Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help me make valid points

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:31 PM
  • 19 Replies

I have been sick lately and yesterday I was riding in the car with my MIL and her mom. I am breastfeeding and usually whenever i get sick I like to drink hot tea with lemon and honey. Well I remember my dr saying you can't give honey to babies for at least a year I believe. So I called a lactation consultant and asked her if it would be ok if I had put honey in my tea. She of course was no help and a waste of my time but that's another story. Anywho my MIL mom asked me why can't I give babies honey she did it with her kids and they all turned out fine. I just told her what the dr told me and she said that was a load of shit and that honey was a natural product and that if she wanted to feed my DD it she would b.c she did it with her kids. Umm...HELLO i know you're her great great g-ma and all but if I don't want my DD to have honey shouldn't she respect my wishes?? So I need some more valids points as to why it's not ok to feed a 3 mth old baby honey. Many thanks in advance ladies :)

Happy early V-day to all you beautiful momma

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momcat437
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:34 PM

I've heard that honey can contain harmful bacteria and you shouldn't give it to a child under a year old---but I'm not sure how that would work with breastfeeding---check online with WebMD or something like that and see what you can find!  Good luck!

candygirl1030
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Found this online:

Who doesn't love honey? It's natural, sweet, and its unique flavor compliments many of our favorite treats. I know I love it, but it should never be given to an infant under 1 year old!

There are 3 types of botulism. Infant botulism, which results from the ingestion of spores. Foodborne botulism, which is the result of direct ingestion of the botulinum toxin. Finally, there is wound botulism, which is the result of a wound becoming infected by Clostridium botulinum.

Iluvjandkplus8
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:36 PM
I just thoght you couldn't give honey to babies because it is a choking hazard. I'm probably totoally wrong. Lindsay
ain-gell72
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:36 PM

i'm sorry, but i have to agree with the g-gma! i think it's bullcrap to have honey banned!

JADIEBUG
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Infant Botulism is a real risk to babies. It kills quickly and very painfully. Honey contains Botulism spores.

BTW...It is OK and perfectly fine for you to eat/drink it. Your body is able to handle it and it can't pass in the mother's milk.

sbilbo
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:41 PM

I don't think it would really affect your baby.  If you think about it...you can drink milk when you are breastfeeding, but they can't have milk until they are a year... I think it would be fine b/c you aren't giving it to her

krazymom2k03
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Honey contains Botulism spores do not  give honey to a baby!!!!!!

My children are  fully vaccinated so yours doesn't have to be!

You're Welcome.

williesmama1

Here's the argument for you: you don't wish for your child to have honey.  Period.  It's your child, not hers.  Just tell her what my husband tells his mother: You had your chance to screw up your kids, now it's my turn.  Back off.

PRbyHeatherD

Honey contains botcholism(spelling) and call kill a baby. They put so much more stuff in food these days that they didn't used to. But def. do not give the baby honey, she would feel horrible if she gave your baby honey and killed her.

staci1103
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Quoting krazymom2k03:

Honey contains Botulism spores do not  give honey to a baby!!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)