Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP! If you are not a CIO mama or can not respect that decision then don't bother looking .....

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:27 PM
  • 44 Replies

So right now I am trying to ween my daughter from going to bed with a bottle .... we got her to start taking water instead of formula but now we want to get rid of the bottle all together. Well I am sitting here listening to her cries and am so sad! I know I am making the choice to let her CIO and am ultimately ok with it ... she doesn't cry for that long anyways ... but that doesn't mean it's not sad still. We started this the past week and it just so happened my BF was home the last few nights. He took some vaca time but normally works nights. Well tonight is the first night I am doing it alone and it sucks!!! He usually stops me from going in there but can't tonight. Ugh! Just wanted to vent a little. I SWEAR she KNOWS it's just me here cuz the past few nights she will wait about 10 mins BEFORE she even starts crying and tonight as soon as she hit the crib it started. She knows mommy will cave faster than daddy lol. Anyways .... thanks for reading and if you want to leave any COMFORTING words of encouragment please feel free but I do not want this post to start a debate between CIO or not to CIO. Thanks mamas!

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
zoeysmom331
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:29 PM

Oh good luck mama! The first week or two are always the hardest, but I promise it does get easier!

Just because she calls me Mom does not mean I am going to stop being Jen

austinsm0mmy

Be strong Mama you can do it.  Just keep telling yourself that if you go in there than all her crying up until now will be for nothing.  Once you start CIO you got to stick with your plan otherwise you are putting them through it for nothing.  It another week you will be amazed that she hardly crys at all, and she won't have her bottle.

drinkingtoddler boy

Republican voting, wine drinking, working mom and Air Force Wife 

steph2884

It breaks my heart when my son is crying, but it's the only way I could get him to go to sleep. Nothing else worked. Cuddling didn't work with him, he would just start climbing all over me. Just keep at it, she'll get the idea.

pregnancy calendar

baby

MommyDillard

hugs I know exactly how you feel! Hang in there!

YES WE CAN!

FlattMama2
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:31 PM

We are going through the same thing right now with our son.  I can't even get him to take a water bottle at bed it's a formula bottle or he is screaming.  But we are trying and it just takes a little patience.  WE CAN DO IT!!! Once she learns that you won't cave either before you know it it will stop.  My hubby is the one that always caves here and he works some nights throught he week and in same boat where he cries more when he known Daddy is home tonight.  But I wish you long in this long painful journey.

good luck

mommy_maria
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:31 PM

Thanks ladies! Did any of you try to let them cry for a bit then when they stopped crying go in with a bottle (or whatever you were letting them CIO for)??? I did it the first night but am thinking it defeats the purpose but BF said as long as she isn't crying she isn't thinking it was the crying that got her the bottle? Make sense? Or is it best to just get rid of the bottle cold turkey?

PolandMomof3
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:33 PM

I am so sorry you are going thru this , i wish i could help more but just remember it will get better soon.

I am a hippie SAHM,  tattoo having ,easy going, cigarette smoking, homeschooling,earth loving,pacifier giving,  mom and wife who doesnt care what anyone else thinks, I don't judge you so don't judge me kinda person

austinsm0mmy
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:35 PM

If the goal is to get rid of the bottle I would just go cold turkey.  If you are going to give it to her anyway you might as well just give it to her and skip the whole crying thing.

Quoting mommy_maria:

Thanks ladies! Did any of you try to let them cry for a bit then when they stopped crying go in with a bottle (or whatever you were letting them CIO for)??? I did it the first night but am thinking it defeats the purpose but BF said as long as she isn't crying she isn't thinking it was the crying that got her the bottle? Make sense? Or is it best to just get rid of the bottle cold turkey?

drinkingtoddler boy

Republican voting, wine drinking, working mom and Air Force Wife 

vivalaham
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:38 PM

I didn't do CIO with my son, i kind of took baby steps with him. I had to rock him to sleep every night and he'd have to be DEAD asleep before i could lay him down, then slowly put him down when he's a little awake, then lay him down when he's just sleepy and stand by him and rub his head to get him to go to sleep, stuff like that. i don't remember exactly how i got him to where he is now.. he's 16 months now and the ONLY way he will ever go to sleep is by himself. I can't hold him or rock him to sleep now. he just wont go to sleep that way. he still sits in his crib and talks and babbles to himself for a while before finally laying down and going to sleep though... and sometimes he still cries. and there's nothing i can do! i can't rock him to sleep or anything, he doesn't take a binky.. i just have to put him in there and let him cry. like today he was throwing the biggest fit i have ever seen in my life and every time i picked him up he would scream harder, hit me, scratch me, pull my hair (oooh i was so mad at him) i was like "you know what, fine." and just plopped him in his bed and let him scream himself to sleep. didn't really feel all that bad though, he left a huge scratch mark on my arm ...

Jadesmommy12
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:39 PM

I am a CIO mama but I just have to suggest something...... I don't mean this to be rude in any way or for you to think that it isn't encouraging because I know it is hard. My husband works out of town all the time and I have to do it by myself also. But......maybe she is hungry......My daughter is also a year old, born on Jan 12th and she has to have that last bottle before bed time to make it through the night.  She eats 3 meals a day and we give her a bottle right before bed, but not in her crib. At this age, she might be hungry still because she is so young. I know it is hard to let her cry, but I wouldn't just ignore her completely. How many times does she eat during the day? My daughter eats meals at 9am, 1pm, 5pm and then has her bottle around 8:30. Good luck to you and I hope it gets easier. I know it hurts you more than her to hear her crying.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)