Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any dog experts out there...

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:27 PM
  • 3 Replies

I tried posting this in a pet group, got no responses.

How can I get my dog to go to the bathroom on leash?

I just got a resuce dog last night. Our yard is not fenced in so I can't just let her out the door to the yard. I have to take her out on a leash. She hasn't used the bathroom yet. I don't know if its because she is in a new place and too busy smelling or not use to us yet ect...

She is about 2 years old. She is house trained. She won't go inside. I don't know what to do.

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
maddys_mommy_ny
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Is it possible to tie her leash to something and leave her by herself? some animals get "stage fright" and will not void if there is someone watching them. My advice would be to tie her to something and leave her alone for a while.

LavenderMom23
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:32 PM

You're gonna have to act like the dog is not potty trained to some extent. Be persistent, keep taking your dog outside at regular times. If your dog doesn't go potty the first time but you know the dog has to go...take the dog outside 10 min. bring inside 5min. and repeat until the dog goes. Have a treat to give for when your dog does potty to reinforce the behavior.

Michelle, ABC Certified Dog Trainer

sylviapike26
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:35 PM

She is probably just in shock a little because of her new surroundings.  Rescue dogs often come with issues.  You never really know what all they have been through.  Anyway, have you tried getting a longer leash and just sit outside with her and let her walk around for a lil while?  She may feel intimidated by you standing over her holding the the leash.  If you sit down, you are at her level and she can feel a little more relaxed.  If she has a longer leash, like a 10-20 ft one, she may not feel so constrained and may feel more comfortable.  You really have to baby rescue dogs because even though they are in a safe environment, they are scared and with all that they went through, even at the pound or humane society, they need to feel as safe as possible.  Buy her special treats to try to warm up to her.

pregnancy week by week
babies
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)