Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Croupe Cough

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:24 PM
  • 11 Replies

Alice was sick w/ sinus problems, a high fever, and a scratchy throat for about 4 days. She sarted feeling much better w/ just the sinus issues sticking around. Its been a week now and today she woke up w/ increased sinus problems and a croupe cough. I am not sure if croupe cough is the actual term or the right spelling of it but its that deep down cough that kinda sounds like a donkey.......

Besides the cough and her sinus problems she is fine. No fever atm or anything.

Should I take her to the DR for this cough?

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
norbert
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:36 PM

How old is she?? Does cold air help with the cough?? I would at the very least give the doctor a call and see what they say.   My son gets a nasty cough sometimes especially if he has had a runny nose.  Mucinex (sp?) works really well for him helps loose up chest congestion and  quiets his cough. 

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:44 PM

With younger children and babies, I prop them with a pillow so sinus does not go straight back into lungs. Small babies-I put the pillow under the crib matress. I would not worry if it is only when she first wakes up for a few hours. Lots of fluids.

inwonderland888
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:46 PM

She had it this morning but its almost bed time now and its actually starting to get worse.

Alice is 14 months.

inwonderland888
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:47 PM

I'll prop her up tonight and I also have a humidifier going and see how she is in the morning...

Quoting Mamamanic:

With younger children and babies, I prop them with a pillow so sinus does not go straight back into lungs. Small babies-I put the pillow under the crib matress. I would not worry if it is only when she first wakes up for a few hours. Lots of fluids.

inwonderland888
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:49 PM

I havent brought her outside at all (its snowey) so i am not sure. We'll go out on the porch for just few minutes. Poor girl is feeling really miserable right now.

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2009 at 12:57 AM

At night sometimes to is sinus related. If all day long, then I would take mine in just to have her lungs checked.

Quoting inwonderland888:

She had it this morning but its almost bed time now and its actually starting to get worse.

Alice is 14 months.

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2009 at 12:58 AM

Sometimes that gunk just hangs on for 2 weeks. Thats what the ped always tells me about the sinus-2 weeks.

luna_moon
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 12:59 AM

If not for the cough but for the sinuses, i get sinus infections all the time and they can get pretty bad. and can not be involved with her being sick at all if it's lasted over 5 days to a week she should go

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2009 at 1:08 AM

Usually if secondary infection. A fever will come back after already being sick with a fever. That is how I always know they need amoxacillion.

Quoting luna_moon:

If not for the cough but for the sinuses, i get sinus infections all the time and they can get pretty bad. and can not be involved with her being sick at all if it's lasted over 5 days to a week she should go

samanthasmom05
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 1:15 AM

When I Was Born I Was Diagnosed With Chronic Croupe That Is A Cough That I Will Never Get Rid Of And The Only Time I Get It Is When I Have A Bad Cold Or Something On That Line. Its A Deep Cough Like She Said Sounds Like "A Donkey" LoL I Have To Get Medication Everytime I Have It I Dont Know About The Basic Croupe But I Know Mine Is A Life Diagnosis. It Hurts Your Throat And Your Chest Everytime. I Hope Your Little One Is Okey. But I Would Definately Have Her Checked If You Think Its Croupe. It Can Get Pretty Nasty I Know It Can Last About 2-3 Weeks Without Other Symptoms Being There Anymore. GOOD LUCK>< Hope Your Little One Feels Better Soon. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)