Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Name change

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:54 AM
  • 8 Replies

I'm trying to find out how to change my son's name. When he was born I stupidly gave him my last name-my now ex's last name. My son hasn't used his full name since he was really young. To change his name would I have to go through a legal name change or could I just change his name on his birth certificate? Nobody is listed as the father and my ex never took a DNA test. I was told I wouldn't need his consent,but don't know how to actually go about changing his name. I know this is probably a stupid question,but I REALLY want to change his name

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Liluckyducky7
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 3:07 AM

Call the soical security office... they are the one who do name changes...

BingsMommy
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 3:08 AM

I did this in 2000 here in the state of California. 

To change his name would I have to go through a legal name change or could I just change his name on his birth certificate?   Here in California, the rules only allow to do a legal name change,  I didn't have a problem with it, and the judge just signed my request. You cannot change the original birth certificate.

Nobody is listed as the father and my ex never took a DNA test. I had my ex-boyfriend listed as the father, I met him when I was probably 2-weeks pregnant, he wanted to be the father.  When my daughter was born, I gave her my ex-boyfriends last name; he left me 2-days after she was born.  Well, 3-months later, I got back together with my daughter's biological father.  My daughter originally had my ex-boyfriend's last name.  The courts wouldn't let me put her last name as her biological fathers' because I would've had to have my ex-boyfriend withdraw parental rights, and have her biological dad adopt her ------ I know doesn't make sense.................Anyhow, One day, she'll look at her birth certificate, and I'll have some explaining to do.

I was told I wouldn't need his consent, No you don't need his consent.  Just put "absent father".  Same as if you get your child a passport. I  put "absent father", a week later the passport office called me, and I explained to them on the phone, a few days later I got my daughter's passport.  I went out of the country with her 2 years ago; no problems.

but don't know how to actually go about changing his name.  Go get a Name Change Petition form thing at your local legal documents store aka "Do It Yourself Legal", it's about $20.00 for the form.  I think you can also download a form for free on your county courthouses' website. I paid $160.00 for the name change to the court. I know it's alot of $$$, but it was worth it.

I know this is probably a stupid question,but I REALLY want to change his name.  It's not stupid, shit happens. It has happned to alot of girls.

jaksensmama
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 3:08 AM

I am again in the same boat, i dont quite know but i am pretty sure you have to do a legal name change... i was wondering dont know if you know but if i change my sons last name to mine would i still get child support...? lol im so mixed up in this whole divorce thing, sorry its a really random question you probably dont know. lol

Pyzam Family Sticker Toy

MartynsMommy
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 3:16 AM

I'm not gonna swear to it,but I don't believe changing your son's name would affect child support.

DeTora_Family
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 3:18 AM

Quoting jaksensmama:

I am again in the same boat, i dont quite know but i am pretty sure you have to do a legal name change... i was wondering dont know if you know but if i change my sons last name to mine would i still get child support...? lol im so mixed up in this whole divorce thing, sorry its a really random question you probably dont know. lol

Regardless of your son's last name, you'll still get child support.  My older son has always had my last name and his father paid.

~Please read my toddler blog-Raising Rocco~

~Join us in the group "Shop Health and Wellness"~

I am a green, natural-birthing, co-sleeping, non-CIO, baby-wearing, cloth-diapering, extended-breastfeeding, non-spanking, delayed-vaccinating, early toilet-teaching, Irish Catholic mama of advanced maternal age to a rear-facing toddler.  You don't have to agree, but that's me.  Nice to meet you.

jaksensmama
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 3:21 AM

okay thanks cause i have been dying to! lol. i dont know why we were married (technically still are) in 2007 and i never changed my last name to his- luckily but i made my sons his last name and my sons middle name is my ex's late grandpas so i was thinking maybe i could convince him to let me change both or one or the other or make his last name jaksens middle name right now he is Jaksen Wilfred Masson so i was thinking i could change it POSSIBLY to Jaksen Masson S. - my last name. cause it sounds like a normal name. it would just be easier for everything if it was my last name cause like at doctor appts they're like your last name? and im always like wait...mine or his...? lol it sucks,..

Pyzam Family Sticker Toy

jaksensmama
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 3:24 AM

Thanks! I should go talk to my lawyer about it.. i dont know how to do it either. i dont even know if my lawyer knows. lol well he should. im sorry im very "venty" tonight.

Quoting DeTora_Family:

Quoting jaksensmama:

Regardless of your son's last name, you'll still get child support.  My older son has always had my last name and his father paid.

BingsMommy
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 3:39 AM

Yes, it's true. Atleast here in California.  I've had friend of friends in this same situation and they got child support.

Quoting MartynsMommy:

I'm not gonna swear to it,but I don't believe changing your son's name would affect child support.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)