Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Taxes?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:18 PM
  • 15 Replies

Does anyone know a thing or two about filing taxes?

I know to use TurboTax, which works for us because we have simple returns to do, and only have to do Federal.. but here's the question I need to ask.

The job that I work I do not make a lot at and the do NOT take out federal. Apparently you have to make so much before a percentage of federal will come out of your check.

Well my man and I have been together for 6 1/2 years, and have lived together for 6 years and 3 months, the past 3 almost 4 years living together in Texas. According to Texas Law we're common law ( we will be getting married this Spring officially).

My mom mentioned something about me filing my taxes with him , where he would claim 4 dependents ( him, me, and our 2 kids), and then it would be head of household filing jointly. Is that correct? I mean him filing head of household, jointly with me ( even though we aren't married), and claim 4 dependants?

Or should I just let him file head of household with 3 dependants?

Which would get us more of a return, and is the 4 dependant option legal?

You can tell taxes aren't my place, my mom went to school for them, but she said she's never done one with that kind of scenario.

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MELISSA0318
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:36 PM

yes i would file with him and let him claim yall i am in texas as well before me and my husband were married we did this but offically it will make you married once you file like this. you would get more back if you do this.just message me if you have any more questions.

Wiifeytype1025
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:38 PM

He can't claim himself as a dependant! He should file Single - HOH, claim you and the 2 kids as dependents AS LONG AS YOU MADE LESS THAN 3500 otherwise you can't be considered a dependent either.

Hope that helps!

I'm a 24 year old, *single* mom, to a 13 month old princess, and a prince on the way. I'm 33 weeks pregnant, I've had previa, abruption, gall bladder surgery, kidney stones, preterm labor and have been passing out, but this little boy is worth it all. I've been through postpartum depression, domestic violence, my parents divorce, losing my job & becoming poor, losing my car, and my license, and becoming a single mom... all in the last year and I'm still glad to be here!!

I *LOVE* my kids more than anything else on this planet!

MomTo2BabesTX
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:41 PM

So when I do them.. I would have him as Head of Household filing Jointly with me?

I just don't want us to get in trouble.. with the IRS.. they look mean! Lol.

Quoting MELISSA0318:

yes i would file with him and let him claim yall i am in texas as well before me and my husband were married we did this but offically it will make you married once you file like this. you would get more back if you do this.just message me if you have any more questions.

MomTo2BabesTX
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:42 PM

He can claim himself as a dependant.. because when he originally did he taxes.. he put a 0.. so that the most would be taken out, and he would get more back at tax time ( most people file this way). I didn't make anywhere near 3500..... hence I don't even make enough for federal to be taken out to begin with.

Quoting Wiifeytype1025:

He can't claim himself as a dependant! He should file Single - HOH, claim you and the 2 kids as dependents AS LONG AS YOU MADE LESS THAN 3500 otherwise you can't be considered a dependent either.

Hope that helps!

lilyrose73
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:44 PM

He can't file HOH and Jointly.... they are two separate things.  He can file HOH with the kids, but the only way you can be considered a dependant is if you fall under certain criteria.  I would talk to an accountant.

Quoting MomTo2BabesTX:

So when I do them.. I would have him as Head of Household filing Jointly with me?

I just don't want us to get in trouble.. with the IRS.. they look mean! Lol.

Quoting MELISSA0318:

lilyrose73
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:50 PM

According to the IRS, you wouldn't be a qualifying dependant if your SO files HOH because you are not related:

Here's from the IRS web site.  It is long, but explains the qualifications for HOH.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p501/ar02.html#en_US_publink100041781

Jabrw0ke
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:54 PM

I clamed one child and BF clamed one child and we got $2000 more than we would have with me claming both kids.

lilyrose73
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Quoting barbroach59:

OKAY IN THE STATE OF  TEXAS YOU CAN  FILE  TOGETHER  AND JOINTLY IF YOU CARE  COMMON  LAW,  JUST MAKE SURE ALL YOUR INFO IS  CORRECT WHEN YOU FILE  , TEXAS IS  DIFFERENT  SO I CHECKED FOR YOU AND YES YOU CAN  FILE TOGETHER, AND CLAIM  YOUR  CHILDREN IT WILL BE  YOU AND  HIM AND THE  TWO KIDS, SO YES IT IS LEGAL  HOPE THAT HELPS I ALSO LIVE IN  TEXAS 

She's asking about filing Head of Household.... which is only for single people with dependants.   They can joint file, he can file HOH and she can file by herself, but he can't do HOH with her as a dependant.

MomTo2BabesTX
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Thank you.. you just saved me a 5 hour headache.. I was on IRS looking for something like this.. glad I came back to see you posted this link.. but I did find how we file..

Married filing jointly

Quoting lilyrose73:

According to the IRS, you wouldn't be a qualifying dependant if your SO files HOH because you are not related:

Here's from the IRS web site.  It is long, but explains the qualifications for HOH.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p501/ar02.html#en_US_publink100041781

barbroach59
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 3:03 PM

OKAY IN THE STATE OF  TEXAS YOU CAN  FILE  TOGETHER  AND JOINTLY IF YOU CARE  COMMON  LAW,  JUST MAKE SURE ALL YOUR INFO IS  CORRECT WHEN YOU FILE  , TEXAS IS  DIFFERENT  SO I CHECKED FOR YOU AND YES YOU CAN  FILE TOGETHER, AND CLAIM  YOUR  CHILDREN IT WILL BE  YOU AND  HIM AND THE  TWO KIDS, SO YES IT IS LEGAL  HOPE THAT HELPS I ALSO LIVE IN  TEXAS 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)