Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need suggestions on getting kids to do chores..

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:04 PM
  • 11 Replies

I was wondering if any of you have a special way of doing a chore board or offer your kids special incentives to get them to do there stuff. I dont really ever have alot of money. I was looking for something different then allowance. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!!

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amaris_amor
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:07 PM

Well how old are they?  I would say special privledges!! Like staying up an hour later than usually allowed for doing that days chore or maybe.. being able to stay out an hour later or being allowed to spend the night at there friends house or... being able to eat something they normally aren't allowed to eat... being able to watch a certain show they aren't normally allowed to watch.. umm things like that.

mom22gr8boys
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:08 PM

how old are they?

mine are 2 and 3 and they get a tootsie roll for picking up their toys..lol

GabrielRiley
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:08 PM

My son is still to little for chores other than picking up his toys with help, but my mom used to put up a board with our chores on it and if we did all of them by the end of the week we were able to go to friends houses and play on the computer and just do fun stuff on the weekend. If not we were left cleaning the house on the weekend

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker

lilysmom31
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:10 PM

I saw a post one time where the mom gave them each a sock to put on their hand.  It was a contest to see who could get their sock dirtier first by cleaning stuff with it!  Make it a contest to see who can pick up their clothes faster or something like that.

tiriedmom
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:12 PM

I'm sorry that would be helpful wouldnt it. My son is 13 and of course wants to debate everything w/ me. My daughter is 7 and feels that everyone should do everything for her and she shouldnt have to lift a finger. And then there's me and i do EVERYTHING because i get tiried of arguing w/ them. Ok thanks again.. 

lilysmom31
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Then dont do it.  LOL  When its time for dinner tell them "sorry no one did dishes so we cant eat"  or "sorry you dont have clean clothes because you didnt wash them"   When their stuff isnt done, they will realize you do it all and now they must if they want things. When the trash is full, put it in their bedroom and leave it till they dump it. 

Quoting tiriedmom:

I'm sorry that would be helpful wouldnt it. My son is 13 and of course wants to debate everything w/ me. My daughter is 7 and feels that everyone should do everything for her and she shouldnt have to lift a finger. And then there's me and i do EVERYTHING because i get tiried of arguing w/ them. Ok thanks again.. 

lauriebash
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:16 PM

I GAVE UP! Just kidding. With 16 and (almost) 13 year old sons, they just can't go anywhere until things are done. Only school related activities that they are involved in. No gf's house, no mall, no basketball games (they just watch), AND no friends here. They get tired of being here with me and just do what they have to.

alliesmom112
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:21 PM

My parents had a very unique system. We received an allowance but it was with Monopoly money and we were able to "buy" things like we got to pick dinner, stay up late, extra time playing video games or on thw computer, or things like that. They would also buy candy and little things they found on sale that we could "buy". This worked for us as a reward system. Also if we didn't do our chores ie: cleaning our room, picking up after ourselves, my parents would take our stuff and we had to "buy" it back. 

tiriedmom
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:09 PM

Cool-i like that one. I can go to the dollar store and get that money. Does anyone know where u can go online and print off a chore chart or make one up. Someone posted one b4 in cafemom but now i cant find it.

Thanks!!!

surobb
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:23 PM

Doing the chores one is assigned ought to be part of the house rules.  If they don't do their chores, you should punish that however you punish other misbehavior in your house.  (In our family it's spanking and grounding and possibly more chores.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)