Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

left back in kindergarden?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 9:18 AM
  • 8 Replies

my sister is 5 years old and they want to leave her back in kindergarden b/c she seems to be some how getting other students to do the work for her she is now the only girl besides my mother left in the house and has three brothers she gets them to do everything for and if they dont he crys. Is it okay to leave he back when she is only in kindergarden... 

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
jenjobrien
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 9:19 AM

Yep. We left my son back in kindergarten because he has adhd and needed the extra time to learn.  Hes in 1st grade now and doing alot better!

itsnotaboutm765
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 9:20 AM

It actually happens alot.  But if she isn't ready for 1st then you really don't want her to go into 1st.  It would be far worse to get held back when she is older

dilateyourmind
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 9:21 AM

Its very common. Don't take it as an insult. They are just suggesting what is best for th echild.

Not trying to hate, just educate. Just because its my opinion, doesn't mean I think I know whats best for you. Its just another perspective.

mommytoG
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 9:22 AM

Well that all would depend on how well she does on the tests and stuff they take. I really dont know how to answer that. Has anyone talked to her about why she doesnt do the work and has someone else do it? Maybe she doesnt do it because she knows how and its not challanging enough.

My brother was like that and he quit is jr or sr yr because it was too easy for him do and he didnt want to do, but when something a bit hard was out in front of him he would do it, he still quit though

,,,,, ,

bratmom3
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 9:22 AM

ABSOLUTELY!!!    ACTUALLY KINDERGARTEN IS THE BEST TIME FOR THEM TO BE LEFT BACK. THERE'S NO PEER TEASING ETC.   AT THAT AGE I WOULDN'T EVEN WORRY ABOUT IT.   SOMETIMES THEY'RE JUST NOT MATURE ENOUGH TO SETTLE DOWN AND DO THE WORK THEMSELVES, BUT I THINK MAYBE YOUR MOM AND BROTHERS SHOULD STOP DOING EVERYTHING FOR HER AT HOME AS WELL.   SHE MOST LIKELY EXPECTS IT!  :  )

Janis198
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 9:35 AM

1 of my daughters got left back in Kindergarden, and it help her alot, she had only turned 5 a month before school started, so I think she was to young, she did much better at age 6.

since she is still only 5, she will still be in with kids her age in kindergarden next year.

Janis mommy to 5 great kids, 4 girls and 1 boy

having chocolate

startrace96
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 9:58 AM

I sub at the school a lot and I see cases when they do need to be left back. They will do lots better in school later. One example, the teachers wanted to keep a boy in kindergarten and the parents would not let them (kindergarten is not required where I live). When he got to 1st grade he couldnt do the work and he got held back in 1st grade anyway. So I'd say if they're not ready to move up a grade I'd let them stay back. If they cant do the work now, when they go up a grade it only gets harder and it may make her more mad and she may give up on school work at all. Good Luck

michelleb777
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 10:03 AM

yes she needs to learn how to do her own work i was held back and to be honest i don't remember caring then or now because if they wouldn't held me back i would not have meant my husband. it will be better for her in the long run

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)