Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I listen to the doctor or follow my instincts? (when to feed my 3 month old)

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:35 PM
  • 11 Replies

my daughter's doctor tells me to feed her every four hours (mind u that she is 3 months old) so i tried ,she caved after two hours and i told the doctor this and he said no feed her every four hours. she couldn't drink the regular or soy formula so we are using alimentum (for food allergy).I tried cereal even though he told me not 2 and it seems like it stretches out her feedings the only problem is she may have food intolerance with the rice cereal because she already has eczema because of the other formulas we used at first she couldn't drink so it formed the eczema,  and without the cereal since my daughter can't go without eating after two hours she goes through a can every three or four days. but with the cereal it seems to last a little longer. so should i tell the doctor what i did and find out if there is a cereal that is hypoallergenc like her formula or what? i don't know what to do im a first time mom.

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
perfectmom20
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:36 PM

It's your baby and you know her better than anyone else. Follow your instinct!!! 

holding balloonshappy valentine

lizzer
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:39 PM
go with your instincts!! if your baby is hungry......feed her. a doctor is a doctor but in all reality YOU are with that baby all the time.

pregnancy
a.opat
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:42 PM

go with your insticts

proudnewmommyy
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:47 PM

Go with your instincts, feed your baby when she's hungry... If you really feel a lot of pressure from this doctor to do things HIS way, I would think about looking for another pedi. also. You could ask about the cereal, just remember the parents know their individual child way better than the doctor!

Good luck momma!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Free Blinkies

autumnsmommy02

My son ate every 3 hours and at almost 8 1/2 mos. still has not made it past a 6 oz. bottle. Every baby is different and A LOT of babies will eat every 2-3 hours. At WIC they told me as long as the baby is getting around so many ounces (like 24-36 oz or so) in a 24 hour period it doesn't matter how much they eat in a bottle or how often. It goes by how much they're getting in 24 hours. My son still takes 5-6 ... 6oz. bottles a day while most kids have like 3-4 ... 8 oz. bottles.

I was always told to feed on demand.

inwonderland888

Well first off let me state that I wouldnt be giving her cerel just yet. But thats my OP and you are probably going to be hearing it from other moms too. I would espically not be giving her cerels if she is having eczema and reactions to what she eats. Again... Thats just my OP not trying to bash you at all!!

Then the second thing I would like to state is that all my drs told me to feed my daughter on demand. Whenever she wanted it! Just to make sure she ate atleast every 4 hours no longer. I was told this when she was 2 weeks and 1 month old. She was also jaundice though so they wanted her to eat as much as possible.

By 3 months I went w/ my instincts and at that point knew when she was hungry and wanted to eat. It was usually every 30 mins to two hours... Depending on how long she stayed asleep. She was also breastfed and i think BF babies usually eat more often then formula fed babys.

So my opinion is to feed on demand (whenever she wants it). She is a baby and is going through a major growing period in her life and if she is hungry then she is hungry!!

You could also get a second opinion from a different DR if that makes you feel safer as to what choice yo make!

Quoting InLoveAlready:

my daughter's doctor tells me to feed her every four hours (mind u that she is 3 months old) so i tried ,she caved after two hours and i told the doctor this and he said no feed her every four hours. she couldn't drink the regular or soy formula so we are using alimentum (for food allergy).I tried cereal even though he told me not 2 and it seems like it stretches out her feedings the only problem is she may have food intolerance with the rice cereal because she already has eczema because of the other formulas we used at first she couldn't drink so it formed the eczema,  and without the cereal since my daughter can't go without eating after two hours she goes through a can every three or four days. but with the cereal it seems to last a little longer. so should i tell the doctor what i did and find out if there is a cereal that is hypoallergenc like her formula or what? i don't know what to do im a first time mom.

P13

I agree with the PP go with what you feel My doctors always told me to wake my DD up every 2 hrs to eat but I never did. When she's hungry she'll let me know how can I sleep when she sleeps if I'm constantly waking her up just to force food in her mouth when she was perfectly content sleeping??

bonitamomma3
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Im a first time mom to.  And my little monkey will be three months next week... he will drink about 5-6 oz every three to four hours.. But for awhile he was just like yours eating every two hours and i was going through formula like crazy!! And I was going a little crazy feeding him constantly!!  What me doctor told me to do when he is wanting to eat is to distract him.  Like give him a paci, play on the floor.. I wouldn't feed him till he was screaming for a bottle.  But my monkey was just eating out of habit every two hours.  Once we were able to push it back more he was able to take more at one time which eventually just became routine. 

Good luck.

I'm a first time momma getting in tune with these motherly instincts. I'm a mother to a very active little boy, he is 2 months now, and I am in love with that little monkey!

Lovemybabies429
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:49 PM

they tried to tell me that too when my DD was little, and i didnt listen, i fed her when she was hungry!  you are her mother and you know her way better than they do, they are only saying that because thats the "normal" feeding range, but all babies are different, my DD ate every 2 hours when she was that age.

I am a,breastfeeding,co-sleeping,time-out giving,last resort spanking,Delayed vaccinating,pro-life,healthy eating,disposable diapering,opinionated,non partisan,tatooed, loving,SAHM.And proud of it!

clutterbug2008
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Our Dr told us our son was eating too much (formula) in a day.  He suggested giving the correct daily amount but to water it down a little (an extra ounce or two) per bottle.  Example:  He was taking about 48 oz (6 bottles) a day of formula.  He only needed 40oz (5 bottles)of formula.  So I still gave him 40oz of formula but thinned down so each bottle had 6oz of formula and 2 oz of water. That way he still got the 6 bottles but only got 40 oz of formula.  Hope this explanation is understandable.  BUT all in all go with your instinct.  If your baby is not overweight (and I mean really  overweight) don't worry about it.  Babies know what they need better than the doctor.

Good Luck!

little flowerSandi

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)