• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can anyone help w/ my 5 year old son's behavior?? Kinda long

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:44 AM
  • 4 Replies

He is a great kid for his age. He is a great big brother. Helps out with the LO's (ages 3 & 1mo) He is a little wild when he gets exited but that goes for any five year old. He is so smart for his age, he is a little angel. AT HOME!!!!!

When he is at school, he becomes a little monster! I can't believe some of the things he does at school. He USED TO: Kick and scream if he didnt want to do something. There was a point where he was physically hurting ppl at school. He punched a little boy in the mouth, kicked the teacher and scratched her, he got kicked out of one daycare, and suspended from school twice! NOW: he has stopped being physical and just wont follow directions, has gotten into stealing toys and materials from kids and the teachers, likes to talk and play when its not time to, and sometimes cant sit still. I know its NOT A.D.D. because he is learning just fine and he does good at home.

He didnt just start behaving this way, he has always been a bit stubborn. once hes got an idea in his head, thats it! he is doing it regardless of consiquences.

We have taken away priveleges, toys, movie time, we tried time out, and spankings, talking to him, AND ignoring the behavior. We have tried incentives and such. He says he acts out because he doesnt get prizes and participate in fun things at school. He doesnt realize its because of his behavior he doesnt get to do those things.

Questions:

Has anyone gone through this before? What worked for him? Is it a phaze?

THANKS IN ADVANCE! Im exausted. I want to help my son.

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
praisinghim2day
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:29 AM

His behavior at SCHOOL sounds like O.D.D. (Oppositional Defiance Disorder my youngest has it).  It had violent tendancies and the word stubborn doesn't even BEGIN to cover a good description.  It NEVER travels alone, it always has a shadow disorder, most common one being ADHD. But if he doesn't do it at home I don't think that's it.  Have you considered taking him to a child psychologist?

Wish I could be of more help... but here's a bump for ya!

lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:35 AM

No its NOT a phase.I would recommend talking with his pediatrician and hopefully he will turn you on to a child Physcologist. or have some ideas.I hope you can get your son help and get him back in control of himself.

jenke
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:40 AM

This sounds so much like my son he is 5 almost 6 and he is in kindegarten he just got diagnosed with ADHD,  it is not that he is not smart he is he just could not control himself.  We started a low dose med yesterday and wow the difference he is still loving and all but he was so much calmer he got mad and usually when he gets mad he screams and hits and yesterday he talked in a calm voice and no hitting whatsoever. 

I would consider getting him evaluated.  It was so hard for me to make the decision to do this but I had to do what was best for my son.

Good Luck

Moms Supporting one Another
http://www.cafemom.com/group/94110 

NJMom2Tyler
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:58 AM

Sounds like my sweet 5 year old...he's gotten ALOT better over time because once I noticed this behavior I got him help ASAP. He's been receiving speech therapy and counseling since he was 3 and is now about to get OT for help with impulsive control.

I've taken him to see a child psychologist and neurologist who both said that he has impulse control disorder...the OT should do the trick. Not to mention he's smart as a whip and bored with the academics in school. I suggest you taking your son to see a child neurologist or psychologist. There may not be an official diagnosis but they can help you figure out ways to help your son...the sooner the better. Good luck mama!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)