Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you do for your child (cold and flu)

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:31 PM
  • 8 Replies

So, what do you when your child starts getting sick, coughing, fever etc. What kinds of comfort things do you do, like humdifiers vicks etc. I want to get a list of things to do before having to use medication. also if you have any advice on what to do to get prepared for cold season please leave it here, thanks!

click here

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Michele79
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:51 PM

OJ, vicks on the feet, humidifier just about all you can you really. My son has a cough right now actually and I wish I could do more for him :(.

BingsMommy
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:10 PM

So, what do you when your child starts getting sick, coughing, fever etc. Fever is a sign of an infection.  Cour childs body is fighting off the bacteria.  He/she needs anti-biotics.   Bacteria has no cell wall, therefore, antibiotics can kill it. Now, for a Virus, only his/her body can fight it. Viruses have a cell wall and it protects them from being killed.

What kinds of comfort things do you do, like humdifiers, vicks, etc. Yes and food and liquids. Don't make your child too hot by drowning him/her in sweaters, blankets. 

I want to get a list of things to do before having to use medication. Get him to a doctor, and if the doctor prescribes anti-biotics, take the anti-biotics.

Also if you have any advice on what to do to get prepared for cold season please leave it here.  Immune fighting agents such as: Green tea, orange juice and cranberry juice.

My aunt has been drinking green tea for 30-years, she has not had a flu or cold in 30-years

ANGIE409
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Re: Vicks...I recently saw a news broadcast about Vicks and children.  Apparently, using Vicks can interfere with their ability to clear mucus and can make it worse.  Here are a few things I do:

1. Put a pillow under one side of the crib mattress so the mattress is on an angle.  This will help mucus drain throughout the night.

2. Vapor bath.  Steam up the bathroom before bedtime bath.  Then use Johnson's vapor bath in the tub (euculyptus, peppermint and other natural scents help open clogged nasal passages). 

3. Pedia Care makes a vaporizer that you plug into the wall which has non-medicated ingredients to help clear nasal passages...similar to vapor bath above.

4. Lots of liquids!  Play favorites...if your child loves apple juice....give them as much as they'll take.  Same with food.  (Give lots of orange foods if they'll take it...orange is usually an indicator of high vitamin C)

5. If your baby is over 6 mo....give Advil or Motrin for aches/pains/fever reducer.  It has an anti inflammatory in it and will help reduce swollen nasal passages, swollen throats and reduce aches. 

Baby_kisses
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 6:34 PM

i just dont like using medicines i want to use all the  hand-me down advice families have.  my mother in law says its better to keep the house cold ....but with kids who like to strip its kinda hard not to just turn up the heat. so now we're all stuck inside, sick kids and ice out doors

click here

momsquared79
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:57 PM

I take my kids to the chiropractor the minute I think something is coming on.  Their dr. told me that there is research showing that getting adjusted helps increase the immune.  So far it seems to be doing the trick.  Last winter they seemed to be sick all the time and haven't been bad at all since we started going.  We go to Whole Life Chiropractic, Dr. Murphy specializes in pediatrics and is great with the kids (they actually like to go :) ) her website is http://www.wholelifedc.com/   also my kids are on probiotics daily or they eat a yogurt with probiotics.  Good Luck

BingsMommy
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 2:10 AM

I'm not trying to jump on your ass, or create a argument. And believe me, alot of people love to argue here in CM.   

If he has fought off flus before w/out meds, it doesn't mean he can fight this one off.  Bacteria mutates and is really smart.

And the correction on your mother-in-law.  "Most" bacteria thrives in the cold, that is why when we are invaded, our bodies create a fever because our bodies know that the bacteria cannot live in heat.

Most people get sick during cold weather; more bacteria is alive.  It has little to do with the cold weather itself.

Because of the cold weather, it gives the bacteria/viruses the perfect opportunity, and they are more successful at winning us over.

It is similiar when Popeye ate spinach, he got strong and was able to fight.

It is also similiar why women get fevers during their first few weeks or months  of pregnancy.  Our body thinks its an invader, and uses heat.

Think about the success of Penicillin during WWII.

I was a biology/chemistry major, and I hope this helps.

Quoting Baby_kisses:

i just dont like using medicines i want to use all the  hand-me down advice families have.  my mother in law says its better to keep the house cold ....but with kids who like to strip its kinda hard not to just turn up the heat. so now we're all stuck inside, sick kids and ice out doors

BingsMommy
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 2:24 AM

I don't think that news broadcast is telling the entire story.  Maybe half of it is true, but who did they do the tests on?   Or, is it just one complaint.  Vicks has been around, since gosh, the 1950's I think.

If they did the Vicks test on... say.... on patients that have respiratory problems, then ya their ability to clear mucus will make it worse. I swear, the freakin' news.

Oh, and apple juice is loaded with sugar, and can create diarrhea, or make it worse. Water and Electrolytes is best for hydration.

Quoting ANGIE409:

Re: Vicks...I recently saw a news broadcast about Vicks and children.  Apparently, using Vicks can interfere with their ability to clear mucus and can make it worse.  Here are a few things I do:

1. Put a pillow under one side of the crib mattress so the mattress is on an angle.  This will help mucus drain throughout the night.

2. Vapor bath.  Steam up the bathroom before bedtime bath.  Then use Johnson's vapor bath in the tub (euculyptus, peppermint and other natural scents help open clogged nasal passages). 

3. Pedia Care makes a vaporizer that you plug into the wall which has non-medicated ingredients to help clear nasal passages...similar to vapor bath above.

4. Lots of liquids!  Play favorites...if your child loves apple juice....give them as much as they'll take.  Same with food.  (Give lots of orange foods if they'll take it...orange is usually an indicator of high vitamin C)

5. If your baby is over 6 mo....give Advil or Motrin for aches/pains/fever reducer.  It has an anti inflammatory in it and will help reduce swollen nasal passages, swollen throats and reduce aches. 

ANewPerspective
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 2:43 AM

I might get bashed for this... because I'm not sure if your supposed to do this. You know Shower Soothers? When my DD was about 6 months she got pretty sick because me and her daddy were sick. Well we loved using the shower sooters so we thought maybe putting her in the shower with us would help her too. So that's what we did. She took showers with us, with the shower soothers and they worked just as good for her as they did for us.  http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?id=prod1559858&CATID=100083&skuid=sku1559847&V=G&ec=frgl_613705&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=sku1559847

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)