Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New mom needs help! My baby won't sleep!!!

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:45 AM
  • 11 Replies

My week-old baby sleeps during the day and is constantly waking up at night! How can I successfully change his schedule???

Also...when we put him down to sleep during the day, he's ok on his own...but at night he will cry until someone holds him. What do I do???

Or is this all normal? I'm a first-time mom and I'm not sure what to do!
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GabrielRiley
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:47 AM

It's basically normal. You just have to start not letting him sleep so much during the day and hopefully he'll get the idea that dark means sleep. You could also make it really dark wherever you sleeps so that will help inforce the dark when you sleep concept.

gabriiellax0
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:49 AM

its all normal .. but getting a week old to get on a schedule is extremely hard .. i didnt get my daughter on a schedule until she was about 2 months old ..

CashJulianMommy
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:49 AM

I am so sorry I have no advice, I just pushed and suffered through this phase. I think every newborn is like this and they will soon change their schedule within a couple weeks........

mommy2bunny
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:50 AM

It's very normal, so relax.  It will pass.  Newborns need to sleep no matter what time of day/night it is.  But, you can try to keep him up more during the day so he sleeps better at night.  Plus, if you can, during the day when he's napping, you should too.  I know it's hard, but you'll feel better.   My DD just wanted to be held all the time too, but I layed her down anyway and was consistant with it.  She got used to it eventually.  Even now, she sometimes prefers to be held, but she gets laid down anyway....unless she's sick.

lnlsmommy
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:15 AM

Dont worry you will get your lil one on a schedule but a tip for nightime, take a shirt of yours and lay in his bed before you put him down for the night.  Its not that he wants you to hold him, but he needs to smell you and that has worked for my kids and all my neices and nephews.

bridey530
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:18 AM

normal.  may have some colic.  try a luke warm bath with a romaine lettuce leaf in it before nursing/bottling for the night, then lay him down.  (no i'm not kidding).

pstarr21
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:00 AM

I definitely understand where you're coming from. My baby girl is 6 weeks old and I dread the nighttime. I try to keep her up during the day so she can sleep through the night, but it seems like she's inherited my "night owl" personality! haha Sometimes she'll stay up during the day but she enjoys sleep way more =)

I can't even tell you how many times I get up because she's crying... sleep deprivation just comes with the territory when you're a mom I guess.

It's normal but good luck!

P.S. The shirt sounds like a good idea. I've heard that abies feel more comfortable if they feel connected to their mom in some way, even if it's just a scent.

bonitamomma3
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:05 AM

here is a bump, my LO just kind of eventually did it on his own, he will be three months next week and will  only wake up once in the middle of the night to eat and then he goes back to sleep.

I'm a first time momma getting in tune with these motherly instincts. I'm a mother to a very active little boy, he is 2 months now, and I am in love with that little monkey!

mommytoG
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:24 AM

Definately try this. It really works. my son had to stay in the NICU after he was born from inhaling fluid and is respirations were in the 100s and should have been like in the high 50s, well to make this short. When I went to see him was calm when I held him and they went down, after I would leave I left the shirt I was wearing the day before rolled up in his bassinette, and would the nurses would move it he freaked. I had threaten them to not move it again, and the next day we got home, not cause of the threat but because I WAS RIGHT and his respirations stayed down the rest of the day and that night because of the shirt.

Quoting lnlsmommy:

Dont worry you will get your lil one on a schedule but a tip for nightime, take a shirt of yours and lay in his bed before you put him down for the night.  Its not that he wants you to hold him, but he needs to smell you and that has worked for my kids and all my neices and nephews.

,,Blinkie Maker,

Braxmommy14
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Welcome to motherhood !!! lol. sorry, had to say it. and like everyone said it is very normal. at this stage they are gonna sleep when they want to and visa versa. probably around 8 weeks things will begin to become more normal. but every baby is different, it may be sooner or take longer ...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)