Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

7 month old really sick

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:31 AM
  • 7 Replies

My 7 month old has been sick for a few days. He had a 102 temp yesterday, and we managed to get it down. He has also had Diarrhea. Today it's gotten really bad to the point where he screams if we go anywhere near his butt. It is really red, and the only thing I can do is rinse his little hiney off with cool water and pat it with a washcloth to clean it and then put A&D ointment on it, otherwise he screams in pain.
He doesn't want pedilyte and he doesn't seem to interested in a bottle. What should I do??
I am really upset because the way he screams it's like someone is torturing him.

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MommaLiss777
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:34 AM

His bum is red and sore because diarreah has a lot of acid in it.  With a fever that high and the diarreah, you need to be most concerned with dehydration.  If he's not drinking a lot, or not keeping it down, take him to the hospital.

djanowski775
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:34 AM

Keep offering him fluids..that is the most important thing he needs right now..you could try  just sitting with him in a nice bath for a little bit for his red butt but other than those things there isnt much you could do...I wouldnt even go to the doctor unless his temperature goes above 102 and is uncontrollable..good luck and I hope your baby feels better..my 6 month old has had a cough for over a month..so i am hoping its not serious

~Owen's Mommy~boy kissing mom

jaedynmoon
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:39 AM

My 7 month old just went through something similar except she didn't have a fever and she was throwing up.  I took her to the ER in the middle of the night because she kept throwing up and being a first time mom I was worried as hell.  Try to keep offering Pedialyte.  That's all my daughter could drink for like almost 3 days and she had a butt rash from whatever stomach bug she had.  Check his soft spot to make sure it isn't sunken in, is his mouth still wet? does he have tears when he cries still?  If not take him to the ER.  Have you taken him to the doctor or called the doctor yet because of the fever?  Does he still have a fever or is that gone?

Sakevich
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:44 AM

Yes, they told me if I could get it to go down to not worry about coming in.
It hasn't been that high (that I've checked today and I don't want to do it now that
he has such a sore little booty) but he does feel warm to the touch, so I suspect he does have a low-grade fever.

cdnmom24
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:45 AM

He really needs fluids. Try giving him a sugar free popsicle, the ones made from 100% fruit juice. I think pedialyte makes a freezie too.

2mothershelpers
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:10 AM

You need to buy pedialyte and with a medicene dropper squeeze 15 ml. in the corner of his mouth slowly every few min.  This can save you an ER trip if you do it often enough. You must do this my daughter had a seizure from this same thing lack of fluid and her potassium was low. She quickly got very bad that it surprised me to see her seizing and scared me to death. Praise Jesus she is fine now but YOU need to get this child liquids pedialyte is all the baby needs I believe call the Doc right NOW! find out for sure. Hospitals are good for this in such a young baby but please force fluids. Potassium in pedialyte!

also try switching to white grape juice it is easier on the tummy. Nurse him if you can all day if u have to my daughter had a seizure from dehydration it is very serious he may need iv fluids if it lasts really runny  more than a day. Is he throwing up too? that would be reallly bad! poor guy, prayers to Jesus!

Dear Jesus please heal this little guy and give his mother wisdom.

in Jesus name Amen

2mothershelpers
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:22 AM

buy the really thick cream desitin does not work it rubs off. 

little ones brand works sold at k-mart or petroleum jelly

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)