Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

14 month old disciplene distress

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:42 AM
  • 12 Replies

hello everyone! i have a 14 month old little boy who is absolutely into everything. in my house we have stairs (our halls are very wide and we havent found a baby gate that would fit) and all day he is constantly trying to go up them. i tell him no (first warning) and he gets that sad face and puts his head down. then he waits until he thinks im not paying attention and tries to continue up the stairs, then i go over to him tell him no and then slap his hand and take him from the stairs. i dont know what to do about that. also, when i do slap his hand sometimes he slaps my hand back! should i stop spanking his hand? he isnt old enough to know what time out is.. i am really needing any and all advice, i have absolutely no idea what to do.

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommytoG
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:43 AM

They have bigger gates at OneStepAhead.com. They are alittle expensive but they work. Check it out

,,,,, , ,

itsnotaboutm765
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:46 AM

I would say instead of slapping his hand just take him away from it.  I don't think with the second warning he should automatically get his hand slapped.  remove him from the area.  the PP put a site to find bigger baby gates.  we don't have any so we do without.lol

Rlambert6002
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:47 AM

First, for safety's sake try visiting One Step Ahead on the web...I don't care how big your doorway is I bet they have a gate that will fit it (they also have extensions). Secondly, he's not too young to understand the consequences for actions. I used a time-out method for my kids at that age and it worked fine. I first used it at a young age for a gate climber...everytime he would try to climb the gate I would scoop him up and in the pack-n-play he would go (he couldn't climb it). After doing this EVERYTIME he tried to climb the gate for about 3 days he realized that he was gonna end up in there everytime and stopped. I would leave him in there about 5 minutes...not that long, but an eternity to a toddler!

Lilypie Kids birthday TickerLilypie Kids birthday Ticker

TickerShack.com Ticker

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

dar715
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:48 AM
At this age u may just need to keep him distracted whenever he eyes the stairs. Are they carpeted? You could teach him how to climb up and down on his bum and then you would just need to keep an eye on him, while knowing he can do it himself. As far as time outs go, if u decide to take him away from the stairs and tell him no, he may throw a tantrum, but just ingore it, keep taking him away from the stairs, no slaps are needed, he will learn that if he attempts the stairs he will be stopped and soon will let it go (it will prob take a few tantrums first though). Also consistancy is key, do you let him climb up sometimes? If so he may not understand why he can't all the time.
cashs_mama
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:52 AM

i guess i am alittle more inclined to slap his hand sooner because unfortunatly removing him from the area does nothing. he likes the stairs, he knows where they are. all he does is as soon as i put him down he'll wait a couple of mintues and scope out where ive placed him and then go back. yes, a baby gate will solve my problems know, but it seems like in the future i will still have a problem disciplening him.... so then what? how should i fix this problem?

itsnotaboutm765
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:54 AM

If you are consistent it will work.  We had staris when my oldest was little and he learn.  It just takes time a patiance

cashs_mama
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:56 AM

i never thought of using his playpen as a "timeout". that is a really good idea! thank you.

mommytoG
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:34 AM

If height is an issue that have tall one too. Here is a picture of one

Easy Step Extra Tall Metal Gate
CLICK AN IMAGE TO VIEW LARGER
Shown with 6 Without extension 24 6

"Heightened" security for fearless climbers. The Fort Knox of safety gates! This 41"H metal gate is about a foot taller than standard gates, thwarting even relentless explorers. Is it sturdy enough for stair tops? You bet! One-touch operation. Expands to fit doorways 29"-38½"W (with 6" extension included). For wider openings, add one 4" extension (secures up to 42½"W) or one 24" extension (secures up to 62½"W).

View Product Listings

Extra shipping may apply. See product details below.

Some Items on this page may arrive in manufacturer's box with a picture of the item showing.

,,,,, , ,

mommytoG
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:46 AM

There is also this one

Stairway Swing Gate
CLICK AN IMAGE TO VIEW LARGER
Stairway Swing Gate Wide Stairway Swing Gate

Don't like the look of plastic, but need an economical wood baby gate? This one's for you! This hardwood, hardware-mounted gate is sturdy enough for stair tops, yet also a great value. Swings in, out, or both ways. With a climb-proof design and one-hand release. Removes easily when not needed. 30"H. Fits openings 28"-42"W. Need to gate a wider doorway? Our Wide Gate fits openings 46"-63"W.

View Product Listings

Extra shipping may apply. See product details below.

Some Items on this page may arrive in manufacturer's box with a picture of the item showing.

,,,,, , ,

pattimarie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Not a good idea!  You may need him to sleep in that some night or  you may need  him to play in it a couple minutes to do something.  If you use it as a place of punishment that is what he will associate it with. Then when you need to use it, he will refuse it.

My brother and SIL used the highchair,  he refused to eat in it.

Quoting cashs_mama:

i never thought of using his playpen as a "timeout". that is a really good idea! thank you.

Patti Marie
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)