Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not so sure! PIOG (OMG, I'm seriously freaking out!!!)

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:12 PM
  • 16 Replies

I just recently came down with a cold and right when my cold started my tooth started to ache and hurt. I've known for awhile that the tooth hurting needs a root canal (as told by my dentist), but haven't done anything about it because of my pregnancy. Now that i've had this cold it's been hurting non-stop. I'm wondering if it's only hurting because of the cold, does that even make sense? It's just i really don't want to get a root canal until I've had the baby because i'm so scared of what it could do to our baby. Also, does anyone know if it's safe to use numbing gel on my tooth? I have some gel that's called Kanka (made by blistex) that can be used for sore gums/toothaches. I've taken tylenol once and i really don't feel like taking it more than once a day (i'm the kind of person that doesn't even take drugs when not pregnant unless i really am in that much pain). But there's no point in taking tylenol once a day when my tooth is hurting all day. Anyone gone through something similar or have good advice? Thanks!

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rlambert6002
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:32 PM

It's possible the cold is causing the tooth to hurt, especially if you have congestion in your sinus cavities as they are very close to your jaw. It is safe to have dental work done after the first trimester as they only use a local anesthetic (unless you are one of those that needs tons of gas to relax!) As for the numbing gel, it is sfae but beware...I dealt with the same problem last month and a couple months previous (tooth ended up abcessing on me though) and after the numbing gel wore off it felt like the pain was a billion times worse. You may want to have a doctor/dentist check you for an abcess or to see if you have a sinus infection (a simple cbc should show an elevated white blood cell count if there is infection somewhere)....in that case you would require antibiotics (which are safe while preggo as well.)

Lilypie Kids birthday TickerLilypie Kids birthday Ticker

TickerShack.com Ticker

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

marblet
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:37 PM

Honestly, you should have the root canal done. I had one done while I was pregnant. The infection that is in your tooth can spread and get to the baby. That's worse than the anesthesia to get it done. Best of luck to ya sweetie.

MyIrishTwins56
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:41 PM

I am the queen of toothaches.  I'm sorry to say that it's not going to get any better.  I've had many a root canals and have a few to go..yup..I feel horrible for you.  Your going to need antibiotics to kill the infection even before they touch the tooth...now, my secret- for surviving this pregnancy in one sane piece -  I've bought the ACT mouth wash.  The one in the big bottle. It's a miracle worker.  Rinse your mouth out 2 times a day (I concentrate on the area with the toothache) and hopefully, it will aleviate the pain.  It's actually taken some of my aches away completly.  Taking tylenol will only work for a while...you'll become a slave to it. And toothaches only get worse with time. 

Hope this helps. GL

"Learn to write you hurts in sand and to carve your benefits in stone." - Unknown

jenni_michelle
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:12 PM

How can it spread to the baby... and what would it do to the baby?

Quoting marblet:

Honestly, you should have the root canal done. I had one done while I was pregnant. The infection that is in your tooth can spread and get to the baby. That's worse than the anesthesia to get it done. Best of luck to ya sweetie.

jenni_michelle
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:13 PM

So are you waiting till the end of your pregnancy to get the root canal done?

Quoting MyIrishTwins56:

I am the queen of toothaches.  I'm sorry to say that it's not going to get any better.  I've had many a root canals and have a few to go..yup..I feel horrible for you.  Your going to need antibiotics to kill the infection even before they touch the tooth...now, my secret- for surviving this pregnancy in one sane piece -  I've bought the ACT mouth wash.  The one in the big bottle. It's a miracle worker.  Rinse your mouth out 2 times a day (I concentrate on the area with the toothache) and hopefully, it will aleviate the pain.  It's actually taken some of my aches away completly.  Taking tylenol will only work for a while...you'll become a slave to it. And toothaches only get worse with time. 

Hope this helps. GL

jenni_michelle
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:15 PM

Do they just give you novacaine? I've never done well with just getting the shots - my dentist usually had to give me some laughing gas (i think that's what it was) to get me through some of my extensive dental work.

Quoting Rlambert6002:

It's possible the cold is causing the tooth to hurt, especially if you have congestion in your sinus cavities as they are very close to your jaw. It is safe to have dental work done after the first trimester as they only use a local anesthetic (unless you are one of those that needs tons of gas to relax!) As for the numbing gel, it is sfae but beware...I dealt with the same problem last month and a couple months previous (tooth ended up abcessing on me though) and after the numbing gel wore off it felt like the pain was a billion times worse. You may want to have a doctor/dentist check you for an abcess or to see if you have a sinus infection (a simple cbc should show an elevated white blood cell count if there is infection somewhere)....in that case you would require antibiotics (which are safe while preggo as well.)

marblet
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Yes they just give you novocaine. If your tooth goes abscess, which means the infection spreads out of your tooth into the blood stream, It can reach the baby. I had one while I was preg w/ DD and the dentist told me that I was only a few days from it going abscess and it would be very dangerous if it got to the baby.
It can infect the amniotic fluid and make the baby and you very sick. I've even heard of women losing their babies form infections like that. I promise, I'm not trying to scare you. But it's better to be safe than sorry later.

jenni_michelle
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:33 PM

How do you know if it's abcessed? Will it have a sore on it? I guess i'll be seeing my dentist!

Rlambert6002
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Alot of times an abcess will show as a pouch on the gum located around the tooth...it will be puffy because it is filled with pus. Other times there are no outward signs other than the pain as was my case. My abcess ended up spreading into the connective tissues of my jaw and took 2 rounds of antibiotics to get rid of it. I have heard of abcesses getting bad and spreading to the amniotic fluid, but I believe that is rare and would most likely occur in an untreated case. Definitely see your doctor...as I mentioned a simple cbc can measure your wbc to see if you have infection. Some doctors won't give antibiotics for teeth problems (thankfully mine did as my regular dentist said he couldn't fit me in until the end of Jan. and this was last month!) but your ob would be likely to if your dentist can't get you in soon. I am trying to hold off on the dental work myself as I plan on getting them pulled and a partial made, but I just don't want to deal with the pain right now as my dentist said the only safe 'strong' med is Tylenol w/ codiene and my mom and sis are both allergic so I don't want to risk it being preggo especially. I've been very adamant about my dental care....I use Listerine every morning and evening and brush after every meal to make sure no food is left in the fractured teeth. Also, floss daily. I sleep with a dental guard as well as I am a huge teeth grinder and it was making my problem worse. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

TickerShack.com Ticker

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

jenni_michelle
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:26 PM

So did the pain actually hurt on the whole side of your mouth? I don't have a pouch but the pain is definitely all on one side of my mouth and seems to radiate from my tooth, it also causes a headache on one side of my head. Now i'm starting to freak out! I called both my midwife and dentist and am waiting to get the okay to have the root canal by my midwife. I really don't want to have the root canal done right now but if it's worse to wait than have it done and take the drugs than i'll just get it done. Either way my only concern is for my baby! Deep breaths! Omg, i'm soo scared - what if it is infected and it spread to the baby! Would our baby have lots of problems!

simple frown

Quoting Rlambert6002:

Alot of times an abcess will show as a pouch on the gum located around the tooth...it will be puffy because it is filled with pus. Other times there are no outward signs other than the pain as was my case. My abcess ended up spreading into the connective tissues of my jaw and took 2 rounds of antibiotics to get rid of it. I have heard of abcesses getting bad and spreading to the amniotic fluid, but I believe that is rare and would most likely occur in an untreated case. Definitely see your doctor...as I mentioned a simple cbc can measure your wbc to see if you have infection. Some doctors won't give antibiotics for teeth problems (thankfully mine did as my regular dentist said he couldn't fit me in until the end of Jan. and this was last month!) but your ob would be likely to if your dentist can't get you in soon. I am trying to hold off on the dental work myself as I plan on getting them pulled and a partial made, but I just don't want to deal with the pain right now as my dentist said the only safe 'strong' med is Tylenol w/ codiene and my mom and sis are both allergic so I don't want to risk it being preggo especially. I've been very adamant about my dental care....I use Listerine every morning and evening and brush after every meal to make sure no food is left in the fractured teeth. Also, floss daily. I sleep with a dental guard as well as I am a huge teeth grinder and it was making my problem worse. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)