Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moving my son to his own bed...HELP!!!

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:26 AM
  • 4 Replies

My son turned 3 in Dec. I am a single mom and have a small bed. He has gotten so big now that him sleeping with me is miserable!! I get no sleep. I am trying to ween him out of my bed into his own. He has a nice toddler bed in his own room that he has never used. I have been successful getting him to sleep in his room but he wants me in the room while he falls asleep. If he wakes up and i'm not there he freaks out. I haven't let him in my room for 3 weeks but i find myself sleeping on his floor!! Any advice on how to make this change easier for me and him???? I'm all ears for any tips, advice, or suggestions....

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
waylons_mommy
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:31 AM

could you maybe move his bed into your room. Atleast then he isnt in bed with you and you are still in the same room as him

pricelesslove24
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:32 AM

I just move my 16mo old to her own bed and it is amaizing. she is in a toddler bed that is abt 4 ft from my bed so she is not completly alone and in a couple more weeks we will move her completly out once she gets use to sleeping in her own bed the first night she did really well. but once your son goes to sleep try to sneak out and if he wakes up just simple put him back in his bed and explain to him that he is a big boy now and that big boys sleep in there own bed. you may have to do it several times in one night but in the end it will be worth it.

Mom to Kelvin (5)&Chelsea(15m) Wife to Lance(26).

littlemissyjen
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:35 AM

With my son at that age, I'd lay in bed w/him until he went to sleep. If he woke up in the middle of the night, I would return him to his bed when he came in my room and lay down w/him until he fell asleep again. But I got my son a twin bed instead of a toddler bed for that very reason. It only took about a month for him to stay in his bed all night :) Good luck. 

Photobucket
chrissy780
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:45 AM

we JUST went through this. my son is 3 and we tried moving his bed into our room, sleeping in his room with him, and a few other things.  we settled on putting him in his bed and letting him cry. it is sooo hard because you know what he wants and that you can make him stop, but we would let him cry and then walk him back to his room every time he came out.  it made for a few late nights for all of us, but he is finally sleeping in his own bed.  good luck with everything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)