Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what do i do?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:03 AM
  • 11 Replies

okay, i had a post asking how to keep my kid away from stairs, but now i need advice for how to get him to listen.. when he tries to open our china cabinet (unable to baby proof), when he starts banging his hands on the t.v. or the glass on the china cabinet or the other kids in the house.. i tell him no, we dont hit and take his hand and hold it while i am saying this.. unfortunatly he doesnt get the picture. he throws laundry out of the laundry baskets, throws paper off the desk, tries to get the trash out of the trash can, and so much more, any advice??????  

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maryinger
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:05 AM

try popping his hand or sending him to the corner. different things work for different kids. sometimes a firm "no" won't cut it. sometimes ignoring him will, but i understand not being able to ignore that kind of stuff... 

KaseyHickman
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:06 AM

First how old is he? I suggest you start using time out. But thats all that I can think of. Im sorry im not much help. 

cashs_mama
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:10 AM

he is 14 months old.. doesnt really know what time out would be. another mom suggested me using his playpen as a time out since he wont stay in a corner. however, if i did that he would be in there all day, there isnt a full ten minutes that goes by when he is doing something wrong. at the moment he is trying to take the keyboard from me...

Rlambert6002
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:10 AM

Honestly that is just typical behavior for that age. When he starts getting into things that he shouldn't (trash, laundry, etc.) simply redirect him to his toys or something that he can do. Something i found helpful too is to let them help you when possibel and praise them for it. My son has a little version of a laundry basket (bought at Dollar Tree...looks like a laundry basket only his size) and when I do laundry and am ready to fold I put a few small items (wash clothes, socks, underwear, etc.) in there for him to "fold" while I am doing it. He is always so proud of himself! As for hitting things, especially glass, that is a safety issue and should be a priority. If you can't limit his access to glass items then you will simply have to consistently keep him away from the glass objects and always redirect him to something he CAN have or play with.

Lilypie Kids birthday TickerLilypie Kids birthday Ticker

TickerShack.com Ticker

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:11 AM

Time out! Don't warn him, correct him and then place him in time out.

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Like to clean? Need to clean? Join my group!

Getting Clean & Staying Clean!

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Pick your battles... put him in time out for the things that are really dangerous or bothersome.

Quoting cashs_mama:

he is 14 months old.. doesnt really know what time out would be. another mom suggested me using his playpen as a time out since he wont stay in a corner. however, if i did that he would be in there all day, there isnt a full ten minutes that goes by when he is doing something wrong. at the moment he is trying to take the keyboard from me...

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Like to clean? Need to clean? Join my group!

Getting Clean & Staying Clean!

Rlambert6002
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:18 AM

I was going to add that I had suggested time out for the stair way thing on the other post, but you can't use it for everything at this age....they are just learning and as you mentioned he would be there all day. Like a pp mentioned...pick your battles and what is the most dangerous and address those first. Alot of times redirecting or giving them something else to do in the first place will nip a prob in the bud. Like you mentioned he is trying to take your keyboard...he sees you playing on it so he figures it must be fun! Do you have an old keyboard around the house he could play with? If not try visiting a thrift store as you can get them second hand for next to nothing (cut the cord off before giving to him). When they are getting into things it is usually because they are curious or bored....he just needs to be occupied. 

TickerShack.com Ticker

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

lilianasmom1116
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:21 AM

dd is the same age and doin the same things... usually i try to stearnly tell her no first, if that dont work the gets a pop on the butt. not hard to hurt or anything (she has a diaper on) just enough for her to realize she didnt like it. then i take her away from whatever she is doing and give her something else to play with or do.

r.i.proby213
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:24 AM

i have the same problum with my son hes 2 i will make hem pick it up and put it back were he got it and if he starts to hit i make hem give them a hug and kiss it better then he sits in time out for 2 mins i found he gets tired of picking the stuff up and he dose not like time outs so for the most part he has stoped but kids will be kids just keep trying and no that he means well but hes still a kid i hope i could help  

truevalentine
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:26 AM

You have to find what works with your child, mine is sensitive to noises, so all it takes to stop her in her tracks is a good strong AH AH! Then when she turns to look I speak to her in my normal softer tones and redirect her to somthing that isn't banging on the glass of the entertainment center.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)