Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you disicipline a 2 yr. old?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:38 AM
  • 21 Replies

Ok so my amazing son has been PERFECT since the day he was born, he never cried, slept through the night at 3 months and ever since, and then he got to 20 months old and it went down  hill.. Haha..

He is now 21 months and I am thinking the terrible two's may be visiting us. He doesn't listen to a single thing I say. I have tried time out, and I have tried spanking(if he did something really bad). Niether seems to work. He LAUGHS if I spank him, and he doesn't mind sitting in the time out chair in the corner..

I just took him to the tennis courts in my apartment complex and he threw his ball around and chased it for about 15 minutes, but then he started getting really red (we live in Florida its about 82 degrees out today) and I didn't want him to get too hot so I told him it's time to go home. He helped me pack up, but then as soon as he realized it was time to go he threw a tantrum and I had to carry him the WHOLE way home. (There is a huge lake we have to walk past to get home, and he was screaming and didn't want to hold my hand, and I am PETRIFIED of him running into the lake) So I carried him home kicking and screaming and  as soon as we got home he went to time out...

But it really doesn't seem to work. Help!

ON a Lighter note, here is the cutie pie playing at the tennis court before the tantrum. lol

Click Picture to Join "Lookin Fine in '09" a weightloss group!
Photo of Audrina Patridge, edited by AlyssaH87

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissMandaz
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:47 AM

sounds like you and i are in the same boat.. i have started telling my daughter

*crying isnt going to get you anywhere..

*crying isnt going to get what you want...

*Bad girls dont get to watch toons...

*I am not going to fight you on this..

She has started saying please and thankyou.. but it is obvious that she only says it becuase please is the magic word..

i have given up on time out because i, honestly dont have the patience.. plus i have to sit with her and literally make her sit in the time out.. then i have a headache.. and i also have a 16 month old so staying in one spot with her while he is breaking into the bathroom doesnt really work..lol..

good luck... hopefully i can learn something too...

Braylonsmommy19
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:52 AM

I spank and that works for us time-out NEVER worked for us.... I m sorry I can't be more help but all I can say is I think it is a phase because from the time my son turned two until a few months ago I couldn't take him anywhere I didn't go to a store until he was sleeping we never ate out if he was with us I mean it was HORRIABLE.... he would scream, cry, yell, try to hit... but then one day he was a different kid we can take him anywhere he is awesome (knock on wood lol) so maybe it is just a phase he is two and a half

AlyssaH87
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Those are good ideas. Thanks! I hope someone else can help the both of us too! lol

Quoting MissMandaz:

sounds like you and i are in the same boat.. i have started telling my daughter

*crying isnt going to get you anywhere..

*crying isnt going to get what you want...

*Bad girls dont get to watch toons...

*I am not going to fight you on this..

She has started saying please and thankyou.. but it is obvious that she only says it becuase please is the magic word..

i have given up on time out because i, honestly dont have the patience.. plus i have to sit with her and literally make her sit in the time out.. then i have a headache.. and i also have a 16 month old so staying in one spot with her while he is breaking into the bathroom doesnt really work..lol..

good luck... hopefully i can learn something too...

KimG1028
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Just be consistent.  My son is 2 years and 4 months old ... he does get spanked ... he no longer thinks it's funny ... he no longer thinks his time outs are fun either ... so usually he gets a choice...and I ask him ... would you like a time out...or would you like a spanking ... he usually says "time out" ... to which he goes and grabs a book...and opts to sit on the couch and "read"....  it works pretty good ...

Janis198
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:05 PM

My 21 month old loves to go for rides and will cry when we take her out of the car, she won't let us take her coat and shoes off because she wants to go again,. I just say " the ride is done" Yes she still cries, but I just go about my business at home and she stops crying when she is ready too and then she will come to me to take off her coat and shoes. 

Why would i need to punish her for crying because she was sad that the ride was done!? Spanking her for crying for this would make no sence at all.  And make it worse.  The way i do it she learns to sooth herself and get used to knowing when the ride is done.

Janis mommy to 5 great kids, 4 girls and 1 boy

having chocolate

YObando
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:12 PM

ha jazmine is doing the same thing and shes about to be 15 months old. depends on what she does is the punishment. for example, when she goes into the garbage, i spank her butt, she cries for like a split second and tries to go back in there while she smiles. (you know that evil smile they put on) make sure that when you do punish them you dont laugh or smile in front of them becaus ethey think its a joke. (i know this because the hubby does it) also, when you do the time out thing, make sure the tv is not on. and make sure they dont move, i usually get jazmine to sit ont he floor facing me. and when ever she tries to move, i just raise my voice a little and tell her dont move. and she looks at me and shell start crying. buut thats how you know its working. other than  that, tantrums, its a normal thing at their age and i am not looking forward to that... lol good luck mama

AlyssaH87
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:13 PM

When did I say I spanked him for crying?

I was giving an example of what happened today specifically, but when I said I've tried spanking and time outs I meant for other things he's done, like not listen, etc. I put him in time out today for kicking and screaming and throwing a tantrum the whole way home....I am not talking about crying I am talking about a full out tantrum and he got time out, not spanked.

Quoting Janis198:

My 21 month old loves to go for rides and will cry when we take her out of the car, she won't let us take her coat and shoes off because she wants to go again,. I just say " the ride is done" Yes she still cries, but I just go about my business at home and she stops crying when she is ready too and then she will come to me to take off her coat and shoes. 

Why would i need to punish her for crying because she was sad that the ride was done!? Spanking her for crying for this would make no sence at all.  And make it worse.  The way i do it she learns to sooth herself and get used to knowing when the ride is done.

katelynsmom22
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:15 PM

we put our 2 yr old in time out, but she wont sit in it unless she has something to drink.

I did however find out that when SO and his brother were little and they would throw tantrums that SOs mom would set right down there with them and do the same and they would look over and see her and just stop. (she only did this at homeand the boys learned very fast that tantrums wouldnt get them anything)

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Elizabeth1015
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:16 PM

there are several circumstances where my son will cry b/c he doesn't want to do what needs to be done (like get out the bathtub)...but i just let him cry b/c usually it doesn't last too long, he will find something to distract him...i try to understand that at his age (27 months) he doesn't quite understand whats going on (i mean he does, but he's still so young) ...so i try to just look past the crying and understand he is just a baby after all, he's only been on this earth for 2 years...anyway, i try to give him transition time...like before the bath is over i'll tell him that he has only a few minutes left...then i get him out and we  make a big deal of waving to the water and telling it byebye...if he cries or has a fit i just let him do it usually...sometimes i say "oh thats not how big boys act" or something....but like w/ the tennis court incident, if i had brought my son home kicking and screaming, i would have just put him down and found something for him to do...like a juice cup or toys or a movie...i dont think i would have put him in time out just b/c i dont think he's old enough to fully grasp that time out is for cooling down and gaining control of their behavior (thats my purpose of time out anyway)...i know there's no magic advice in my response, but i just wanted to give you an idea of how i do it, maybe it will give you some ideas too

Janis198
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:17 PM

wow some of you women are to sensitive to things people say, I SAID  " Spanking HER for this"  said nothing about you doing it,   Just saying how I do it, I never told you waht you should or shouldn't do, reread it! 

Quoting AlyssaH87:

When did I say I spanked him for crying?

I was giving an example of what happened today specifically, but when I said I've tried spanking and time outs I meant for other things he's done, like not listen, etc. I put him in time out today for kicking and screaming and throwing a tantrum the whole way home....I am not talking about crying I am talking about a full out tantrum and he got time out, not spanked.

Quoting Janis198:

Janis mommy to 5 great kids, 4 girls and 1 boy

having chocolate

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)