Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty-Trained Pee-er

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 5:07 PM
  • 5 Replies

My son is 6-years-old, and potty-trained like a champ (took him 2 days to get the hang of it).  More recently--for a few months now--he has been peeing in his pants.  He pees in his pants more often than not, and during the day.. never wetting his bed night at all.  Before this incident became such a recurring event, he had a problem before holding it in until the very last minute---not wanting to stop whatever activity he was in the middle of doing in order to take a bathroom break.  These days, it hardly seems to be the case.  It feels like he just gives up on going to the restroom all together, and decided he would just go in his pants from now on.  I don't understand what is going on w. him.  I've tried many different methods within range of positive re-inforcement (showing him concern, putting him in pull-ups--which truthfully worked for a little bit).  He's also been punished, possessions/favorite activity priviledges taken away---which he has never responded too well to in the first place.  It has taken on a new level of frustration for me.  I don't know what to do anymore. Help !!

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 5:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mommytoG
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 5:10 PM

I am not sure.  but here is a bump for ya

,,Blinkie Maker,

mommy2bunny
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Well, does he drink whole milk?  The reason I ask is because my sister and my nephew are allergic to the milk fat.  What the milk fat does, is numb the bladder making it impossible for them to feel they need to pee, therefor, wetting their pants.  They can't feel it until it's running down their leg.   

DeTora_Family
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 5:39 PM

bump

That's a tough one!  I'm on the outrageous side when it comes to what I perceive to be stubborn and/or lazy behavior.  Since I do not know your son, it's not my place to know what he's thinking and why he's really doing this.  It could be emotional, so I'd probably discuss it with his pediatrician and teachers at school.  I'd try to get to the root of what's causing the problem.  If it comes down to nothing more than being lazy and stubborn, I'd get pretty tough.

My sister and I teamed up on my nephew when he stopped using the potty at three, almost four.  He had been out of diapers with no problems for two years at the time.

Take him to the store and buy a package of diapers with his allowance/money from his piggy bank and tell him that the next time he pees in his pants, you will put a diaper on him and he can go back to being a baby again.  Babies lives are not very exciting for a three-year-old, let alone a six-year-old.  (my nephew lasted less than 48 hours).  There will be no cartoons, playdates, school, or big boy toys, pizza, ice cream, or french fries.  Babies take naps and their toys are not very exciting, but that's the life of a baby and it's his choice.  You have to be more stubborn and keep a totally calm, matter-of-fact attitude.  Make him believe that you do not care in the least about him going back to being a baby, and that you're supportive of whatever choice he makes.  Say something like "Just let me know when you want to be big boy again so I know how to take care of you," and then go about your day.  I guess over the holiday weekend would be enough to get him turned around.

~Please read my toddler blog-Raising Rocco~

I am a green, natural-birthing, co-sleeping, non-CIO, baby-wearing, cloth-diapering, extended-breastfeeding, non-spanking, delayed-vaccinating, early toilet-teaching, Irish Catholic mama of advanced maternal age to my extended rear-facing Italian bambino. You don't have to agree, but that's me. Nice to meet you.

DeTora_Family
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 5:42 PM

Quoting mommy2bunny:

Well, does he drink whole milk?  The reason I ask is because my sister and my nephew are allergic to the milk fat.  What the milk fat does, is numb the bladder making it impossible for them to feel they need to pee, therefor, wetting their pants.  They can't feel it until it's running down their leg.   

Always best to rule out medical/emotional problems before trying anything.  This is good information about milk allergies.  I did not know this, but will remember it!

CariO.
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 5:44 PM

I don't have children that old, but can't you just arrange ahead of time to take him to the bathroom (or have him taken by someone if he's at school) like every 2 -3 hours?  Sounds like he's just forgetting until it's too late.  That wouldn't happen if an adult took him to the bathroom in regular intervals. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)