Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

need help ASAP

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:51 PM
  • 8 Replies

Can a mother or fatehr sigin over there parental rights before the the baby is born?

I`m help a friend out with an adoption, and the family that might be adopting wants the Birthfather to sigin his  parental rights away ASAP, before the baby is due?!?

I didnt think you could do that, i thought you HAD to wait till the birth of the child. Am i wrong?

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
marblet
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:52 PM

Nope! He can sign them away right now.

MornmyOfOne
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:54 PM

So could the mother? Or atless doesnt she have to wait since she preg with it, it would be kinda hard to give your rights up when you still carring it right?

Quoting marblet:

Nope! He can sign them away right now.

KylieJF
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:54 PM

I think in most states, if not all, a father can sign away legal rights to a child before the birth.

porky29
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:04 PM

from what i know is that the birth mother ands father have to sign their rights away before the child is born.

MornmyOfOne
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:08 PM

How could a BM sign her rights away when the unborn child is STILL in side her?

I didnt think you could but the adoptive family is scared that she back out, so they said that there lawyer could do paper where BM and BF would sign away the rights ASAP. tthe baby not due to july

Quoting porky29:

from what i know is that the birth mother ands father have to sign their rights away before the child is born.

MornmyOfOne
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:17 PM

bump

shannonmarie77
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:46 PM

I think in the case of adoption the lawyer can draw up paper work to remove parental rights for the adoption.  Most states will not allow the birth father to sign away his rights to another besides in the case of adoption to another family, or the new husband of the mother.

marblet
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:36 PM

I don't know abt where you are at, but here in UT the BF can sign away before the baby is born. The mom on the other hand can't sign away rights untill the baby is born and she can't be on pain killers when she signs. They want her in her full clear mind so that she can't go back later and say that she was impared. I understand this families want to have them sign away right now. But July is a long ways away. And yes the mom might change her mind after she feels that baby moving in her. That's a tough one. I think that she's kinda crazy for picking out adoptive parents so soon in the pregnancy. imo

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)