Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some advise my son is sick

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:36 PM
  • 5 Replies

Around 4 pm today my DS started to run a fever 101.3, I gave him tylenol and it went down to 97.5 when the meds. wore off the fever shot right back up and I gave him some more tylenol at 8:15 and the fever hasn't went down it has actually went up to 102.4 and his little heart is racing. It is so bad out right now that I really don't want to get him out in the weather, 3in snow + 2 in. of ice on top and there are trees and limbs falling all around us. Should I brave the weather and take him to the acute care or just monitor his fever overnight and hope I can get out tomorrow?

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Eyes4music
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:41 PM

If I were you I would brave the weather but I get nervous about stuff like that.  If you cant get out, Try putting him is a bath with ice cubes and water, my sister had really bad fevers as a kid and my mom would always do this cause that is all that worked.

myfoursonsks
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:45 PM

The fever is fine, it is the body trying to fight something. It is normal for the heart rate to speed up when they have a fever.

Try alternating Tylenol and Ibuprofen every 2 hours to keep the fever down and call the doc in the morning.  Really you don't have anything to worry about as long as he is not severely dehydrated and not showing any other severe symptoms. 

1Anita1
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:50 PM

I would not reccomend the ice cubes, but I would suggest that you give the baby a luke warm bath.

The Tylenol will assist as well.  Make certain that the baby is given fluids as much as possible.

Give medication according to directions.

What other symptoms does the baby have?

Momma2Emma08
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:55 PM

Tylenol every 4 hours, monitor fever every 2. I would at least give your MD a call to see what they think. Does the little one seem extremely tired, or not eating like usual? Just follow your gut feeling!

pambayens
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:12 PM

He is very sleepy and he has only eaten a little bit today. I'm just worried about my lil' guy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)