Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is Something Wrong Here??

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:29 PM
  • 9 Replies

Little history first - we just moved into our new home about 3 weeks ago. My oldest DD usually takes naps everyday and when she isn't feeling tired we ask her to stay in her "quiet" room where she can read and play quietly but she has to have some time to unwind. She's going to be 4 so she's in that "no-nap" transition but if she doesn't have time to unwind mid-day she get's irritable close to bed time.

Anyway, as for what is going on... For the last 3 or 4 days every time we lay her down she wakes up (about an hour after being in bed) screaming  hysterically. I go in there and she will be close to hyperventilating and have weird marks on her face. Almost as though someone smacked her and left welts. That is what it looks like. I sit with her, calm her down and the second I go to walk away she starts screaming again. Not a "just get me out of here" scream but a "don't leave me" kind of scream. Frightened... So I usually take her back downstairs. She has never been scared of being in her room for naps. Her sister sleeps in the room with her. During this time my toddler (2 yrs) will be asleep, nothing wrong with her. But Grace (4 yr. old) cannot handle being in there. It's so weird to me. 

Why did she start acting like this? What are those marks caused from? Why is she acting so frightened? I am just so darn confused right now and have no idea if this is normal or not. I mean, how do I even begin to explain this? Has this happened to any of you? Have your children gone through something similar? AND WHAT WAS GOING ON?? 

GlitterAmberCatchyCreationbyAmy.gif picture by preemiemommy
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
aplessner
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:32 PM

bump

MikeysMom51108
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:32 PM

I was going to suggest night terrors or anxiety from being in a different place, but neither of those would cause welts. Is it possible she's hitting herself in her sleep?

I really don't know...here's a bump though.

lenalove
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:35 PM

the welt look may be just from her getting so worked up and upset. when my son cries really hard his face gets read and swollen on the cheeks

marshaam
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:36 PM

No, this hasn't happened to me.  But, my son does wake up from night terrors.  She may just be frightened in her subconscience because of it being a new place and all.  She may be kicking and slapping herself.  That's the only thing I can think of.  Sorry, not much help.

laddaddid
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:39 PM

Do you ask her if "someone" is coming into her room?  After her nap downstairs, will she tell what her experience in her room upstairs is like.  There could be a spirit in the house that has attached itself to her. 

LatentBlonde
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Quoting laddaddid:

Do you ask her if "someone" is coming into her room?  After her nap downstairs, will she tell what her experience in her room upstairs is like.  There could be a spirit in the house that has attached itself to her. 

My SO's mother scarred him for life with stuff like this, which I do not recommend.

Are these welts like from pressing her face into a blanket or pillow?

Save Earth Pictures, Images and PhotosPro choice Pictures, Images and PhotosOBAMA Pictures, Images and PhotosStop Typing. Pictures, Images and PhotosLife Pictures, Images and PhotosHAPPY VALENTINES DAY Pictures, Images and Photos

AussieMum2
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:41 PM

My son had night terrors and nap time terrors when he started giving up his naps.

The Dr said that it is not uncommon when kids are really tired, and they will happen at roughly the same time every day/night.

Our son would shake and cry uncontrollably and say but I don't want to do it, which of course freaked us out.  I used to have to hold him and rock him and hush him to get him to go back to sleep.  He doesn't have any recollection when we ask him the next day.

We had a few bad weeks, over a couple of months and they are gone now.  He does get them occassionally if he stays up really late for a special occassion. eg New Years.

I hope this helps.

LoveMyBugs
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Thanks for the replies... She has never had a hard time sleeping for naps and we've been here for a couple weeks - problem free. The welts look weird, and there is nothing in her bed that would cause them. I'm not a "spirit" type of person but this freaks me out. She's not vocal enough to tell me what's going on because she has a Thrach. I can hear her screaming (because I'm used to the noise/sound of it) but she cannot explain things with words. The small vocabulary she does have doesn't include things like that, unfortunately... I'm not sure what is going on, it's weird but I think her next nap is going to include me sitting in there watching her!

GlitterAmberCatchyCreationbyAmy.gif picture by preemiemommy
laddaddid
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:55 PM

"STUFF LIKE THIS" is very real.  Asking questions does NOT scar children.   Blankets and pillows would leave impressions, not welts. 

Quoting LatentBlonde:

Quoting laddaddid:

My SO's mother scarred him for life with stuff like this, which I do not recommend.

Are these welts like from pressing her face into a blanket or pillow?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)