Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Questions for the use to co-sleep or still Mama's out there, sorry it's long

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:37 AM
  • 3 Replies

Well this is about my now 3 year old boy, he will be 4 in Aug. He slept in a bassinet for the first 4 months or maybe 5 months, but he was also VERY ill as a baby, ear infections that would not go away, one in one ear for 6 months. 

So to say the least for us to get much of any sleep, we would hold him and sleep in bed with us, because we were getting NO sleep.. and we have two older kids...

So when he got better, he went on a mattress by us, as we were buying new bedroom things, we were on the floor with our matters also, and we were in a two bedroom apartment so he didn't have his own room.. he had a crib but WOULD NOT sleep in it, he would throw up after 20 mins of crying, and hubby when I was NOT home, let him cry for over a hour and he still never fell asleep in the crib... so because we were in an apartment, it was just better to let him sleep with us...  So he has always been in our bed, or when his crib in the toddler bed role, pushed up to our bed, and most times he would crawl over and be in the middle anyway, I think hubbies feet were in the crib more.

So when we found out we were going to have another baby, we worked on getting him into his own bed... we moved so we had more room, but he was going to have the same room as his older brother.. my husband would sleep in there in his twin bed with him until he would fall asleep, then come to bed.. or sleep in there all night just because he can sleep any where..   

He has been sleeping on his own for some time now, and doing really well... but for the last few weeks... I mean he has been sleeping in his own bed for a year...   But the last few weeks, it's been really hard lots of tears and him getting up over 30 times to try to sleep any where then his bed...

I need some help in what to do... ?????????

IN a way I just want to keep my bed just two of us, hubby and me... I don't sleep well when he is bed with us, there just not enough room, he talks in his sleep, and he snores..  and no hubby and me time...  ( new baby sleeps in his crib he was only in my bed for 4 weeks, then we were in the hospital with RSV and then he was besides the crib in the top play pen for 9 weeks or so then into his crib)         But I feel that he is scared or something, so that makes it hard to make him sleep in his room.   So makes it so hard to put him in bed alone his brother is in his room with his brother.  Makes it hard because he has brown eyes like his Mama, the only one out of 4 kids so far...

So what do you do?

I know that we have made a few mistakes if we want to keep him out of our bed, one time at 2am he came in, I didn't hear him hubby let him sleep in bed with us, I didn't know he was there because he was on the other side of hubby.  Then last night he came at 3am, I put him back to bed twice and then he woke up at 5am and I let him in with us... Saturday night he fell asleep in his sisters bed watching movies and we let him stay..

It's hard that it takes two hours to get him to go to sleep, because his brother is 10 he has school and can't sleep because his little brother is crying, or he wakes the baby up too..

Sorry it's so long... just trying to get it all out...  What are some ideas that I can do for him to help him want to sleep in his bed, or be ok again... ??????????????

He is number 3 this should be easy... but it's not.. baby 4 is way easy.. lol... can only hope of what comes next..

Melanie, Wife for 14 years and a Mom, to 13 year old daughter, 10 year old son, 3 year old son, 11 month old son and two angel babies that would also be 11 months old, and Tupperware Consultant!   "Only one life, will soon be passed, only what's done for Christ will last." 

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:42 AM

try giving him tereats when he sleeps in is own bed for a whole night or stars all week ti add up to one big treat at the end of the week good luck

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:46 AM

well first of all, you and your hubby need to be on the same page. If you dont want him in bed with you guys, you both need to put your foot down and not let him in your bed at all.

How about moving his mattress to the doorway....its kinda inconvenient, but he can see you but not be in your bed or your room

Feminism was established to allow unattractive women easier access to the mainstream.

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:56 PM

Does he have a night-lite? Try playing music.  Try laying down with him at night.          I have a cousin who is 11 and his dad still has to lay down with him at night for him to go to sleep. I think he even got up in the middle of the night and went to their bed until he was 8 or 9.  May still do. I don't know.  Do u use a baby monitor still with him. that may comfort him  to know that u r only a holler away.  Try the treat thing if he sleeps thru the night.   good luck   :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)