• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My toddler won't eat..

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:27 PM
  • 9 Replies

My son just turned one and we are giving him whole milk and a formula bottle at night to help him sleep through the night. During the day I like to give him just whole milk and feed him solid food. For breakfast I usually do some oatmeal with fruit and soggy cherios for him to play in! I usually do for lunch and dinner, half of a stage 3 jar of food (spag, chicken and veggies, stuff like that), then a 3 oz jar of stage 2 veggies, then a 3 oz jar of stage2 fruits. He usually eats all of it.

Well, recently he has not been eating really anything. For example, when he woke up this morning he didn't even want a bottle after sleeping for almost 9 hours that seems odd to me). He will drink milk after awhile, but when I go to feed him solid food he spits it out and doesn't want anything to do with food. It worries me because I know just whole milk won't keep him full and he has been unusually cranky this week (and I'm wondering if he is teething or just growing pains) or I'm worried he's too hungry.

Have any of you gone through this? Any advice? Hopefully I'm not the only one going through this..any advice would be appreciated!! Thanks!!

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
FJackel
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Have you tried him on just solid foods. No baby food or formula. My little one refuses to eat baby food. Try that and see what happens. Good Luck!

in loveblowing bubblestoddler boybaby boy

Hubby and          Zoey~4        Zayne~2       Zayden~1

doodles22
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Thanks for the idea!! What kinds of solid foods could I try?

Quoting FJackel:

Have you tried him on just solid foods. No baby food or formula. My little one refuses to eat baby food. Try that and see what happens. Good Luck!

mom2ljh
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:35 PM

My son goes through stages of not eating very well.  Perhaps your son is getting tired of baby food.  At 1 he's PLENTY old enough for normal food.  Try giving him whatever y'all are eating and he may have a lot more interest in it.  If he's teething, especially molars, he may not eat hardly anything.  My son is getting 3 molars and really only wants hard things right now, like animal crackers, dry breadsticks, etc.  He gets hemp milk twice a day, and juice once a day. 

Amanda~Cloth Diapering, Non-Spanking, Attached Mommy to my little miracle, Landon Joel, born 6 weeks too soon, 6-21-07, former refluxer, multiple food allergies, coolest kid on the block!

Then                                           Now

bec94
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:38 PM

I understand! My dd went from an eating machine to 'Come honey please eat'! Keep in mind how fast they grow the 1st year, and after that, they slow down. I also found my dd would become bored with food at times (one week eat only this, next week won't touch it), So I really had to change things up.  They will not starve though...they WILL eat if they are hungry. Other than fruit, I kept her sweets, including juice to a minimum because I didn't want her wanting only sweets. Good luck!

monseymom
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:38 PM

My daughter did that to me - have you tried real food??? Like oatmeal, pasta, chicken, etc? He just might want to try some new tastes! Instead of baby jars, try small pieces of cooked, soft veggies that he can eat by himself.

doodles22
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:38 PM

thank you!

Quoting mom2ljh:

My son goes through stages of not eating very well.  Perhaps your son is getting tired of baby food.  At 1 he's PLENTY old enough for normal food.  Try giving him whatever y'all are eating and he may have a lot more interest in it.  If he's teething, especially molars, he may not eat hardly anything.  My son is getting 3 molars and really only wants hard things right now, like animal crackers, dry breadsticks, etc.  He gets hemp milk twice a day, and juice once a day. 

bec94
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Banana, green beans, peas, peaches, pears, chicken, spaghetti, grapes, waffles/pancakes, yogurt, cheese......pretty much anything soft and cut up small is what I did. Chicken was easy to shred and ground beef was easy too. I also gave dd tuna, but no peanut butter or shellfish.

Quoting doodles22:

Thanks for the idea!! What kinds of solid foods could I try?

Quoting FJackel:

startrace96
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:53 PM

I may not be too much help my DD will not eat either. She's 20 months old. but one of her favoirte things to eat is a cheese sandwich. BTW she still eats some baby food too. Good luck. Sorry I couldnt be too much help, but I'd try cheese sandwich, burger king chicken tenders (i know its not good for her, but if its all she'll eat the ok), pizza, she loves french fries also french fries made out of sweet potatoes.

doodles22
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:31 PM

thank you all so much! i feel a lot better now. it seems like he will at least pick at some food if i let him feed himself and i guess he's finished with the baby food (can't believe he's growing up so fast)! At least I have some warning now that this will keep happening..thank you all for easing my mind!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)