Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you leave your child with a sitter even if you don't work?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:26 PM
  • 22 Replies

I really need some time away from my son. My husband works long hours. I am looking for a sitter to watch him a couple days a week so I have time to myself, do housework, grocery shopping, etc. Plus it would be good for him to play with other kids. Am I being selfish?

~Nicole~
Mom to Brandon, 6-25-06

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jennamil47
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:28 PM

I don't think it's selfish at all.  Kids need the socialization.  It will teach them how to play with other kids, share, etc.  If I didn't work I would probably still have my daughter in a daycare or preschool at least 2 days a week.

preview image proud working mom

kgsharber
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:28 PM

I would say one day a week is cool. More than that I personally think is a little selfish.

HaydensMommy007
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:29 PM

I think it depends on how much time he will spend at the sitters...but I do think that moms need some time to themselves

Feminism was established to allow unattractive women easier access to the mainstream.

KeyandLiyah
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:31 PM

It's not being selfish. I would do it. Maybe like twice a week for a couple of hours. Every mom needs the me time. I don't get mine's that often, but when I get it I am so excited I don't know what to do with myself!

Live, Laugh, Love
c_boerman
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:31 PM

I do it!  I am a SAHM and have a 20 month old who goes to a licensed in home daycare once a week for about 3 hours and that is when I do my grocery shopping and other errands as well.  It has helped Landon with his socializing skills too. 

Go for it mama!

perfectmom20
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:33 PM

personally once a week is good,more than that I would say is selfish.  

10.jpg picture by issak2007

nmjordan

It would probably be about 12 hours a week. Would it make a difference if I said I'm bipolar and am very depressed right now and need the time away?

~Nicole~
Mom to Brandon, 6-25-06

Juliasmommie225

i leave julia with one!!! i need time for my self as well go for it!!!

LisaMarie27
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:58 PM

I am in the same situation as you. I wasn't a sahm with my daughter. I worked and did school. So it is great being home with my son, but...its a constant all the time he is with me. We as mommas NEED a little break away..especially on the really cranky days. No, it's not selfish of you at all. IT's practical. I just wish I didn't have this huge fear that someone will not watch my son, or hurt him.

KelseyNovy87
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:20 PM

my mom takes ds 1 day a week for about 3 hours so i can do our laundry (we have to go to the laundromat). that's usually the only time he's not with me. but now, since dh is away for 6 weeks for army training, i'm feeling a bit overwhelmed so my mom is taking ds overnight tomorrow night to give me some relaxation.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)