Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

toddler bunk beds??...*pics added*

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:29 PM
  • 18 Replies

This is their room...(top) I am standing outside of the room in this pic...                                               (bottom) This is thier "closet"

OK... I have a 3 year old and a 9 month old. We live in a very small home and the kids share a room. Thier room is also very small and with my son's bed and the crib there is no room to play at all. I have a dresser that bearly opens and a makeshift closet. I would like to make bunk beds for them useing their crib mattresses. I plan to make the lower bed very low to the ground (only a few incehes) and build in rails like on a toddler bed, and make the top bunk only about 4 feet off the floor. I want to build steps instead of a ladder for my son and also build a rail all around the top. What I want to know is what you think. Is that a good idea? Would you do it? My son is a little small for his age and should be able to sleep on that mattress for a few more years. My daughter is nearly walking so by the time it is ready she should be ok in a toddler-style bed.

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilmaiyagirl
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Maybe get a Twin bed with a Trundle underneath? That way when the lil one wakes up you can slide the trundle under the bed for more room?

~My idea of feminism is self-determination,and it's very open-ended: every woman has the right to become herself,and do whatever she needs to do. ~ Ani Difranco

charmelin
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:34 PM

Oh that's a great idea!

Quoting lilmaiyagirl:

Maybe get a Twin bed with a Trundle underneath? That way when the lil one wakes up you can slide the trundle under the bed for more room?

momof1.5
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:36 PM

do you know if they make them in the toddler size?

Quoting lilmaiyagirl:

lilmaiyagirl
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Quoting momof1.5:

Quoting lilmaiyagirl:

Honestly hun, I would not bother with getting a "toddler" size, We did the whole Toddler bed thing with our oldest and to be honest it was a waste of money. You can get Bed rails to be sure that your little one will fall out of bed.

momof1.5
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Honestly the room is soooo small I prefer the toddler size. We are planning on adding on to our home in the next year or two so we will buy bedroom sets for the kids then. Thats why I will most likely be building these to save $$. I just want something that is space saving so the kids actually have room in their room...and room for toys. My living room is now just a play room and I hate it!

Quoting lilmaiyagirl:

Quoting momof1.5:

Quoting lilmaiyagirl:

Honestly hun, I would not bother with getting a "toddler" size, We did the whole Toddler bed thing with our oldest and to be honest it was a waste of money. You can get Bed rails to be sure that your little one will fall out of bed.

mtnaspen
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:03 PM

I think she is trying to do the Toddler "bed" idea for space saving resons.

While it may seem like a great idea I can see several things that would be huge drawbacks in my eyes.

Let me start off by saying that with my older girls they were out of cribs by 12m and my tirplets moved to toddler beds by 18m.

my triplets are 3.5 right now and Im looking at creative ways to make 3 twin beds work in their room but saftey is my #1 goal thus the reason of not moving straight to bunk beds which would solve our issue completely.

at 3 I personaly dont think that is would be safe for a child to be in a bunk or loft bed my little ones sitll end up on the floor alot.  even if the bed was somewhat inclosed there are so many diffrent issues that could come up.

second the 9m old will become more and more mobile day by day and even though you are thinking stairs vs ladder I could see your toddler potentialy getting injured on the stairs .

third once we switched to toddler beds naps became harder and harder and with 2 kids that are that far apart in age I can see a huge potential for sleep distruption and saftey for your 9m old since 3 year olds are still learning on a daily basis what is right and what is wrong

4th my triplets size wize will fit in toddler beds for years to come but I have seen that if they sleep in my older dds beds they wake up more refreshed and our days are more plesant then when they are in the toddler beds I think that their little bodies need more from a bed then the crib mattress can provide at this point. that is why we are looking at twin beds

SO with all that being said

If you want to move forward with toddler bunk beds I  think you would be hard pressed to find them ready to use anywhere so it is somthing that you will need to build your self

good luck

MaMomToTwo
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:09 PM

I have an almost 4 year old, and a nearly 2 year old who also share a room. I believe their room is 10x11. DS currently has a twin captain's bed, and DD is still in her crib. When we get our taxes back, we're going to be getting them this bed, from Ikea:

It fits a standard twin size mattress, from what I can tell, and it's only like, 4 feet tall. It's perfect for ours, because I can put the mattress flat on the floor for my daughter, who is my more active sleeper, and if my son were to jump off, he'd still be really low to the ground. He won't have any trouble with that ladder either. I also saw someone remove the blue panels (reverse side is white) and paint them with chalkboard paint, so that the kids could draw on them. I really want to do that for my kids too.

Anyway, my point is that I wouldn't put all that effort into a toddler bunk bed...it's a difference of about 15" - does a foot and a quarter make that much difference?

-mamom (!) ...to.two. /wifetoo.

bouncing mom

momof1.5
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:13 PM

That is awsome...how much is it??

Quoting MaMomToTwo:

I have an almost 4 year old, and a nearly 2 year old who also share a room. I believe their room is 10x11. DS currently has a twin captain's bed, and DD is still in her crib. When we get our taxes back, we're going to be getting them this bed, from Ikea:

It fits a standard twin size mattress, from what I can tell, and it's only like, 4 feet tall. It's perfect for ours, because I can put the mattress flat on the floor for my daughter, who is my more active sleeper, and if my son were to jump off, he'd still be really low to the ground. He won't have any trouble with that ladder either. I also saw someone remove the blue panels (reverse side is white) and paint them with chalkboard paint, so that the kids could draw on them. I really want to do that for my kids too.

Anyway, my point is that I wouldn't put all that effort into a toddler bunk bed...it's a difference of about 15" - does a foot and a quarter make that much difference?

MaMomToTwo
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:25 PM

$200 for the bed...we'll have to buy a thinner mattress for the top bunk, which will be another $70, also at Ikea, and we already have our son's original mattress from his bed now, so that will be our floor mattress. If the cost for a mattress gets steep for you at all, you can always try craigslist and freecycle...there's always people getting rid of their gently used mattresses.

Quoting momof1.5:

That is awsome...how much is it??

Quoting MaMomToTwo:

-mamom (!) ...to.two. /wifetoo.

bouncing mom

charmelin
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:34 PM

I love Ikea! We might do something like this if we have another boy. I have two small rooms and my husband wants to tear down the wall between them if we have another boy!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)