Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I can't take this screaming!

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:43 AM
  • 5 Replies

My dd is 15 months old and just started screaming.  Out of nowhere she will just shreik.  Its annoying at home, but in public it really bothers me and is embarrassing.  I know she is just doing it because she doesn't know many words yet and doesn't know how to communicate what she wants, but I can't stand it.   What is the best way to deal with it?  Should I tell her don't scream, I don't like it, or should I ignore her, or what?  Please don't suggest spanking or any kind of hitting.  Thanks.

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
ANewPerspective
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:55 AM

From the time my DD was probably 6 months we've told her "use your words" when she would scream at us (because she wanted something - not because she's tired or hungry). I know at 6 months she didn't understand it... but now she's 13 months and when she gets mad and screams we tell her "screaming is not okay - use your words" and she'll point to what she wants or doesn't want (normally if she has clothes she can't take off it's because her diaper...and she'll point to her pants). Sometimes her sippy is on the table - she'll point. Maybe you could try something like that? That's the only thing I can think of. Good luck. 

lilmomma4
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:01 AM

I found starting around 6 months or so using baby sign language helps.You can find sign books or videos almost anywhere and online. Maybe that could help her tell you things she can't really say. 

kiley.rae13
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:05 AM

We also use baby Sign language.. It works WONDERS!. My son can ask for help, say please, more, milk, up, eat ..ect. It has really taken out any kind of communication frustration plus its good for brain development in the ways of they know from an early age that there is more then one way to express themselfs. I love it. It takes alot of practice and patience but TOTALLY worth it. 

SugarMama99200
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:20 AM
Kala297
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:51 AM

My son is only 4 months old and has been doing the screaming when he wants something for the last month or so. He's so young i thought to be starting that. But anyway, I'm trying to figure out what to do too. He's too young to understand being told no yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)