Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how to take a toddler off the bottle

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:49 AM
  • 11 Replies

1 of my daughter's baby tooth is starting to rot out. and i need to get her off the bottle ASAP!!!

she's 20 months old and spoiled rotten. she knows what she wants and she wants it *NOW*

i've actually gotten her to take the pacifier but at night and during her naps she won't take it. she wants her bottle and she isn't going to bed until she gets it. and she'll scream for hours on end.

she's still a baby so i'm not sure if she quite understand some things you tell her. my mom told me to tell her "your a big girl and big girls don't take bottles, you can have a drink if your boots cup and that's it" she can drink from a regular glass. and her "boots" cup is actually her dora the explorer cup, it's just a little plastic cup not a sippy. she just calls it "boots" lol

but i'm not sure if she'll understand things like that?

what do i do? i'll take any advice as long as you don't bash, i really didn't expect it to be this way. i'm still new to this parenting thing lol

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MumsTheWord571
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 5:07 AM

Isn't your DD screaming all the time? If so the cavity could be at the root of that problem! I would def. be giving Tylenol (I know you said she gets hooked, but that stuff hurts!!) Take her to a dentist. In the meantime give her only water in the bottle. Tell her if she wants milk she has to have it from Boots. taking away too much while her teeth hurt could be too much.

5ontherock
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 5:25 AM

first of all the bottle and pacifier have to go. she is almost 2. time to be a big girl. every child is diffent and its ahr dto gauge with your first chld. but all 3 of mine were off the bottle completely by 12 months at the latest.

tippie cups till 24 months. my last one just turned 2 last month. i admit we still have a few tippies. its not a hard and fast rule. lol. but i jsut hate giving her juice and watching her spill. she spills sooooo much more then her brothers did. but at meal times we all have cups.

get the girl to the dentist. my daughter has a chip or dicoloration onher front tooth. i was worried it was a cavity. but they always told me with my oldest no dentist till 3. guess they changed the rule. anyway it turned out to be NBD and she is fine. but i hate seeing that spot.

some kids are just more prone to cavities. and its hard to brush a kids teeth. i didnt brush thier teeth regualrly until around 18 months to 2 years. too hard to gett them into the routinue. i would just give up and skip it. but now we are diligent. in fact i think she is addicted....

jamie~ wife to Greg ,mom to jonathan 14, Ethan 3.5 and Rhiannon 2.

Medical Scientist on the night shift~
c_boerman
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 6:45 AM

I would get her to a dentist asap to make sure there aren't any serious problems with her teeth like you state it might be.  The best way is to take the bottle away completely!  YES it will be hard for the first week but after that she will forget about it.  Go in your cupboard now and throw EVERY LAST bottle away so you can not give in!  Offer her milk before bed time (I always do this with my 20 month old and have him drink a bit of water afterwards or Ill wipe his teeth and gums down).  We took the bottle away at 13 months and my son LOVED his bottle VERY MUCH but it had to go so I threw them all away thank goodness I did or I would have given in.  He threw a fit for about an hour in his crib (I kept going in there to confront him myself).  By the third day he was fine and could care less about the bottle. 

The longer you delay this the harder it will make it so I do suggest doing it asap.

Hugs mama!

eyegirl
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 6:52 AM

My 14 month old was breastfeed til 9 months with an occasional bottle. After I had to stop BF we only gave him his milk in a bottle. Juice and water in a sippy cup. I took his bottle away at 12 months no problem. Now if he stays with my MIL she will give him a bottle.She says he sleeps better I have no problems. I think thats her excuse to get to hold him.Take the bottle away.There will be tears but you just have to stick to your guns. It's for her own good. I'm having trobles with the paci now.I have to hide it or he'll suck on it all day.

krissybear2003
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:18 AM

I know its hard to listen to her cry, but I had to just throw all the bottles away...if you switch her from the bottle to a pacifier, its gonna be just another battle in the future......I'm having problems doing that with my stepdaughter who is 14mths right now just because everytime I get her taking a cup here at home all the time, she goes to her moms and her mom gives her a bottle......grr

StaceysMom4706
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:26 AM

only put water in the bottle... and if she wants milk, its gotta go into her cup. kids are smart, they know what tastes better!!!! she'll get rid of the bottle on her own!!!  dd was completely off the bottle at 12 1/2 months - as soon as her formula was gone and she was transitioned completely to milk - i never put anything but formula or water in a bottle. milk and juice went into sippy cups.

don't take the nuk away at the same time as the bottle!  too many transitions at once are hard on kids!!! my daughter will be 3 in april and we're just now getting rid of the nuk because of a lot of other transitions that she's been dealing with.

Alexandria

pregnancy due date

Gender Prediction
Get your own gender prediction!

1_Teen_Mom
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:47 AM

my mom it's ok to give her sippy cup to her when she lays down, she takes her sippy cups during the days but when she lays down is the hard time because she knows that she gets a bottle.

i've had 2 hours of sleep because she'll throw a FIT because she wants her bottle. she wants nothing to do with her cup. like she starts tensing her body up and screaming and she'll actually get violant. she bit me this morning!!!!! and pulled my hair!!!

: my daughter loves water. so putting water in her bottle is a treat for her. there isn't anything that she doesn't like when it comes to drinking. she has her cup in her hand at all times during the day and her bottle at night.

i let her CIO with her cup. since my mom said i could. i just gave her sippy cup to her and turned her tv on and said "ok kiddo i'll be back in a few minutes to check on you, get some rest" and she's cried alot but i think from last night and this morning's experiences she's finally getting the hint "hey olivia, your not getting your bottle" 

Quoting StaceysMom4706:

only put water in the bottle... and if she wants milk, its gotta go into her cup. kids are smart, they know what tastes better!!!! she'll get rid of the bottle on her own!!!  dd was completely off the bottle at 12 1/2 months - as soon as her formula was gone and she was transitioned completely to milk - i never put anything but formula or water in a bottle. milk and juice went into sippy cups.

don't take the nuk away at the same time as the bottle!  too many transitions at once are hard on kids!!! my daughter will be 3 in april and we're just now getting rid of the nuk because of a lot of other transitions that she's been dealing with.

smiley630
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:57 AM

I feel for you, however my oldest was off his bottle completely by 14 months and I just started giving him sippys during day and was going to give him bottle at night, after a few weeks he just stopped asking for it.  I hope my 3 month old is as easy as he was. Good luck.

StaceysMom4706
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:54 PM

it was about a year ago that dd started insisting on going to bed with a sippy cup - always water, nothing else.. the problem isn't with them having a cup/bottle with them at night, the problem is when its milk, juice or formula - they all contain sugars that sit on the teeth and damage them. water is fine! another advantage of having a sippy cup of water with her, is dd used to wake up me up just for a drink of water, and it was nearly impossible to get her back to sleep. now she doesn't even completely wake up, she'll roll over, find her cup, drink, and pass back out... i'm in minnesota where its dry right now thanks to having the heat on, and even with a humidifier in her room, she gets the dry cough, and the water helps that, too.

Quoting 1_Teen_Mom:

my mom it's ok to give her sippy cup to her when she lays down, she takes her sippy cups during the days but when she lays down is the hard time because she knows that she gets a bottle.

i've had 2 hours of sleep because she'll throw a FIT because she wants her bottle. she wants nothing to do with her cup. like she starts tensing her body up and screaming and she'll actually get violant. she bit me this morning!!!!! and pulled my hair!!!

: my daughter loves water. so putting water in her bottle is a treat for her. there isn't anything that she doesn't like when it comes to drinking. she has her cup in her hand at all times during the day and her bottle at night.

i let her CIO with her cup. since my mom said i could. i just gave her sippy cup to her and turned her tv on and said "ok kiddo i'll be back in a few minutes to check on you, get some rest" and she's cried alot but i think from last night and this morning's experiences she's finally getting the hint "hey olivia, your not getting your bottle" 

Quoting StaceysMom4706:

Alexandria

pregnancy due date

Gender Prediction
Get your own gender prediction!

SweetPeasMom418
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 6:11 PM
I feel for you. I had the same situation with my daughter where she LOVED her bottle, especially at night. Against all advice, I used to let her fall asleep in my arms drinking the bottle. It was very hard, but by 12 months I had her completely off the bottle. Took almost a week of crying fits, but each day, the screaming became less and less and she understood I was not giving in (because I had thrown all of them away and didn't have a choice ;-) ...but we got through it! You will too!
Sweet Pea's Mom

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)