• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do you believe in teaching your children to wait until mariage ......

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:23 PM
  • 136 Replies

to have sex? i didn't wait and i kind of wish i did or at least wait until i might my husband. this day in age STD's run crazy it just scares me thinking about my daughter having sex at such an young age. i know its very rear but people do wait and i think its kind of romantic. imagine getting married and having sex for the first time with someone you know who really loves you. i am not saying that if didn't wait and had sex with someone that you loved thats not a bad thing. i guess i really want to teach my daughter to everything about sex but also tell her that if she wants to wait she should. i just hope she makes the right decisions and if she doesn't want to wait i will help her get birth control. i just do not think its realistic but just wondering what everyone thinks.

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jennifer16
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:26 PM

I hope if I ever have a daughter that she would wait but I don't know if anyone still does now. I was 19 when I got married and waited to be with my husband!! I was shocked yesterday when reading that post about how young people were their first time and there were so many people that said 13-15. That is just crazy to me and I am not that old, I am only 25 but I feel old thinking that way!

lillysmomma124
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:27 PM

heck ya.. with my 1 little girl me and my ex husband did wait until we was married.. but now i am with a great guy well my 2 baby is on the way, and we didn't wait, but we will get married someday..

Gizzy22
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:28 PM
I believe in that.. I wish i would have waited longer then 14 years old.. Yupp i was 14.. And i guess i will teach my kids to wait until marriage but IF they dont then i wont be mean about it, cause i myself didnt. I would just inform them on what can happen an hope they will wait... Nothing more we can do ya know.. I wont be the parent that allows them to do whatev er they want and have thir boyfriend over and spend the night like my mom did.. I will be more strict when it comes to that. but i can see myself getting mad at my daughter then her throwing in my face i didnt wait you had me at 18.. kind of stuff. So i guess like i said before i will hope for the best and teach her all i can.

Photobucket
ILoveMyBabies10
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:28 PM

Im 29 years old, I started dating my husband when I was 16 and he was 19 we dated for five years we were both virgins when we got married.....It was an awkaward moment, but Im SO glad we waited, cuz we were able to giggle, and laugh at the situation together....I had 7 boyfriends before him...we didnt last over 8 months, because I wouldnt put out....I hope my daughter does the same as I did......and I will stress it to her.......but I cant be with her every minute, and I just hope she uses good judgement!

DominicAlexis2-1-1.jpg picture by Iluvmybabies1011DominicAlexis4-2.jpg picture by Iluvmybabies1011

DominicAlexis8-1-1.jpg picture by Iluvmybabies1011100_1169-3.jpg picture by Iluvmybabies1011DOMINIC-1.jpg picture by Iluvmybabies1011

tippymorgan08
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:29 PM

Yep! My husband and I will teach our children to wait.

We have a religious household and we plan on teaching them what the Bible says. Whether they follow that or not is their choice; God gave us free will. I was taught the same thing and didn't follow it, but I did educate and protect myself. Same goes for my husband. All we can do is teach them what the good book says, teach them about protection, and pray that they make the right decisions.

I am a Christian, natural birthing, delayed cord clamping, breastfeeding, holistic circumcising, extended rear facing, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, baby wearing, selectively vaccinating, Obama supporting, full time working, happily married, Texas momma!
kmyree2207
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:30 PM

i didnt wait and i dont regret it because i dont think that i would want to share that painful experience with my new husband...i was glad that i was experienced when i got married because it wasnt embarrassing or shameful,  it was enjoyable and pleasurable because i knew what i was doing and wasnt going into it "blind folded".  i think that teaching your children moral values are very important and teaching them to respect themselves is important also...letting them know that its okay to wait if they wish to do so is very okay.  teaching them all about sex is a good thing also....it all depends on how you were raised and what your values are.

If anyone ever needs advice on relationships like marriage, friends, family, or thinking about divorce or you are divorced and need help with your es husband?.....join this new group!!!

www.cafemom.com/group/need_advice
lulumomof2
by Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:31 PM

I didn't wait until I was married but it was with my hubby. I would hope that me talking to my boys about that having sex is more than just the physical thing, but (can be) an emotional connection to another person. And that it should be taken very seriously.

Free Tibet! End the violence in Burma!

karwil200
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:32 PM

Quoting Gizzy22:

I believe in that.. I wish i would have waited longer then 14 years old.. Yupp i was 14.. And i guess i will teach my kids to wait until marriage but IF they dont then i wont be mean about it, cause i myself didnt. I would just inform them on what can happen an hope they will wait... Nothing more we can do ya know.. I wont be the parent that allows them to do whatev er they want and have thir boyfriend over and spend the night like my mom did.. I will be more strict when it comes to that. but i can see myself getting mad at my daughter then her throwing in my face i didnt wait you had me at 18.. kind of stuff. So i guess like i said before i will hope for the best and teach her all i can.

wow 14 that is young i was about 17 so that probably isn't any better lol. its not her getting pregnant its her ending up with a STD my brother is still in high school and he told me that 1/2 the school has some form of an STD or had that shocked me since i went there.

SFerber
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:32 PM

Yes I am. 

But it is much more intricate than just saying NO, not until marriage. I have been teaching my kiddos about their body, their privacy, their gift, in terms of puzzle pieces and how some pieces fit together and others do not and some relationships even though the peice seems to fit it has to be forced. So far so good - one is 15 1/2 and not ever kissed. the other is almost 13 and the same.

I tell them their sexuality is like a treasure chest loaded down with jewels.  It is full when we are little girls and if we, open up our treasure chest for just anyone then one by one their jewels are removed and one day. THE day they finally marry that very special someone, that treasure chest of (sensuality, security, trust, freedom, play, passion,) may only have a couple of marbles inside.  I ask them, when you give him your "treasure" do you want it to have HIGH value or little value? 

When we are selfish in lovemaking becomes a chore, or non existent heaven forbid. 

I only wish my mother had the where-with-all to explain the deeper meaning of sex to me.  It is the glue that keeps marriages together and it is a reward for couples who are faithful to one another. 

karwil200
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Quoting tippymorgan08:

Yep! My husband and I will teach our children to wait.

We have a religious household and we plan on teaching them what the Bible says. Whether they follow that or not is their choice; God gave us free will. I was taught the same thing and didn't follow it, but I did educate and protect myself. Same goes for my husband. All we can do is teach them what the good book says, teach them about protection, and pray that they make the right decisions.

i completely agree with you i believe that if she waits it will be that much more specail i believe that God wants us to wait and i wish i listened but hey i know now what i didn't know then. i just will make sure to voice my OP to her about God's word.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)