Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Much needed potty training advice....(PIOG)

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:45 PM
  • 10 Replies

My DD is making great progress with her potty training. She is almost 3 days without a pee accident. Here's my problems...first, I cannot get her to poop in the potty. She will scream at the top of her lungs if DH or I even approach her while she's about to poop or is pooping. When we try to get her to the potty she  says "NO WAY!!" and flat out refuses. Any ideas? And the second problem I'm having is that whenever she pees in the potty her pee arcs right out of the potty. Sitting her further back on the potty doesn't seem to make any difference. i'm totally at a loss as to how to correct this. Has anyone ever dealt with this? Any tips? 

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tojalusa
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:58 PM

anyone????

adahmama
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:01 PM

My DD is only 11 months, so I don't have any advise, but here's a BUMP.

Angela.M.T.
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Maybe you could try to get one of those toddler toilet seats to put on top of your toilet.. but the BOY one. The one that has the guard in front so the pee stays in.

And for getting her to poop on the potty..  When i started training I would give my daughter one m&m everytime she went on the potty and she loved it and couldnt wait to go on the potty. You just have to make sure you dont give them to her other that. Or You could try a sticker chart?? everytime she goes poopy on the potty she gets a sticker on it. but when she goes in her diaper, you take one off... it worked on my neice.

good luck

lovelymoon
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Kids will pee in the potty first..Pooping in the potty will come in a about a month..just keep trying..

She will do it when she is ready just like peeing in the potty...

mommymary6507
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:09 PM

I am just starting out the potty training with my daughter, she is 19 months a little young, she has went on the potty twice so far and I started 2 weeks ago. She has the whole routineof going potty in her head, I say you have to go potty, and she runs to the bathroom and knocks on the door, but she just sits there and usually nothing, so we sit there for a while, and then she gets up and washed her hands. But I have come up with the idea that when she does finally go we give her a treat, and she will finally understand that when you go potty you get rewarded, then eventually she will be excited...I hope LOL. Good luck to you!

mommytotaylor
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:09 PM

i'm in the same boat, my dd was doing great, but when i start asking her more if she has to go to the potty she refuses, and she will not poop on the potty either, she has 2 times but thats it

if you find the secret i am all ears lol

Momofone87
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:20 PM

My DD potty trained at about 2 1/2...in a matter of a few days (because she finally decided SHE wanted to do it). And we discovered very quickly that she did NOT like an audience! LOL! Especially when she needed to poop. She would yell at us to get out! So we started putting her on the toilet and then leaving the bathroom door open, but getting out of sight until she was done. She's 3 1/2 now and usually still doesn't want anyone in the bathroom when she's pooping. But she'll yell for me as soon as she's done.

My DD made a mess peeing too! Using a cushy potty seat that goes on the regular toilet helped, although if it hasn't much with you I'd totally go with the other poster's suggestion of trying the ones with the "boy" attachment! Also, are you having her wear panties, or pull-ups? My DD did NOT want to go in her "big girl panties" so that helped a LOT. (I know you said she hasn't had an addicent in a few days, but it'd also help with the pooping issue maybe).

Good luck!

Megan-21, Dustin-23, Alauna-3, Xander-7 months

livin4kids
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:17 PM

the problem I founds with the arcs out of the toilet thing is that, if they do it once they think it is funny so they straighten their body enough to do it at all times.  I would tell my daughter to sit forward, I would even hold her hands when she was peeing til she understood.  Now with the poop thing. I would have my daughter come into the bathroom with me. (sounds gross but it worked for my baby girl.)  I would go poop get up and show her that I went poo poo in the potty and start jumping up and down saying "I'm a big girl I went poo poo in the potty" I then would flush the toilet and tell her if she went poo poo in the potty she could have an m&m or get to put a sticker on her board as a reward thing.  She is a reward driven kid.  After the first time she went poo poo in the potty I gave her an M&M and she put a sticker on her board and I was jumping up and down like an idiot making such a big deal, she always went poo poo in the potty after that.

I hope this helps.  Just some suggestions that I tried.

tojalusa
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:54 PM

Thank you all for the advice. Stupidly I threw away the boy pee splash sheild thingy that came with the potty so that is not an option. As for the poop issue, we do use a reward system. She gets 1 gummy bear for pee and 2 for poop (she chose gummy bears).  We have a potty chart with stickers and everything, but she still seem terrified to even try. I will try taking her to the bathroom with me when I go.......ahem.... #2 and see if that helps. Funny I took her with me when I peed to help get her familiar with what we do in the bathroom, but for whatever reason it never occurred to me to explain the poop part!! My older son was so easy to train, I guess I never really thought about it.  Also the privacy issue may also be a problem. She wouldn't even pee in the potty until I positioned it so that it wasn't facing the door. And yesterday she had most of her success when I was out of the room. She would yell at me, "Mom, I go myself!" and when I'd look sure enough she was sitting on the potty and had peed!!   Thanks for all the great insight. Hopefully she'll be pooping in the potty soon.

livin4kids
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:06 PM

That is awesome!  My daughter is all about the " I do it myself thing" she is very proud even now when she does it herself and she has been potty trained for a year now  :)  I hope this helps ( I was nervous bout the poop thing with my daughter too but it seemed to be the only thing that explained that u do both in there.

Think of it this way, if you see someone put flour in a bowl to make cookies and not the eggs would you think to put eggs in there? I wouldn't LOL!  I hope some of this helped and please keep me updated  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)