• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

car seat question?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:59 PM
  • 7 Replies

I have a question about car seats my son is 2 1/2 and is currently in the carseat that has the straps (five point harness) my question is the instructions said the straps only hold up to 40 pounds and he is 39...... but the car seats that have the back and you use the seat belt don't look that safe to me. So my question is do I leave him in the car seat he is in , but that isn't safe if he exceeds the weight limit or do I go ahead and switch him into the big boy high backed booster seat and use the belt?

Thanks for your help and pease don't bash I just want the safest way.

this is the careseat he is in now

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
autumnsmommy02
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:05 PM

You may need to look into a seat that harnesses to 65 lbs. like the Britax Marathon, Graco Nautilus, Radian 65 or first years true fit. You shouldn't use a high back booster until your child is about 4 yrs. old.

Sillieguze
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:06 PM

From what I've been told, your son needs to stay in a 5 point harness car seat until he's 4 years old and weighs at least 40 pounds.  So I think you need to buy him a car seat that harnesses with a higher weight limit, I think they make some that harness up to 65 pounds.  I hope that helps.  I'm sure there's other people that know more about car seats who will add to this post.

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
2withBlue
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:08 PM

yeah he seems pretty young for a booster seat just yet. I would try to find a cheap carseat at (biglots) or place like that I know a Graco is around $70 and it fits up to 65lbs

Braylonsmommy19
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:13 PM

okay thank you everyone I didn't know they made car seats where the straps held up to more weight.... I am glad because I didn't want to put him a booster seat but I didn't want him to not be safe either.... I will have to look into another 5 point harness seat thanks again

lwoolsey
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:14 PM

i have a graco nautilus car seat i have inclosed a link. its a really great car seat i got one a year ago for my then 2 and a half yr old and she is about to be 3 and a half. The five point harness goes from 20 to 65 pounds and the head rest moves up and down to go with your child as they grow. It also changes into a high back booster and a backless booster. check out the info this car seat is really good and well worth the money. o ya its from walmart

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8112222

LoriAnn87
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:30 PM

I alos have the natulis for my son and i love because the seat will grow with, it was a great price but most it got a really great rating.

hurleydoll18
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Yes, he needs to be moved to another higher weight harnessing seat since he has hit the weight limit for his current seat and is much too young for the belt positioning booster.  One of the best choices for a forward facing child is the Graco Nautilus.  It harnesses to 65lbs and will then turn to a high back and backless booster.  The harness fits most children to 7-8 yrs old, assuming they don't hit 65lbs before that time.  It should be the last car seat he'll need. 

I have to add that you have him harnessed all wrong and it is extremely dangerous with the way you have him buckled in.  You do not put the adult seatbelt over him when he is using the harness.  There are instructions in the manual on how to install the car seat using the seatbelt.  There will be a belt path on the back side of the car seat that you put the seat belt through.  Please see a certified car seat tech to show you the correct way to do it.  You can find one by clicking on the link in my siggy.  Also, it appears in the pic that his shoulders come above the top harness slot being used.  This is a huge no no!  It will compress his shoulders in an accident, causing spine and shoulder injuries.  The harness is outgrown forward facing when the child either reaches the max weight limit, his shoulders come above the very top harness slot or when the child's ears even out with the top of the car seat shell.  For forward facing, the harness must always come out of the harness slot either AT or ABOVE the child's shoulders.  In the pic, his harness appears to be tight enough.  You shouldnt be able to pinch together the harness while it is sitting on the shoulder.  His chest clip is down at his belly when it must be up at armpit level on the chest.  This keeps the harness in the correct position on the body so it can keep the child in place during an accident.  It appears that the straps are twisted but that just may be the way it looks.  If it is twisted, it must be corrected immediately.  It is very dangerous to have the harness twisted and the seat will not protect the child properly in an accident with them like that. 

I hate to say it but the way he is sitting in the pic is almost like a death trap and there will be nothing holding him down in an accident.  Over 95% of car seats are installed and being used incorrectly so, sadly, it is a common thing.  It is very important that you find a tech in your area so you can correct these things and keep your child safe in the car.  You can have the safest car seat in the world but it won't help any if it isn't being used correctly.  Feel free to PM if you have any questions

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)