Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tips for entertaining a one year old...

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:18 PM
  • 8 Replies

This is my situation. My husband is currently deployed to Mosul Iraq until June for the Army Reserve. So that leaves me and my son here alone and Im pregnant with our second child.

I would love to entertain my son far more often than I do, but I have run out of ideas! I feel bad for him because I dont have a lot of energy to go places like I used to. What do you guys do to keep kids particularly toddlers entertained and happy?

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
oregonduck
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:21 PM

lol, I just gave my 15 month old a box of tissues, and he pulled them all out......I give him crayons and help him  "color".....good luck mama congrats on the soon to be new arrival

Victoria.M.Say
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:25 PM

Thats a great idea. Something simple to do for him that doesnt cost anything! Good suggestions! :)

Thank you!

crowned_mom
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:26 PM

my son loves straws,spoons and spatulas. lol. whenever we are out we always give him a straw from one of our drinks or a plastic spoon. he will play with it for hours. dont ask me why. we got him this elmo's kitchen for xmas and he has yet to put the spatula that came with it down. its hilarious.

Mommy to Nolan, Wife to Mattin lovetoddler boy

angie729
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Bubbles, chunky crayons, edible playdough, edible finger paint, roll a ball back and forth, make a tent out of a sheet and some chairs, read books, puppets (make some out of old socks), music and let the dance, make some insturments out of 2 liter coke bottles or milk jugs (put rice or beans in them and super glue them shut), make drums out of coffee cans or oatmeal cans. Hope these ideas help you out some. Congratulations on your new baby.

Mom2Kelsey
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:27 PM

me & my dd do art projects...she's 1 1/2.....

newmommyhjm
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:34 PM

My dd is 10 months old now, baby number two on the way and hubby is leaving for Afghanistan next month! ;0)

My dd loves music... I'll turn on some of her baby CDs and we'll dance... if I get too tired, I'll sit and she'll stand while I move her arms and legs in dance movements! lol.

We read books, A LOT! She LOVES books... and it's a bit calming too.

I let her entertain herself with her toys... if I need to get something done.

Depending on the weather, go outside, let him run around... wear him out. I take my dd outside often, she loves to be outside... she isn't walking yet, but she is dang good at chasing a ball while crawling in the grass! lol.

Arts and crafts are always good entertainers... like others said. My dd already LOVES to color... she's pretty good too.

If I run out of ideas, we head to the bath... she LOVES bathtime. ;0) Her squirty toys are a big hit!

bubbles are always fun... just blow some bubbles and let him pop them and play in them. ;0)

*Heather*...
I am a creative Christian who loves life... I am a hardworking, book-reading, intelligent student... I am a sweaty, competitive athlete... I am a wife who always kisses him goodnight... I am a mommy who loves her daughter more than life itself... all of this, mixed with a little imperfection, messiness and love is ME!
"The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up" -Paul Valery

Victoria.M.Say
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 1:03 AM

So basically all the toys that I have bought for him are pretty much a waste of money if all the things that are being suggested are free?!? LOL!

brookies_mommy
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 1:19 AM

hahaha I know what thats like.

like other people said do art projects. Send them to your DH,. Im sure he would be thrilled to get them. Paint, color, make playdoh creatiions. teach him to cook. little things he can do to help.. let him put the sprinkles on suger cookies, then send some to daddy. have fun, and dont put too many rules on it. also teach him, colors, words, shapes, songs, you name it. turn the tv off and spend 1-1 time together. you will love it just as much as he will, and think about the relationship you are builing with him :) another thing i like to do, my daughter gets the food adds from stores and cuts out what she wants and then glues them onto paper, then that is her shoping list. she picks what she wants (within reason) and it also helps her behave in the store too :d hope that helps

Quoting Victoria.M.Say:

So basically all the toys that I have bought for him are pretty much a waste of money if all the things that are being suggested are free?!? LOL!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/september2005

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)