• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

nuva ring recall

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:55 PM
  • 6 Replies

The NuvaRing, a low-estrogen contraceptive device has recently been linked to serious, life-threatening side effects including blood clots (venous thromboembolic events) in women.

If you or a loved one have been injured by the NuvaRing contraceptive device and subsequently developed a blood clot or suffered from a stroke, heart attack, pulmonary embolism, transient ischemic attack, or deep venous thrombosis, ou should contact us immediately. You may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and we can help.

What’s the problem?

The NuvaRing is manufactured by Organon USA, Inc. and was approved in October 2001 by the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) for sale in the United States.

The NuvaRing is a combined contraceptive vaginal ring (CCVR). The NuvaRing consists of two main hormonal components: (i) Ethinylestradiol or ethinyl estradiol, which is the estrogen hormone component and (ii) etonogestrel, which is the progestin, or progestogen, hormone component.

Over a three-week period, the NuvaRing birth control device is designed to release 15 micrograms of ethinyl estradiol (Estrogen) and 120 micrograms etonogestrel (Progestogen) per day.

Due to the aforementioned hormonal dosages, the FDA has classified the NuvaRing as a “low-estrogen-dose contraceptive” ... However, the NuvaRing contains a relatively high dose of etonogestrel, which is a metabolite of the dangerous so-called "third-generation" progestin desogestrel (DSG) contraceptives.

In February 2007 the consumer advocacy group Public Citizen petitioned the FDA by sending a letter entitled "Petition to the FDA to Ban Third Generation Oral Contraceptives Containing Desogestrel due to Increased Risk of Venous Thrombosis" … in short, the letter included the following important information:

Based on the epidemiologic evidence from these studies, including two meta-analyses, Public Citizen has concluded that third generation oral contraceptives essentially double the risk of venous thrombosis when compared to second generation oral contraceptives. The FDA acknowledged this in a statement in November 1995 stating “new studies indicate about a two-fold increase in the risk of venous blood clots associated with products containing desogestrel.” The risk essentially translates to about 1.5 additional incidents of thromboembolic disease per 10,000 women-years.

Side Effects of NuvaRing®

There are a variety of side effects associated with NuvaRing. Our firm is pursing the following types of serious, life-threatening side effects:

• Blood Clots
  • Stroke
  • Heart Attack
  • Deep Vein Thrombosis
  • Myocardial Infarction
  • Cerebrovascular Accidents
  • Pulmonary Embolism
  • Death

Do I have a NuvaRing® Lawsuit?

The Defective Drug & Medical Device Litigation Group at our law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focus exclusively on the representation of plaintiffs in NuvaRing lawsuits. We are pursuing individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new NuvaRing cases in all 50 states.

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
NewMom304
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Crazy stuff.  That's why I stick to the copper IUD.

jesamomma25
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:07 PM

I've been on nuva ring for almost two years with no side effects weird though

steffielou_who
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:13 PM

I useed it and it ended up cutting my insides... Like, when I put my fingers in to put it in, I could feel cuts and scrapes in the skin... I know.. TMI!

mommystar3
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:26 PM

ummm where in this  does it mention recall ????

sounds like just another lawyer trying to make $ off the percentage of  people that do have a rare side effect

mommystar3
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:28 PM

yeah I thought so                    

should contact us immediatelySchmidt & Clark | A National Law Firm

ashley2004842
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:32 PM

me to

Quoting jesamomma25:

I've been on nuva ring for almost two years with no side effects weird though

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)