Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

when do i move him out of a crib?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:48 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hey girls, I'm in need of a little advice and you ladies have always come through for me in the past so I'm coming to you again.  My son Cade is 11mo old today and yesterday I found out that I am 7weeks pregnant with our second child (SUPRISE!)  my husband and I discussed where to put the baby and where to put Cade cuz we only really have one bedroom besides ours and its Cades room at the moment.  We have decided to make our back porch into a bedroom for Cade (our spring time project).    So heres my ACTUAL question... SINCE HE WILL ONLY BE A YR AND A HALF WHEN THE BABY IS BORN DO WE KEEP HIM IN HIS CRIB (which is 3 way convertable) OR DO WE GET HIM A BIG BOY BED FOR HIS BIG BOY ROOM AND USE HIS CRIB FOR THE BABY?  keep in mind that this boy acts like he's two and hes not even a yr yet. hes been walking since he was 8-9months and is very self sufficient for his age.  plus the bed we'd get him is a covered wagon and the inside has a mattress (so cute!)... it has tall sides so he wont roll out then the end of it (where his feet go) there is a narrow opening where he climbs a tiny set of stairs (2 or 3 stairs i think).  I am not worried about him rolling or falling, I am more worried about him getting out of bed in the middle of the night and playing with his toys lol.  I have months to plan for this but its been bugging me since yesterday!  Any advice helps! THANKS!

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
jcp270
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:50 PM

You could always try the toddler bed.  And if it doesn't work out then get another crib.  OR have the new baby in a bassinet and your older one in the crib until he is ready.  Which might fit in your timeline a little better. 

MzCrYsTaLeYeZ
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:56 PM

I moved my babies out of the crib at 18 months at the advice of a friend when her son could climb over the side at 18 mos!It sounds like the toddler bed you're planning on will be safe for your lil one and adorable too:)He probably will get out of bed and you'll probably have to just keep putting him back in until he has learned to stay,kinda like the "back to bed" technique Supernanny teaches!Good luck and congrats!FYI:I really like the previous advice about the bassinet.I did something similar because mine are close in age too:)

lcbowman
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:57 PM

I would move him to at least a toddler bed and sooner rather than later.  This will give him time to get used to it before the baby comes.  As for getting up and playing in the night if he does not wake up and play in his crib now I would not worry about it later.  I put a baby gate in front of kiddo's room so they could not wander the house and I could still hear them if they cried.  Also keep in mind if you are thinking of potty training anytime soon you want him in some kind of "big boy" bed.  Otherwise it is very difficult to night train.  That or they yell for you to come get them so they can go potty OR they climb out.

We moved our youngest to a toddler bed when he was just over a year old and never had any problems whatsoever.   

ShawnsMom31
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 3:00 PM

My son was about a 11/2 when he started sleeping in a bed (A twin car bed) He doesn't have any toys in his room , and I put a gate (That he can't climb) across the door at night. He is 27 months now and everything is great. The problem with toddler beds is most use a crib mattress , so you would have to buy another bed within a few years. It would definitely be more cost effective to just get him a twin bed , before your new baby comes.  Here is a picture of him when he was about 20 months in his bed.

LooLoves2
by on Feb. 7, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Thanks ladies!  Ya I'm sure I'll have the new baby in a bassinet for a month or so... we did that with Cade and it was soooooo nice. Cade actually stayed in the bassinet for about 2 1/2 months 'cause our baby monitor broke and we couldnt afford the one we wanted (it has a long range so we can take it outside when we feed the horses and dogs etc).    Maybe we'll convert the crib to a toddler bed in a few months just to try it and if it seems to be working well then we'll go for teh cute bed! lol... we are also going to try to potty train Cade this summer (my husband wants to teach him how to aim by peeing on bugs and lizards lol im fine with it as long as they stay out of my garden! hahaha)   So hopefully that will take well before the baby is born then we'll only have one in diapers!

dosthepost
by on Feb. 7, 2009 at 12:04 PM

My DD is 11 months old too, and I want to put her in her toddler bed (it has a rail) as soon as possible, but I'm so worried about her trying to get out and hurting herself... I guess no pain no gain, huh? LOL.

ClairDL
by on Feb. 7, 2009 at 12:05 PM
it's recommended at 15 months, but really whenever they're ready. My son started getting out of his crib at 13 months, and so that's when we switched him. If he's still doing fine in a crib I'd leave him in it until you absolutely have to take him out.
LooLoves2
by on Feb. 10, 2009 at 1:38 PM

I'm not so worried about Cade hurting himself getting out of the toddler bed because he already juknows how to get down off of our bed, the couch and even plays on the jungle gym at daycare and does just fine (it has a little step ladder)  so I think as long as your DD can get down off of things that are high up then I wouldnt worry about that too much.  My main concern is Cade playing in the middle of the night and not getting any sleep lol.

Quoting dosthepost:

My DD is 11 months old too, and I want to put her in her toddler bed (it has a rail) as soon as possible, but I'm so worried about her trying to get out and hurting herself... I guess no pain no gain, huh? LOL.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)