• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

wic and breastfeeding???

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:56 PM
  • 18 Replies

I have decided i am going to breastfeed the new baby... but i am also gonna do wic for the other stuff my mom said she was watching the tv and there was a commerical that said you get a enhanced food package when you breastfeed and use wic... i tried to look it up (google) but it didn't give me details.... does anyone know about this.... if not can you bump me please so i can get some details thanks

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TannersMommy09
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:57 PM

I'm curious to know as well.... *bump*

Nursing Bras at Nurtured Family
Krysta622
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:58 PM

At least here in NY, breastfeeding mothers receive milk, juice, eggs, cheese, cereal, peanut butter or beans, carrots and tuna.  If you breastfeed past 12 mos, they stop giving you these things at 12 mos.   When the baby is around 5-6 months, they add infant cereal and juice for the baby.

therzmommy
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:59 PM

nope never heard of this... but i remember the first time around they used tyo have carrots... thats it ... that was the only diff

momofeddienseb
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Wic gives you food such as milk,cheese,eggs, peanut butter, cereal, juice, and i am not 100% sure if they give you something extra or BFing. I was BF and got wic and i still got the same foods. You can get wic while pregnant and then 6 months after.

Blinkie Maker
Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:59 PM

You may get a loan breast pump. If a "at risk" child and mother need it more, they may ask you to give it back. You get extra milk products, carrots, tuna. Can't remember what else, to many years ago. When child turns one you get whole milk, cearal, juice....things like that.

momofeddienseb
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:00 PM

Forgot to add about cereal and juice

Quoting Krysta622:

At least here in NY, breastfeeding mothers receive milk, juice, eggs, cheese, cereal, peanut butter or beans, carrots and tuna. If you breastfeed past 12 mos, they stop giving you these things at 12 mos. When the baby is around 5-6 months, they add infant cereal and juice for the baby.

Blinkie Maker
Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:02 PM

They also really pride themselves in breastfeeding mothers and will give you extra gifts when you come for your appointments.

The_Purple
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:03 PM
Yes, I am getting WIC here in VA and it is the same.
Quoting Krysta622:

At least here in NY, breastfeeding mothers receive milk, juice, eggs, cheese, cereal, peanut butter or beans, carrots and tuna.  If you breastfeed past 12 mos, they stop giving you these things at 12 mos.   When the baby is around 5-6 months, they add infant cereal and juice for the baby.

worwalkerlds
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:03 PM
You get things like tuna, carrots, and split peas... Milk of course, and eggs... Im not sure what else. I get WIC and I breastfeed, but my SO does all the grocery shopping, but yea, you get more of a variety of things then when you were pregnant.
Krysta622
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:04 PM

No I didn't lol. :)

Quoting momofeddienseb:

Forgot to add about cereal and juice

Quoting Krysta622:

At least here in NY, breastfeeding mothers receive milk, juice, eggs, cheese, cereal, peanut butter or beans, carrots and tuna. If you breastfeed past 12 mos, they stop giving you these things at 12 mos. When the baby is around 5-6 months, they add infant cereal and juice for the baby.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)