Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My baby won't take Nystatin drops--what do i do??

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:40 PM
  • 2 Replies

Hi!   So the doctor said she has thrush and i got the drops, but she literally HATES them. every time i try to drop it in her mouth she makes this disgusted face and spits it right out.. I tried to put it on a qtip and rub in her cheeks but I dont know if its enough it says drop 1ml in each cheek.. And he said put the drops on my nipples too cuz she might have given it to me and i did and she doesn't even want to take the breast cuz it tastes like the drops.. Any help or advice?? Thanks for reading!

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Raychillbro
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:54 PM

no idea darlin but heres a bump!

autumnsmommy02
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:55 PM

Lay her on her back put the dropper along the inside of her cheek as far back in the mouth as you can and release the drops. If you squeeze her cheeks to get her lips to stay open than you can drop the medicine in. Hold her cheeks for a few seconds after you drop it in to make sure it's swallowed. You can then dip the q-tip and use that to spread it on her cheek. Do the same on both sides. This prevents her from being able to spit it out. Don't feed for a while after you give the medicine so the milk doesn't wash the medicine off the thrush. You can medicate yourself at this time too or after she is through feeding a few times a day that way the taste isn't there.

And I know they tell you to boil anything she puts in her mouth like pacifier or bottle nipples... If you use any I'd buy new once the thrush is just about completely gone. We fought thrush for 3 months (reinfection) and couldn't figure out what the problem was. We finally stopped boiling everything and threw them away. We bought all new stuff on the last day he took the nystatin and he never got it back.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)