Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i need help fast please

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:47 PM
  • 14 Replies

so my pre-k aged dd has to do a science fair experiment/project and it cant be anything like a volcano or the solar system. it has to be an actual experiment. and she has to do most of it. i can only help her a little bit. what would you all think would be good. any ideas would be greatly appreciated. i thought of this one

how dirty is the air

what you need: 4 index cards, 4 ziplock bags, petroleum jelly, plastic knife, vacuum, and dust rag

what you do: spread the petroleum jelly on two of the cards and place one under your bed and the other on a shelf. then wait 2 days and take them out and put each of them in a ziplock bag and record how much dust is on each of them. then you vacuum and dust and repeat. once complete you compare all the cards.

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
armyvetmommy
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:49 PM

that sounds like a really good one!  why don't you do that one!?  when i was little i made a true-to-life mold of the moon, complete with all of the little craters with a flag in each one containing the actual name of the crater on the moon.  then my dad and i took pictures of the moon at each changing phase, hehe, it was fun.

I am a U.S Army Combat Veteran of OIF

Mom2Kelsey
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:51 PM

Hey...... this is random........... but what does Addicted to the stick mean?

Quoting armyvetmommy:

that sounds like a really good one!  why don't you do that one!?  when i was little i made a true-to-life mold of the moon, complete with all of the little craters with a flag in each one containing the actual name of the crater on the moon.  then my dad and i took pictures of the moon at each changing phase, hehe, it was fun.

mrs_stanton
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:55 PM

When I was little I did an experiment to count how many times a person blinks while reading a certain amount of pages of a book. I was trying to compare and contrast the number of blinks to the age of the person. I actually got an honerable mention. If your daughter can count she can do something like that!

sadeyez11
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:58 PM

i think that one is good, i will have to see if she likes that one.

Quoting mrs_stanton:

When I was little I did an experiment to count how many times a person blinks while reading a certain amount of pages of a book. I was trying to compare and contrast the number of blinks to the age of the person. I actually got an honerable mention. If your daughter can count she can do something like that!

Tarable525
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 12:01 AM

she can take an empty 2 liter, put some vinegar in it.  take a balloon, put some baking soda in it.  put the balloon over the mouth of the 2 liter bottle.  you straighten out the balloon causing the baking soda to go into the balloon and it will mix with the vinegar and cause the balloon to inflate.

there's a scientific explination to why this happens, the vinegar and baking soda causes a chemical reaction that produces gas which it what blows up the balloon.

i did a quick search on yahoo and found a site that had this on there  http://all-science-fair-projects.com/science_fair_projects/39/830/830aa6ec5192bcd2c8b299759ec7ce3f.html

here's another site with some neat experiments to do as well.  some of them might be a little advanced for her age, but will be worth looking at.  http://members.ozemail.com.au/~macinnis/scifun/miniexp.htm#19

LavenderMom23
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 12:14 AM

Stick aka Pregnancy Test

Quoting Mom2Kelsey:

Hey...... this is random........... but what does Addicted to the stick mean?

Quoting armyvetmommy:

mrs_stanton
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 12:35 AM

If she doesn't like that you can always have her do the experiment to see how many licks it actually takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop!!! It would make the teacher laugh and it would be great to see if she could make it to the center without biting and keep track of the number. That teaches them counting, patience, and teaches them to stick with something until the end!

sadeyez11
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 1:04 AM

i reallly like the tootsie pop one. it is cute. she will really like that. my bil told me he did it in high school. he said it took over 1,000 licks. that is the coolest one i have seen, it is the neatest one too. she will really like it.

Quoting mrs_stanton:

If she doesn't like that you can always have her do the experiment to see how many licks it actually takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop!!! It would make the teacher laugh and it would be great to see if she could make it to the center without biting and keep track of the number. That teaches them counting, patience, and teaches them to stick with something until the end!

mrs_stanton
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 1:10 AM

Glad I could help :)

Mommymo08
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 11:55 AM

how about a soluability experiment (to see whether things are water soluable) you get a bunch of clear container and mix stuff with water to see if it disolves....sugar, salt, oil, nai polish  something like that?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)