Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DISNEYLAND-----Advice,Suggestions, CHEAP!!

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:00 PM
  • 8 Replies

Ok, so we are wanting to go to DISNEYLAND (our first time ever, I haven't even ever been to CA before) and I'd like some advice or suggestions on staying CHEAP with 8 people....

This is our agenda and a cost for just 6 people:.....

Hotel room ($62.00per night) just .3mls form the front entrance,

3 day hopper passes (everyone for the kids price).....

Knotts berry farm......

Midevil dinner.....

Ripleys museum.....

Food:.....Breakfast FREE, Dinner kids eat free at IHOP, and lunch stuff in hotel room.

So far our cost is $2300.00....but not taking in account extra food, gas and the 2 extra people.

Oh and we are driving there from Eastern Oregon!

baby in slingcrazyboutbabies

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
kmgehweiler
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:04 PM

How long will you be there? One thing to consider is that you will save by walking there, if you have the time and energy, I was just there and we walked in each day, I think it is like 15.00 a day for parking. Be sure to take lots of pics and take an autograph book, I had to spend 15.00 to buy one there for my son.

Oh and also, FYI, it is HOT there, it felt about 90. I wore a short sleeve shirt and capris every day, my little guy only needed a light jacket at night...

Forgive your enemies but never forget their names. -JFK

ChazznRoccosmom
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:10 PM

We're going in April. I was calculating ticket prices. If you don't honestly want to go to both parks on the same day, skip the hopper pass. Even with the kids price, the 3 day hopper is still more than buying everyone the regular daily tickets. I don't have the prices in front of me, but I'm going with just buying the daily passes, one for each day, because we won't visit both parks on the same day. They charge extra just because it's a hopper.

For Medieval Times, if you have any super little kids (like under 3) and you let them sit on your lap and share your dinner, you don't have to pay for them.

Pack lunches, dinner, drinks for the parks.

Chazz     Rocco    Joey

baby boybaby boybaby boy

06-24-02   09-05-05   09-15-08

Jillian
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:14 PM

There is a group on here call Disney Magic the ladies in ther know al about disney and willhelp you soo much try them and have a great trip!!!!

baby

Baby Slings at Nurtured Family

mymichelle2002
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:33 PM

bump

autumnsmommy02
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:28 PM

My dd's bio father is from Anaheim and his mom worked at Disneyland park so we got hopper passes for free. I'm glad we did. We didn't spend much time at Disney's CA Adventure Park. It was ok but there wasn't as much to do there especially for my dd (she was 3). There was a small Bug's Life section there (when we went) with some rides and a couple of shows but we spent 75% of the day at the Disneyland park. The Adventure Park is nice to visit but not as much for littler kids. So if you have any small kids who can't ride bigger kids rides than I'd stick with a hopper pass so you always have plenty to keep the smaller babes occupied.

Quoting ChazznRoccosmom:

We're going in April. I was calculating ticket prices. If you don't honestly want to go to both parks on the same day, skip the hopper pass. Even with the kids price, the 3 day hopper is still more than buying everyone the regular daily tickets. I don't have the prices in front of me, but I'm going with just buying the daily passes, one for each day, because we won't visit both parks on the same day. They charge extra just because it's a hopper.

For Medieval Times, if you have any super little kids (like under 3) and you let them sit on your lap and share your dinner, you don't have to pay for them.

Pack lunches, dinner, drinks for the parks.

andrea.e
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:46 PM

I'm a native Californian and pretty much grew up having that kind of fun.

Here's an insanly long reply with everything California you might want to know including driving in the state and gassing up.

I strongly suggest good strollers and hand fans, maybe those little fans with a mister in them for each stroller so whoever's pushing can just squirt the kids if needed and anyone can just ask. Also keep the bag counts down- when you go on rides if someone doesn't stay with everything then you'll end up strapping the diaper bag on your back and keeping your hands free to direct the kids. Lines can get pretty ugly, and crowds can be intense if you're used to elbow space. Just find the flow of the crowd and keep a hold of your young ones while keeping an eye on the older ones. Oh and it really helps to tell everyone, adults and kids, that if they get seperated from the group not to panic and don't go with anyone unless they have a name tag- and tell everyone that the spot to meet is a place you guys scoped when you first came in close to the front enterance- pick like a fountain or a group of benches by a wall in shade- somehting obvious. It's not like kids go missing all the time and the staff of all those parks try to watch for kids on their own but remember Cali is home to Hollyweird, and there's always one weirdo to mess everything up for everyone else no matter where you go.

Going there with my young baby I kept my diaper bag clear of all the extra stuff that wasn't essential so I could throw in those little things you pick up here and there. Also on the stroller tied on a balloon or a strip of cloth on the handle so I could tell it from the rest when ditching it in stroller parking for a ride. If you do leave your stuff there unattended TAKE YOUR PURSE! A lot of theft happens in those stroller parking places, but it's not obvious. Someone sees a purse and they might take it outright, or they might grab a wallet, write down all the card numbers front and back, check numbers, and Id stuff so they can put it all back and go on to rip you like no other asap without you even knowing your info was stolen because it's all still there.

Ah food- We'd bring sandwiches in our bags and eat food outside of the parks- especially Knotts but not because they were as crazy expensive as Disneyland (though if you're not used to Cali prices it's still steep for not much) Right by Knotts is a place called Po'Folks. It's a sit down casual family place and it's pretty reasonable as far as helping sizes and ability to accomidate large groups with gear. Southern soul food kinda stuff. Can be pricey though so research it before herding everyone over there. Right across the street from Medival Times.

SUNBLOCK ON ALL NECKS EARS AND FACES!! Seriously people don't realize just how crispy you can get out there, and as a butthead teenager it was the source of much amuzement unless we were the ones who forgot to slather up if we happened to be of the pasty persuasian. You could always tell a tourist from everyone else, they we're tired, hot, looked like they felt icky stickiness on their hands, and they were super pink.

Medieval Times is way fun! They're kinda stingy on food servings if you're used to big hearty meals but you'll be satisfied and not hungry in the least. I always liked their chicken, always wished they'd give you bigger pieces of it.

Ripley's is fun too! Lol don't let the kids lift the covered display as you first walk in after paying- it's on the right and warns mature people only.... Hee hee penis gourds can be so much fun!

they might have moved that display around but it's been in the same place for what seems like eons so just a little heads up- oh and you can count on them keeping everything at the pg rating by using little view doors with warnings on them on those kinds of displays so don't worry about turning a corner and walking into nakie-ville

Gas right now is cheaper then it has been in a long time but the prices are nuts the closer you get to the parks. In Orange county in the beach cities my mom is paying about 3.50 a gallon, while at the parks I wouldn't be surprised to see it just under or at 4 bucks a gallon... but with travel being hit hard in this recession it might be much better then that. I'd research it online just so you have an idea of the hit your pocket book is going to take.

Now to further save on food costs hotel room normally come with a microwave and an empty mini fridge- I'd head over to a local 99 cent only store and load up on hot dogs, drinks, cheapy cups and bowls, spoons, maybe some canned soup, and buns. Maybe some chips.

A 99 Cent Only store is like a dollar tree on steriods. Dollar trees are green buildings with white printing, normally smaller stores. A 99 Cent Only is normally a white building with a single set of a pink blue and I think green lines running horizontally along the building, Blue printing. Think about the size of a Safeway grocery or just a little smaller.

Anyhoo it's not health food but it's microwave friendly and in a pinch after walking around all day in the heat it's awfully nice to sit down in an AC room with the boob tube on and drink cold pop that didn't cost you 8 bucks a can.

Freeways- umm just take your time and don't be afraid to pull over and ask at a gas station where to go. People don't drive in California like they do here, you'll need to be a little more aggressive but don't let your blood pressure go up in the least- hey, you'll get there when you'll get there and if Barbie behind you wants to ride your butt all day then fine, maybe she'll learn some manners some day and remember people like to AT LEAST have their hair pulled if you're going to forgo the dinner and a movie when you ride them like that.

Crazy People....

No problems on your side of things seriously, so don't stress the traffic. Speed limit is normally 65 on freeways but everyone goes like 80 and they love to cut people off when you ride the fast lane... No worries man no worries- no cop is going to pull you over for NOT going 20 miles over the speed limit.

Carpool lane is also your friend but try to follow the traffic speed in there, it's normally a single lane just for cars with two or more people in them and it's really easy to piss people off if you back up the entire lane by going too slow. It's found on your far left and usually divided from the rest of the lanes with double yellow lines you're not supposed to cross. You can get into this lane by looking for the broken white line that shows up every few miles to let people in and out of it but be aware that some of those can commit you to toll roads or make it hard to catch an exit you want that's coming up quickly. Toll roads are no fun. Wide open but who wants to pay a toll every few miles?

I know Disneyland has it's own dedicated exit from the carpool lane so if you're in the carpool and it's getting close don't panic- just take your time and read the signs.

The 5 freeway and the 405 are pretty much the main freeways you'll be taking when you go- and they can get nuts backed up at different times. If you get stuck in a traffic jam just sit back, cut the AC and switch to fans so your car doesn't overheat, break out the snacks and relax. You'll only go anywhere when traffic allows so it's out of your hands. Just roll with it and don't be shocked if you sit for like an hour or two in ugliness. That's no exageration btw, but it is an extreme and you'd only hit that kind of jam if you have terrible luck- like you were going through my sweet and dearly missed Los Angeles right by the 101 around 5pm. Further south another bottleneck is at the 5 on the county lines- orange County and Los Angeles County, just after the 55 freeway intersection. Orange county has more money for the freeways so you'll go from crap two or three lanes of roads to all the sudden wide open with great lighting- should hit Disneyland shortly after that. You'll get there when you get there, it's not worth stressing over you know? Oh and on Gas I always gassed up just before that bottleneck at the 55- cheapest I could find between the Oc and the city of angels- right hand side if you're driving on the 5 going south- Arco Station. Right around a halloween warehouse you can see from the freeway- you can see the Arco sign from the freeway too as well as some heavy cement equipt yards.

Gas station Bathrooms- Make sure someone stays with the car unless you're fine with locking it completely before leaving it, and you should always do that regardless and never leave purses on seats- i always preferred to go to Shell stations for bathrooms because they're usually located inside and I don't like people watching me leave my car and go to some dark side of the building with my kid all by myself- felt safer going inside.

In all of california if someone trys to pump your gas it's going to cost you BANK! The whole state is Self Serve unlike Oregon, but every now and again you'll come across a station that has "full service" Meaning they'll simply gas it for you after taking your card/cash. Might clean your window. Gas is bumped up a few bucks at a full service station and they normally expect tips.

Parking on streets- once you park WALK the sidewalk to read ALL THE SIGNS. You might find a sign that says parking okay on mon-fri on so and so time but just a few feet away find one that says the first monday and second tuesday of every leapyear cars there will spontaniously explode upon leaving. Don't just go by the "Well there were other cars parked there so I thought it'd be fine." READ THOSE SIGNS!! Tow companies make crazy bank hiding in parking lots watching people and their watches for just the right time and rushing a parking lot with timed or day limitations with two or more trucks to get it cleared quick.

Have fun and I hope I was of help, lol- bring me back a mayo jar of smog when you drive through los angeles!!

andrea.e
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:47 PM

Oh and Disney's California Adventure sucks. Maybe they're cooler now but for the price it so wasn't worth it. Hit up the forums to find out if it's gotten any better.

autumnsmommy02
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:24 PM

It's amazing how much of the stuff you posted that you'll see in just 2 weeks too. I'll stick to my small town living. lol 

Quoting andrea.e:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)