Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do we have this a$$ backwards?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:35 PM
  • 12 Replies

Okay, so everything I have been hearing/reading about this new stimulus bill (via news, and Yahoo) have me a bit stumped. Let me see if I've got this straight. . .

They want to bail out more banks, give them more money and more accountability. At the same time the banks are being told to start lending again to qualified recipients. . . My take on this? Who the heck has the money to buy a house right now? If you are losing or lost your job they are not going to sell you a house. No one has A. the down payment B. the credit requirements or C. makes enough money to pay the high interest rates.

They want to create more jobs in home building. . . My take on this? Why the hell do they need to make MORE homes when thousands of homes were just vacated. People can't pay their mortgage rates so they are being foreclosed on. You want to create more homes? How about putting people back into THEIR homes.

They want to give more to the Auto Industry. . . My take on this? Again, same as the banks, no one can afford either the high cost of car payments or the down payment for a new vehicle. So these auto manufacturers are going to make thousands of vehicles that no one can buy which is going to put them back into the same situation they were in before when they almost went bankrupt. Why not have a closing sale on the vehicles they already have in their lots. If it's a couple years old SLASH the price and make it easier for someone to buy.

They want to (no joke) create more theme parks. . . My take on this? Sure, it will create jobs but only seasonally. You'll have a job six months out of the year and then collect unemployment the rest. So for half of the year you might make decent money and the rest of the year you will be living barely above the poverty level. Not to mention WHO HAS THE MONEY to go to the theme park? The charge an arm and a leg for admission, food (which you have to eat THEIR food) and for anything else your child might want once you get there. Really? People are broke, jobless and homeless and you think their going to have a family day at a theme park?

They want to create more jobs by building roads. . . My take on this? Again, it will create jobs but possibly only seasonally. While it's always nice to drive down a smoothly paved highway that is not a necessity. I don't care what bumps the road has as much as I care about my financial future.

They are giving retailers and big business' tax breaks because of how much they've lost. . . My take on this? We don't make enough to shop in those stores and yet they still get our money? They're going to take from our pocket (via taxes) to give to stores that we can't even benefit from? We can't afford to shop there so they shouldn't get our money, point blank. Sure, I know that means laying off the people there but. . . here's my plan.

Why not give THE AMERICAN PEOPLE small bonuses over a short period of time. Not one large lump sum like last time. Maybe a few hundred here and there. Make deals with banks, and with major creditors to lower all interest rates as a "good faith" gesture. Lower interest rates on credit cards, mortgages and car payments would help people to crawl their way out of debt and possibly keep their homes, cars, etc. Create more jobs in future businesses that benefit us all. Such as energy research. Or health care. Give our Doctors tax breaks so that the hospitals aren't understaffed. Create more jobs by refurbishing hospitals and health care facilities. Things WE NEED. Create tax breaks and incentives for insurance companies to make it easier for the public to get health care coverage for their families. There are ways to create jobs and help the American People. . . I just wonder why the only one's thinking of these things happen to live AWAY from DC. Why on earth can't our congress and even President make headway for US? Who benefits from this stimulus bill? The same wall street schmucks who did last time. Their trying to convince all of us that it's what's best but it isn't. We don't benefit. So what, we might get a small amount of money back each month in our paychecks? $13 dollars is not going to buy me more food for my family, cover our healthcare costs that are outstanding or help to put more gas in my car. Whoo-hoo. $13 dollars... I should be jumping for joy right now, excuse me while I DON'T.

GlitterAmberCatchyCreationbyAmy.gif picture by preemiemommy
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nikki1218
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:39 PM

clapping

wilesmomma
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Quoting Nikki1218:

clapping

PRbyHeatherD
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Well Put!!! Very nice! Very Nice!

ain-gell72
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:46 PM

HOT DAMN! I love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HJMT555
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:50 PM

great vent and yes i agree good luck getting the whos who to think WE the average Americans need help or may have great ideas oh yeah we have no idea, because we are average and big business is nothing we know about.banging head into wall

LoveMyBugs
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Thanks, lol. I'm just a bit frustrated at this point!

Quoting ain-gell72:

ain-gell72
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:55 PM

me too, me too! I put up a post asking for someone to put this so called thing into layman's terms for me, and i got maybe 15 answers, most of which they didn't know either! lol

you, my friend, answered it perfectly!

Quoting LoveMyBugs:

Thanks, lol. I'm just a bit frustrated at this point!

Quoting ain-gell72:

mommytoG
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:55 PM

I heard yesterday that all Americans will be getting 13 dollars a month for 4 months. Whooopty Fricking Doo a whole 13 extra dollars. What good is that going to do

,,Blinkie Maker,

LoveMyBugs
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:58 PM

You know, that is the thing. I don't pretend to know a single thing about business. That is my DH's area. He has a masters in business. But anyway! I do know what would benefit my life, my children, my brother's and sisters, parents, etc. I hear about people losing their jobs, homes. My Brother just lost his job (during his housebuying process). They had a small 2 bedroom and are about to have their 4th child. They had the money to buy and then he got laid off. Yes, he has the money he saved to buy and no, he's not homeless. But if he would have bought that house and then got laid off he would have been. It's just sad to hear about these stories. People struggling to live, day to day. It makes me so angry that other's think they know what is best for us. We're not little kids who cannot think for themselves. My DH is military so we've been thankful for the continued income, no matter what but even our insurance - the Almighty TriCare doesn't even pay for my daughters more complicated medical supplies or hospital visits. We have $90 copays for some meds. It's all just ridiculous.

Quoting HJMT555:

great vent and yes i agree good luck getting the whos who to think WE the average Americans need help or may have great ideas oh yeah we have no idea, because we are average and big business is nothing we know about.banging head into wall

LoveMyBugs
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:00 PM

I know... I wonder what I'll spend it on... Uh... can't think of a single thing I can get for $13 that makes a difference in our household. Good grief!

Quoting mommytoG:

I heard yesterday that all Americans will be getting 13 dollars a month for 4 months. Whooopty Fricking Doo a whole 13 extra dollars. What good is that going to do

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)