Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stage 2 Solids question! Please read!

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:46 AM
  • 13 Replies

So my son has went through all the solids and no alergic reactions. I bought some stage 2 foods the other day, like mixed fruits, banana yogurt etc in the Gerber isle. Anyways, how do you know when they are ready for Stage 2 solids? He doesnt have any problems. He sits up unassisted as well. He goes back to the Dr Feb 12th, so I may ask then but in the mean time. And is it okay to give him mixed fruits and things like that?

Also, when did you introduce those Gerber puffs to your baby? It says on the back when they start to crawl and grip things in their hands. Well he grabs EVERYTHING! && he hasnt started crawling yet. Maybe soon, he seems to be doing everything ahead but thats okay. It says in my babybook that at 6 months he should be able to feed himself a cracker, do I guve him those teething crackers or biscuits?

Thanks, I'm a 1st time mom and just dont know these little things! Haha. & I dont want to be calling the Dr all the time for stupid questions. My mom says its okay.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker  

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AidanTiarra
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:57 AM

If you think he is ready, then go ahead and give it to him, you know him best. All the books I read said to wait to start them on rice cereal until they were 6 months old, there was no way my son was going to wait that long. He was eating regular table food by 7 months, of course he was a big baby and he was advanced at everything. I think I started feeding my son stage 2 at about 5 months and I started feeding my daughter stage 2 at about 6 months so it really just depends on the child. Just remember when you give it to him be sure to continue to test for allergies, as there are sometimes new fruits that were not available in stage 1 or even just spices, etc. As far as the puffs and cookies or biscuits he is probably okay to eat those just make sure you watch him very closely especially with the cookies because they can choke on them. The puffs dissolve in their mouth pretty quickly, my kids loved those.

cowgirlsmommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Well my doctor said not to start kids on solids of any kind until 6 months old.  At that time we went directly to Stage 2 because he said stage 1 is just a waste of money since it's just like stage 2 only with a little more water.

sstepph
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Thanks! Yeah the Dr told me that I could start him on solids around 4 months, and I did. He's a big boy. He's 20lbs right now and 28 inches! He was 8lbs when he was born. I gave him cereal around 2 months old in his bottle and he loved it, now he's not a fan of the cereal but thats okay. I'm excited to see if he likes the puffs, they look good! Haha!

.. Yeah I know ALOT of Moms wait until 6 months or beyond, but I didnt. It was me and hubbies choice, plus my son is ALOT happier that he is getting something else to fill his belly other than breastmilk.

mlg871
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:04 AM

I really didn't see much of a difference in consistency between the stage 1 and 2 foods.  If you've already gone thru all the stage 1's then I say go for it with the stage 2's, jsut follow the same rules to monitor for allergic reaction. 

As far as the puffs, my dd started eating them later only because I was a paranoid mommy, probably too paranoid!!!  Those puffs literally dissolve in your mouth.  Just give him one and see how he reacts to it.  If he's sitting up on his own, he is probably fine. 

deegansmommy28
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:06 AM

my ds is 4mo now and on fruits and veggies (stage 1) he did love his cereal (mixed with fruit bc hes stubborn lol) but i had to cut that out bc of constipation... anyhow i replied to this bc i am also curious to know about stage 2 foods and plan on asking his dr next week when we go, and the puffs seem like a cool idea bc he loves to grab things and put them in his mouth lol so that would work since they dissolve... how often do you feed him (mine is 3 times a day now and he still is waking up at night hungry!) j/w bc im tired! is he still drinking alot of formula? sorry about all the questions lol im having a hard time with mine constantly hungry but constantly waking up gassy as well (errrghhh)

Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
sgilbert211
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:07 AM

I would check with the DR first about the Gerber Puffs. My DR also told me no solids until 6 months old. But I think he's still a little young for the puffs because of a choking risk. While he may be able to handle solids now he may not be able to swallow properly. But JMO! And for the most part the Stage 2 foods are pretty similiar to Stage 1, just bigger portions.

SAHM of 2 formula fed, fully vaxed,

non co-sleeping, PERFECT kids!

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Quoting cowgirlsmommy:

Well my doctor said not to start kids on solids of any kind until 6 months old.  At that time we went directly to Stage 2 because he said stage 1 is just a waste of money since it's just like stage 2 only with a little more water.

Actually stage 2 foods usually have added thickeners and preservatives. Did you know baby food companies are not required to list all ingredients on the label?

Anyway to the op: Why are you rushing him? He is a baby and has his entire life to eat solid food. If I were you I would do some research on WHY they say 6 months before you start. You could be setting your child up for things like food allergies, weight problems and lots of other issues! Their guts don't seal until they are 6 months, it can take longer with a formula fed baby. If his gut hasn't sealed his body could create an immuno response to the foreign substances in his body.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

CSection MommaBreastfeeding

Proud Canadian

sstepph
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Quote:

my ds is 4mo now and on fruits and veggies (stage 1) he did love his cereal (mixed with fruit bc hes stubborn lol) but i had to cut that out bc of constipation... anyhow i replied to this bc i am also curious to know about stage 2 foods and plan on asking his dr next week when we go, and the puffs seem like a cool idea bc he loves to grab things and put them in his mouth lol so that would work since they dissolve... how often do you feed him (mine is 3 times a day now and he still is waking up at night hungry!) j/w bc im tired! is he still drinking alot of formula? sorry about all the questions lol im having a hard time with mine constantly hungry but constantly waking up gassy as well (errrghhh)

I started out just feeding him solids once in the evening since that was when my milk supply was the lowest but I think I may start him with something in the morning. As for the gassyness try the mylicon drops. My son went through that when he was 1-2 months old and I gave him the mylicon drops before bed and it helped him alot. My guy is hungry all the time too! I was worried he was getting too big but the Dr didnt say anything. So I'm not too concerned. I see it as my mother&grandmother fed us early, and We turned out okay. :)

Ilovemyson51508
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:24 AM

i woud try and give him the stage two to him if you think hes ready  there really is no chunks its just mixed food and the puffs i would wait i just gave them to my son 8 months old and he is having a hard time with them he tries to swallow them and not mush it with his tongue or gums so puff id waitbut go ahead with the stage two i did a 6 months old i think he was im about to go to stage 3 good luck and have fun!! and remember every baby is different

deegansmommy28
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Quoting sstepph:

Quote:

I started out just feeding him solids once in the evening since that was when my milk supply was the lowest but I think I may start him with something in the morning. As for the gassyness try the mylicon drops. My son went through that when he was 1-2 months old and I gave him the mylicon drops before bed and it helped him alot. My guy is hungry all the time too! I was worried he was getting too big but the Dr didnt say anything. So I'm not too concerned. I see it as my mother&grandmother fed us early, and We turned out okay. :)

ya ive been feeding him 3 times a day since last week when my pedi told me to do that (he was hoping it would help him poop lol) since it didnt help him go at all im not sure if i should keep feeding him that much or what bc im worried about his gas :( and i do have the mylicon drops but they dont seem to do anything for him, when did you lo start to sit up on his own? mine LOVES to be propped up but still sill fall foreward haha bc hes so top heavy!! im looking foreward for him to do that and start to crawl bc then he can follow me around on his own lol i wont have to break my arms just bc hes fussy and wants me all the time!

Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)