Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i can't stand the woman anymore!

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:31 PM
  • 3 Replies

My baby shower is Feb 22nd and this is my first baby. Well my SO's mom who hasn't done anything for the shower besides give everyone her two cents....told my SO today that she thinks he should be there to help me open presents bc I'm so shy. wtf! I barely talk to the women bc she never comes over and my SO can't even stand her bc she's so fake. She's trying to take over the baby shower. It's all women and it's at a restaurant/hall. Then she keeps insisting that my SO's daughters be there they are 8 and 10. My SO said they would just be bored bc there's no other kids coming and they tend to be a lot of commotion. So we decided we would celebrate with them after the shower with another cake and decorations and i could show them everything i got. My SO even said it's supposed to be about me and the baby for the shower. I'm so sick of her...now she doesn't even want me to open presents.       

pregnancy calendar
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Tarable525
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:17 PM

get all hormonal on her and be like "listen here, it's my shower and his kiddos.  we've talked about what we want to do and you can either accept it and shut the hell up or just plan on not coming".  well you don't have the say it exactly like that, but get hormonal.  trust me, it helps.  i had to get all hormonal at my baby shower because of stuff and that's the only way to get people to listen to you and what you want. 

stress to her that it's your baby, your shower and SO's kiddos and you're going to do things how you want to do them.  stand up for yourself now or she'll try to tell you how to raise your baby and everything else.  tell her that if she wants your step daughters to be there then she can get herself pregnant (use "knocked up", it'll be funny to watch her expression) and have the shower the way SHE wants to have it.  untill then, this is how things are going to be done. 

with my SO's family i had to get bitchy about some things with my DD to finally get the point across that i'm her mother and we're doing things my way.  i almost went off on his aunt who thought it was ok to stick a sucker in her mouth this christmas.  she was only 6 months old and that sucker had been in the mouth of two other kids.  i snapped at her that i didn't want her having suckers and later she actually apologized to me for doing it.  she's the type that never says "sorry" and knows everything about kids because she raised 8 of them. 

SleepingBeauty1
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:33 PM

From personal experience put your foot down now!!! Don't be nice about it either. If you don't like something that she is doing say something. I didn't say anything to my aunt who completely took over my shower and I regret it. It wasn't my shower anymore it was hers. I wanted like maybe one tasteful game she said NO!Since she was paying for it she wanted a "naked shower" which is where no one wraps their gifts and just puts them on a table. I mean whats the fun in that. This was my first child and I pray my next is a girl so I don't have another. It was not fun and none of my friends had fun. Don't let this happen to you, don't be nice. What the woman said in front of me "get hormonal!!!"

Or you can take the route I took and kept my mouth shut and got over it. I appreciated what she did for me but I wouldn't have definitely did it much more differently!

Miranda926
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:34 PM

I agree you have to put your foot down.  When I got pregnant with my 2nd my MIL was insistant that I have a baby shower, I didn't want/need one...I was having another girl.  She thought she was going to be slick and force one on me.  I found out about it, and told her that no matter what she thought if I showed up to an unplanned, unwanted baby shower I would throw the biggest, nastiest fit she had ever seen, embarass her infront of all her little chronies and leave her standing to have a baby shower for herself.  It worked...hormones are a wonderful thing sometimes lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)