Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Acne Help (PIOG)

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:26 AM
  • 17 Replies

My 18 year old daughters has acne that keeps getting worse. We've tried several professional products that don't seem to help. I don't feel it's bad enough for her take meds for it but still is embarassing for her.

Anyone have anything that truly works to get rid and control acne?

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kristjansmama
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:28 AM

Acne Free.  You can buy the kit at target for like $20 & it is awesome.   

loralynn
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Quoting Kristjansmama:

You are the 3rd person to recommend this. I will give it a try, Thanks!

Janis198
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Wash the face ounce a week with a baking soda paste, just baking soda and water, let it sit on the face for a minute and rinse off, it will make the face dry, but it clears it up, oh it stings some, and made my face red and itchy for a little while after, but pain is beauty, LOL

Oh after you do it 2 or 3 times you can cut down to ounce or twice a month.

Janis mommy to 5 great kidshaving chocolate

Kristjansmama
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Yup...I use it every day & I have not had one breakout since.  This stuff is great.  I also use cetaphil facial mosturizer with it because it dries my skin so much.  I just wash my face in the morning, I don't use the other two products & then I use the cetaphil.  In the evening I wash my face, use the toner, & acne free lotion.  It works great.

Quoting loralynn:

Quoting Kristjansmama:

kaylasmom9
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:33 AM

I have tried this, but did not have as great of results.  I use a netrogena pack (very similare in looks to that on) with a cleaner and night and day cream.  It sells for about 20.  I have not (knock on wook) had an outbreak since. 

Quoting loralynn:

Quoting Kristjansmama:

mlg871
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:34 AM

The only things I've ever tried that actually worked were Proactiv and / or meds.  I dont' remember what was prescribed, this was quite a while ago, but I remember they worked really quick.  The only problem I had with them was when I stopped taking them it eventually came back.  But you know, like I said, this was years ago, like probably 10 years, things are far more advanced these days!!! 

Has she tried Proactiv at all?  I think Neotrogena makes their own acne program too, you might want to check into that too if you haven't already. 

Good luck!  I've had acne since puberty and it's no fun.  I feel her pain, even the slightest bit can be very embarrassing in so many ways.  She's lucky to have a mom that understands and wants to help.  My mom told me to deal with it!!! 

mommy2karsyn
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:38 AM

What kind of make-up is she wearing?  If she isn't using a natural mineral powder make-up she needs to!!!  She also needs to keep her face clean, not sleeping in make-up is huge.  You can wash your face with anything.  If she has sensitive skin stay away from harsh cleaners.  My dermatologist doesn't recommend washing your face with anything but Cetaphil...and that is all I use!

loralynn
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Quoting mommy2karsyn:

What kind of make-up is she wearing?  If she isn't using a natural mineral powder make-up she needs to!!!  She also needs to keep her face clean, not sleeping in make-up is huge.  You can wash your face with anything.  If she has sensitive skin stay away from harsh cleaners.  My dermatologist doesn't recommend washing your face with anything but Cetaphil...and that is all I use!

I've talked to her about her make up, but she won't listen on that one. She doesn't sleep with her make up anymore because I've told her that will contribute to the acne.

I'm at a loss. Right now she's using dermologica for acne and that isn't working and that is a professional line.

KatiePeel
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:47 PM

There is no quick fix, but from what I have discovered...there are several at-home treatments, as well as chemical peels that can help.

I found this series, which has a lot of great information.  There is quite a bit of information about acne and how to treat it, on this site....                                http://skinlaboratory.com/videos/acne-video-series/

When a pimple first appears, it's important not to touch it.  The less you touch it the less aggravated you will make it.

Get a cloth and soak it in warm water. Press it against your pimple and hold it in place for one minute. This will help the swelling go down and help pimples go away sooner.

I hope this helps her. 

Katie

AussieMum2
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 1:53 AM

Hi,

I have had problems with my skin on and off for 25 years.  My skin was at it's worst when I was 18.  The doctors put me on low dose antibiotics, retin A cream and the pill and it did eventually clear up.  I would recommend avoiding that if possible.

Retin A can cause birth defects, and makes your skin more susceptible to sunburn.

I have tried Neutrogena acne products and it cleared my skin up but my blackheads got huge and my skin looked dull. 

I recently switched to Arbonne products and they are working wonderfully for my skin.  I am using the anti-aging products, but all their product range is made without mineral oil which can clog the pores and make you more prone to breakouts.  My pores are the smallest they have been in years and my skin has a healthy glow. 

They have an acne line of products that might be worth taking a look at.  http://www.arbonne.com/products/beyond_basics/

To learn more about the company and how to save 35% off retail visit - just $29 until Feb 1st http://www.try.myarbonne.com  or message me

Other than hormones another key issue with acne is bowel movements.  It may not be something she wants to talk about, but the more regular she is and the more water she drinks the better her skin is going to look.  She also wants to use a makeup without talc, again to prevent the pores from getting clogged.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)