Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I the only one..?(pics)*UPDATE**..*2nd UPDATE**

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:49 PM
  • 191 Replies

...who let's their baby sleep outside? It's 20 degrees now outside and my son is sleeping very happily outside in our balcony! He will sleep outside his two naps of the day for 2 1/2 hours each.. I just make sure he is completely bundled up and take him for a 20 min walk and come back in and take the stroller in the balcony where he will continue sleeping and will wake up happy and calm and warm like you wouldn't even notice he slept in 20 degree weather!!! Occasionally he will wake up and cry (passing gas or a loud noise..) but I just rock the stroller back and forth for a few min. and he is sound asleep again.. Maybe the people who are having a hard time with their baby sleeping might find this useful... It works for me:)

I know it's uncommon here but VERY common in Finland (that's where I'm from). It gets very cold there and i know people let their baby sleep outside even if it's -2 degrees outside. My mom let me and my brothers sleep naps outside through the year all the way til we were about 3 years old..

Does anyone do the same thing here? Just curious...

This I took just now after a 2 h 45 min. nap!

*UPDATE**

Thank you everyone who has a broad understanding of other cultures where things are done differently from your own..:) And I do understand if you disagree and thank you for saying your opinion as well..:)

My mom says it's good for their immune system...(might just be an old wives tale in finland...but anyway that's one purpose) and also he sleeps much better and wakes up much happier and is happier through out the day as opposed to sleeping the naps inside...so that's why I do it. He already knows it's coming when I start dressing him up and he will let out a big smile and fall right asleep when he is in his stroller.. I don't stay in the balcony with him, I leave the door craked open so I hear him if he cries... and go on with my day...I will check on him a couple of times... He usually wakes up after 2 1/2 hours on the dot. He started sleeping outside when he was 2 weeks old and has done it ever since.

It's the first question my grandmom asks when she calls me (who let all her kids sleep out as well) is that "has he been sleeping outside..??:)". It's just what people have done for decades in Scandinavia... It seems to be good for them somehow. Doctors there will tell you to do it, and make sure you keep doing it til they are toddlers... In Finland I would do it also in the summer but here I have to be careful since it can get so humid that it's not possible most of the time.

You guys should try it out!...and let me know if they liked it!

i have a sheepskin on the stroller , on top of that a baby down blanket that zips up and he wears a regular outfit plus a wool onesie and a wool sweater and a thin jacketlike onesie thing.. and regular socks +wool socks and wool gloves.. and a silkhat + a woolhat. Then I zip him up in the down blanket and put a wol blanket on top + the stroller cover....

*2nd UPDATE**:

Go visit this site and there you will find a piece titled "baby winter naps".

www.suomitalvi.blogspot.com

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nikkiJ86
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:52 PM

Umm,no!

Emmy217

Well, I've never done that...it seems a little too cold for me but...I have heard that it's healthier for babies/children to sleep in a cooler place than for it to be too warm. I just don't know what is considered the "cool temp". I thought maybe in the 60's rather than the 70's...but I really don't know. And if he's bundled up and wakes up warm....I guess it seems okay.

worwalkerlds
Ive heard of doing that for children with breathing problems, but other than that, I dont know why you would want to leave you child to sleep out in the cold! Im really trying to be open minded and not bash you for what your customs are, I just dont understand them. Even tho it is very common in Finland, I still think its too cold for the baby.... Why do you do it? What is the purpose behind this custom?
momof3jam
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:53 PM

Wow, I've never heard of that... I'd worry about frostbite, or animals, or anything weird - I'd be too nervous and probably sit out there too... It seems weird to me, but a lot of things seem weird to American standards where they seem normal in other countries...

bratmom3
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:53 PM

um, no   and just curious are you sitting on the porch for the 2 1/2 hr naps with him? every time?  that doesn't sound healthy or wise to me,  people turn people in to cps for this kind of behavior.  JMO I'm certainly NOT bashing, just stating an opinion

lashay21
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:54 PM

well, my son and daughter has to sleep cool so i can see where ur coming from,

xhighonlovex
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:55 PM

No I let my daughter sleep in her warm crib and same with my son.I'm not bashing but it does honestly seem cruel to me..Especially in freezing weather..I just couldn't do that..

Photobucket

My reason I believe in miracles!

timbysmommy
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:56 PM

I let my son sleep out side sometimes but it's only 70 degrees here(San Diego). I think that is a little too cold.  Oh yes and I'm ALWAYS out there with him. I usually let him sleep in his stroller when I'm gardening or something.

Janis198
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:58 PM

I think 20 is too cold,

I do keep my bedroom about 55 at night thou, because I can't stand to sleep when it;s too warm. I grew up in a old farm house that had no heat upstairs and some mornings I would wake up and see my breath.

But I am picturing you, taking your baby who was in the house  where it  was warm and dressing him really warm and putting him ont he porch to sleep, sound really weird to me.

Janis mommy to 5 great kidshaving chocolate

milmiracle
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Outdoors is good for your health.  Nothing wrong w/ that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)