Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you clothe your children?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:01 AM
  • 42 Replies

Poll

Question: How are you clothing your children?

Options:

Still buying high end clothes (Janie & Jack, Gymboree, Oilily)

Recycle/Reuse from friends & family

Bargin hunter (buy what is on sale, where ever)

Salvation Army/Goodwill ( I need a lot of help)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 108

View Results

I am just curious......in the current state of the economy, how are people paying for their children's clothing?  Are you cutting back? Buying what is on sale?  Still buying regularly?  I just can't figure out how some people can afford these high end outfits for their 2 year olds that cost in the $200 range.  I admit I am a Baby Gap addict, but I only shop when their stuff is on sale.  I am just wondering how other people buy for their children.  I tend to sacrifice my wardrobe, so my kid's look great.

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thehairnazi
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:05 AM

i'm fortunate in that my sister has two boys, slightly older than my son, so i get a lot of his clothes from her. shoes, too! i do, however, check out sales and buy new separates when i get the chance to go shopping. most of his new clothing comes from jcpenney, the children's place, target, tjmaxx..i've only bought one item that wasn't on sale in his entire 3 1/2 yrs!

and, yes, my hub and i also buy 'sale' items.

alliesmom112
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:06 AM

We buy a lot on sale but we also buy the kids clothes on Craigslist, especially for the baby. 2 weeks ago we bought 2 bags full of baby clothes for $10. We also sell the girls' stuff that they outgrow on Craigslist.

FoxyLady42
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:09 AM

I tend to sacrifice my wardrobe, so my kid's look great. LOL. me too, I can't remember the last time I bought me a nice outfit! I buy what is on sale. And it is hard, because I have a 16 yr old daughter, talk about Picky!!! And God Forbid we go too the thrift shop or Salvation Army. lol

ChazznRoccosmom
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:09 AM

With the exception of the baby (most his clothes are hand-me downs or gifts) I let the kids pick out what they want, and it's either at Walmart or somewhere cheap like that, or on sale. I never could spend alot on their clothing. I just don't get $40 jeans that'll only last a few months because they'll either a) grow out of it or b) stain it or get holes in it anyways. My boys are rough on their clothing. And yes, sometimes they look a little ghetto because I let them pick their outfits, with only a touch of my say. But they're happy wondering around in a batman mask, Thomas sweatshirt, and plaid shorts on a 90 degree day, and their happiness is what matters most.

Chazz     Rocco    Joey

baby boybaby boybaby boy

06-24-02   09-05-05   09-15-08

Amaris_amor
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:10 AM

I shop at wal-mart and have gotten alot of her things from toys-r-us. The majority have been given to me by friends or family. Then when she out grows them I'm giving them to my friends with new babys!

lindz221
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Quoting alliesmom112:

We buy a lot on sale but we also buy the kids clothes on Craigslist, especially for the baby. 2 weeks ago we bought 2 bags full of baby clothes for $10. We also sell the girls' stuff that they outgrow on Craigslist.

Craig's List is amazing for kid stuff!

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker

momofeddienseb
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:12 AM

I work at Once Upon a Child. I shop there for my kids.

Blinkie Maker
hillary_rose

You should have a choice that has more than one option. Like I buy from a high end thrift store, bargain shop, and sometimes yard sales. Also we get hand-me-downs!

jortiz1978

I do all of the above except for buying expensive brand name clothes. For me I would always shop like this for baby clothes no matter what our current economic status. I think its nuts to spend tons of money on clothes that will be worn once or not at all. I buy at Goodwill, on Craigslist and at Once Upon a Child. I do the same for toys-why pay $20+ for toys when you can get several used toys in good condition for that same price. I also sell everything too-some on DS stuff was never worn/opened and its a nice way to make a few bucks. I am the Craigslist queen big smile mini

Rlambert6002
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:13 AM

I didn't vote because there wasn't an option that applies to me. I shop at Wal-Mart as well as A&F, American Eagle, Burlington AND the GoodWill. I buy what I like though for me and my kids and don't base it solely on name brands. (and I shop at the GoodWill because our local one has LOTS of variety and alot of it is new or looks new) .My kids are very well dressed as am I. With that being said I won't hardly spend more than $25+ on one article because it is just clothing and I know will soon be out of style, but if I really like it I will. I just think it's silly to spend large amounts on items because of a name. I have a sil who has a Vera Wang sweater that she paid big bucks for...it's pretty and all, but the name is on the tag inside the sweater and it's not anything special. I've seen lots of sweaters of comparable style for half the price. But like I said, if I found something I really wanted and couldn't find it cheaper I would buy it because I liked it. I do love finding a bargain though!!

Lilypie Kids birthday TickerLilypie Kids birthday Ticker

TickerShack.com Ticker

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)