Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! I can't ween my baby into her crib!

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:28 PM
  • 2 Replies

I would really appreciate any kind of advice or tips!

My scenario is: I have an 8 1/2 month old baby, who I decided is ready to start sleeping in her crib. Something I should of done a long time ago and still hit myself over the head for it.

Anyway...About 2 weeks + ago I started weening her off into bed. Doctor's orders since Lyla (my baby) has been nursing too much. I did what everyone told me to do, which is:

Nurse her. Lay her in her crib and sing to her, try to calm her down. Then step out of the room and let her cry it out. Check back in 5 mins. Calm her down. Step out. Check back in 10 mins.

That part works ok for me. It's just her waking up in the middle of the night and just won't stop crying. I'll do the same steps as putting her to sleep. But it doesn't work.

I know it takes a lot of patience. Which I have. But this is taking too long and doesn't seem to be working effectively.

Should I just ween her off of breastfeeding too? I want to continue until she's 1 yr. old. But if that's what I gotta do in order to get her to sleep throughout the night....uughhh.

HELP!

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Jillian
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:30 PM
MomTo2BabesTX
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:48 PM

If you don't want to ween her off of breastmilk.. what about pumping it and giving it to her in a bottle.

Also when she wakes up in the middle of the night, and she's not hungry, etc... then don't take her out of the crib! When you take her out, then she knows that you're always going to take her out. If you're worried about taking her out of the crib to feed her and her not going back down.. I would try and fed her in the crib. Get a boppy or a pillow and lay it under her head, then hold the bottle for her while feeding her. Don't prop the bottle. If you want to keep breast feeding through the breast that gets tricky. I know there once was a crib made where the parent could get in the crib with the child, and that might help you as well. But that's a little expensive.. lol.

I would just try to not take her out of the bed until you're ready to.. even in the morning.. if you know that's she's not starving to death, or really wet, get her some crib toys and let her entertain herself for a 30 minute cat nap, or time for you to get up and get some breakfast made.. we did that with my DD because she would wake up and scream.. knowing I would come get her. Eventually I let her lay in there for 30 minutes, and she started that screaming for me to come get her, I would just hear her over the monitor and go straight to making breakfast for her...

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)