Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long can bottles of formula be stored?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:14 PM
  • 16 Replies

Hello fellow mommys!

Im a new mommy =) and my baby is 6wks old. i just wanted to know if it was safe to store bottles of formula already made in the refrigerator and for how long etc? Me and hubby dread waking up at night to make a bottle everytime. Thanks in advance for replies! xoxo

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:16 PM

You can. Look on the container. I believe a day or so. They also make premade formula. Room temp. pour and serve.

aecooper
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:18 PM

24 hours... what I did was put the water in the bottles and had the formula measured out and put it in the formula thing with different compartments.  When my DD woke up I just had to pour the formula in the water, shake and feed her.  I never warmed the bottles up, she always drinks them at room temp.

Cass0289
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:18 PM

I would like to start doing that but I don't know either so BUMP

Susanjdv861
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:21 PM

i use to store already made bottles in the refridgerator with my son. i don't know how long they good for but i always used them within 24 hours. i never warmed up his bottle either. i gave them to him right out of refridgerator or at room tempature.

mybabygirl32406
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:22 PM

i boiled 12 bottles of water first thing in morning lasted till next morning. any left over was thrown out if over 24 hours. just do them early morning and this way you got all day and night done :) sure made it easy for me.

My Heart, My Soul, My Life!  
leylah2002
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:24 PM

that sounds like a good idea! i have one of those that we use when were out n about! =) thanks!

mybabygirl32406
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:25 PM

i always heated hot water in coffee cup and set bottle in it for minute then  shake it up so no warm spots . microwave take nutrition's out of formula... also can have hot spots in bottle even after testing it on skin.. hope this helps

My Heart, My Soul, My Life!  
leylah2002
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Quoting Susanjdv861:

i use to store already made bottles in the refridgerator with my son. i don't know how long they good for but i always used them within 24 hours. i never warmed up his bottle either. i gave them to him right out of refridgerator or at room tempature.

can you give a 6wk old a cold bottle?

leylah2002
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:26 PM

Quoting mybabygirl32406:

i always heated hot water in coffee cup and set bottle in it for minute then  shake it up so no warm spots . microwave take nutrition's out of formula... also can have hot spots in bottle even after testing it on skin.. hope this helps

wow good info! we always microwave his bottles not knowing that happens. Now i know! Thanks again!

Sweetestgirl79
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:26 PM

i believe the liquid is no more then 48 hours after opening

and the powder is 24 hrs so if u mix it you can only store it for 24 hrs....or it loses nutrients.

i used to buy the powder and mis bottles everyday with my first child

but now i just found it easier to make a bottle one at a time..the first 4 weeks she would wake for a night time feeding and i would just dump the powder in water then feed her

she is three months old as of yesterday and i just do it by a bottle by bottle basis so in the am when she wakes i just mix one then every feeding...if my mom comes to watch her i pre mix one or two and she usually just drinks it right out of the fridge..

good luck with everything just read the can of formula cause some are different

Come join us and have fun losing those extra babyweight pounds!!!!!!! get the support u want and help support others

mommy weight be gone 2009

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)