Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cereal for babies...

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:14 PM
  • 4 Replies

My DS is 12 weeks and I haven't started him on cereal but a friend suggested I try it at night in his bottle to help him sleep.  Have you tried this and if so does it work?  Or what age did you start feeding your baby cereal? Thanks! :-)

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
sgilbert211
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:22 PM

If you feel the need to try cereal then use a spoon do not add it in his bottle. But it is highly recommended that babies not start solids until age 6 months. There stomachs are not mature enough and cannot handle solids yet. Not to mention that introducing solids too early can lead to food allergies. Babies only source of nutrition should only be breastmilk or formula. They should be waking up in the middle of the night to eat.  

SAHM of 2 formula fed, fully vaxed,

non co-sleeping, PERFECT kids!

Janis198
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:26 PM

I don't start my babies on cereal until 6 months.

Janis mommy to 5 great kidshaving chocolate

mom2ljh
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Cereal does NOT go in the bottle.  Sleep is phisioligical, NOT based on hunger.  Food won't help him sleep longer.  Cereal in a bottle is a choking hazard, not to mention the fact that solids are recommended to be delayed until at LEAST 4 months, preferably 6 or longer.  It exponentially increass the risk of food allergies to introduce them earlier.  Just keep feeding him breastmilk or formula until he's old enough for solids, then do them off a spoon only.

Amanda~Cloth Diapering, Non-Spanking, Attached Mommy to my little miracle, Landon Joel, born 6 weeks too soon, 6-21-07, former refluxer, multiple food allergies, coolest kid on the block!

Then                                           Now

mommydaoust
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:36 PM

My daughter is 5 months old and has been on cereal for a month now!!  I give her a tablespoon a day with breastmik.  She likes it!!!!  Her pediatrician recommended she start it at her 4 month well visit!!!!  And I just read in my book Your Baby's First Year Week by Week that starting your baby on cereal between 4 and 6 months of age may help reduce his risk of developing Type 1 Diabetes later in life.  Starting solids before 3 months and after 6 months increases his risk by 4 times!!!!  It's mom's choice, but it is probably a good time!!!  Good luck:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)