Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Banging his head

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:40 AM
  • 6 Replies

My son has recently started banging his head against things when he is frusterated or upset...my leg the wall anything. Does anybody know if this is normal or if I should be concerned? He is otherwise a very normal child.

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
dragonflykiss44
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:43 AM

how old is he? my daughter is 7 years old and does things to get out her frustration...some of which is scary...she has pulled her hair out, shes clawed herself so bad it bled, she throws things,slams doors....she's got my temper. i used to do thigns like that. but it is scary.

I would say its nothing to worry about, if he's young he probably just doesnt know any other way to get out that frustration. as long as he's not causing serious injury

tscritch
by Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:47 AM

My dd went through that stage, scared the crap out of me because I didn't know what to do and didn't want her to get hurt!! I would try diversion (worked sometimes), moving her physically from where/what she was banging on (worked sometimes), then I just let her do it and didn't pay attention to her (of course I "secretly" paid attention to her to make sure she didn't hurt herself)..... I think that she did it because she didn't know how to express her frustrations, or she wanted attention (depending on the situation). I would also try to talk to her and find out what was wrong as much as possible so that we could remedy the situation. Hope this makes sense...and helps!! 

josiphene
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:48 AM

my dd does it to but only when shes playing i think she just likes to get a reaction from me. maybe you need to help him find another way of showing you he's upset and i was told not to react  when she does it and if she doesnt get a  reaction from me she will stop.

tylerrllove
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Yeah he is only 14 months...so I am worried that it is something more important.

mlg871
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:53 AM

This never happened with my dd, but I remember reading a lot about it, it's completely normal believe it or not!

I found this - hopefully it will help:

http://www.babycenter.com/0_head-banging_11554.bc

Amaris_amor
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:54 AM

My daughter is 10 months and started doing to frequently but only against the wall (if she's sitting up against one) and she'll just do it over and over and I tell her to stop .. she stops when she hits her head so hard it actually hurts .. then she'll make a face at me like I did something wrong lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)