Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a serial biter!!!

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:02 PM
  • 2 Replies

Hey Ladies,

I have a serious problem.  I have a serial biter.  Only at daycare.  I've posted about this before when he first started.  He sees a toy he wants, he bites, a kid takes his toy, he bites.  Parents are starting to complain about him!  He never does this at home!  I don't know what to do and feel a little lost as to what to do!  He is 17 months and usually so sweet!

Please give advice. 

Having a bad day?  Come vent here WITHOUT the drama of the other groups!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/momsventing

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Janis198
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Maybe start haveing some play dates at your home, so you can teach him how to share and not to bite to get what he wants

Janis mommy to 5 great kids, 4 girls and 1 boy

having chocolate

Juniper1985
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:31 PM

They key to controlling any unwanted behavior in a child is immediate and consistent discipline. If the punishment is always the same and always immediate then the child will learn that a certain action provokes a certain discipline. If the isn't punished until minutes after the fact and the punishment is always different then two different scenarios may happen. He will either learn that he can occasionally get away with it and therefore try again or, due to his young age, he may not even know what he's being punished for. Maybe try, like was mentioned, a playdate at home, or try taking a few hours off work to sit at the daycare and observe maybe what is provoking this bad behavior and so you can correct it right away. Sometimes daycare providers don't catch it right away because there are too many children to focus specifically on yours so sitting there with him gives you the opportunity to see exactly what happens and correct it immediately. Try a few different discipline methods until you find one that he understands and responds to and tell your daycare provider to make sure that he receives that specific discipline every single time and that it's immediate. He is still fairly young so he may not comprehend if you try to explain why its wrong, but it's still a good idea to do so along with another discipline so as he grows he can understand exactly what he's doing and associate that with a disciplinary measure. Best of luck to you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)