Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do u discipline a 16 month old

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:50 AM
  • 3 Replies

My 16 month old daughter jasmine has been the sweetest girl ever since she was born. She was so perfect in every way. sleep all the way through the night at 4 months and never cried, she was always smiling until she turned 16 months.

Every time we tell her to do something she never listens and just keeps doing it. I also have a 5 month old that she just loves to sit on her and tries to pick her up and drag her around the house. We will yell at her and even put her in time out but nothing seems to work, she just keeps doing it. When we spank her for doing something really bad she will just throw her head back and start screaming. But then gets up and do it again. The other thing is that she will throw her plate down on the floor when she is finished eating and break it.

So can anyone help me with figuring out how to discipline my 16 month old.

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Janis198
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:54 AM

get plastic plates. 

And put the baby in play pen where the 16 month old will not be able to sit on and pick up.

Janis mommy to 5 great kids, 4 girls and 1 boy

having chocolate

Elizabeth1015
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:08 PM

the above suggestions are great...b/c she's a baby still herself and she can't control the situation, so you have to do it...you have to take extra steps to keep one step ahead of your toddler...plastic plates...baby gates...play pen...  In my experienced opinion, time outs and spankings dont work for this age...i think they're way to young to understand time out...and spanking a baby, well thats up to you, but i dont see the need in that either...basically, she's a toddler and all these things are what toddlers do...you just have to keep telling her whats right and wrong, keep reminding her to be nice and gentle with the baby (over and over, toddlers need repetition to learn anything) and about the food, do you sit with her while she eats?  my son did that too, b/c i fed him while i did stuff in the kitchen, but when i started sitting with him and talking to him, he stopped throwing his plate...b/c as soon as he was done i could take the plate b4 he threw it, but he did throw it an awful lot!!

Janis198
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:11 PM

That was said very well . :-D

Quoting Elizabeth1015:

the above suggestions are great...b/c she's a baby still herself and she can't control the situation, so you have to do it...you have to take extra steps to keep one step ahead of your toddler...plastic plates...baby gates...play pen...  In my experienced opinion, time outs and spankings dont work for this age...i think they're way to young to understand time out...and spanking a baby, well thats up to you, but i dont see the need in that either...basically, she's a toddler and all these things are what toddlers do...you just have to keep telling her whats right and wrong, keep reminding her to be nice and gentle with the baby (over and over, toddlers need repetition to learn anything) and about the food, do you sit with her while she eats?  my son did that too, b/c i fed him while i did stuff in the kitchen, but when i started sitting with him and talking to him, he stopped throwing his plate...b/c as soon as he was done i could take the plate b4 he threw it, but he did throw it an awful lot!!

Janis mommy to 5 great kids, 4 girls and 1 boy

having chocolate

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)